• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collection Growth. When to say when.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just took a proper count, after losing some males recently. 43 tarantulas, 27 scorpions, 7 species of roach colonies, and 3 Amblypygi. I have room for one more set of shelves in my bedroom, which will be my scorpion shelves. I kind of went scorp crazy and purchased all of mine in the last two months. Even though I know I'm out of room, I keep seeing specimens I want, and I keep buying them. Feeding and maintenance has started to be much more time consuming. I'm going to have to stop, as much as it pains me. So, since I already arranged it, I'm getting a shipment of 3 or 4 scorps and a freebie centipede next week, and then I'm calling it quits. There are MANY more bugs I want to keep and raise and breed, but it's becoming a bit too much. Several of the tarantulas listed are Giant slings, that will grow to require ten gallon tanks, at the least, some maybe 20 gal..I don't want to look too closely at that right now...:p Not to mention breeding projects with all of the different inverts. I'm very content with my bugs, so it's no big deal, the problem is controlling myself. It's very easy to say "One more won't hurt" until you say it several times. Is anyone else reaching that point in their collection? I just don't want my awesome hobby to become a burden, and the truth is my room makes me look like an invertebrate hoarder, with all the stacks of slings and mismatched enclosures. Even the tolerant people in my life are looking at me like "Jesus, enough man.." And then they oohh and ahhh over my animals..lol...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I'm getting to that point now. Many of my slings are outgrowing their homes and although I have some of the new homes ready I'm running out of space for the larger containers. Thank goodness I bought quite a lot of dwarf Ts as their next moves will hopefully be their final ones.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's one of the things that bothers me..I never got any dwarf tarantulas, and there are quite a few I want, I could go on, that's the tip of the iceberg..and I'm assuming when I get my S Dehanni I'm going to freak the hell out, go centipede crazy, and get 6 more..but I can't. :( If half my collection were dwarves I would be much better off, space wise.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's one of the things that bothers me..I never got any dwarf tarantulas, and there are quite a few I want, I could go on, that's the tip of the iceberg..and I'm assuming when I get my S Dehanni I'm going to freak the hell out, go centipede crazy, and get 6 more..but I can't. :( If half my collection were dwarves I would be much better off, space wise.
Now come on mass, look at my signature......you don't want to be one of those negative people now do you......lol :D. Totally understand, I am going to have to thin my collection when they grow due to space issues. I am hoping that the multiples I have will be able to be moved on fairly easily though. Alternative......an outside (insulated) Office where I can grow the collection and possibly start breeding but that is a few grands worth of investment.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know just what you mean. I had the same experience a couple months ago when i posted i'm done :)

The contractor is finally finishing the walls in my bedroom from the water damage earlier this year, so once he's done the carpet and flooring people will have to come in and clean or replace. After that i can move my Ts back into my room and re-evaluate the space. I'm hoping i have room for a couple more cause there's a few i really want to get, like the Phormictopus (or however it's spelled).

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Yeah, I'm getting there. I'm almost out of bug space, I don't know what I'm going to do! :confused: There are sooooo many other species to want to keep, you know? I mean I'm sure I'll be able to find more space somewhere, but sometimes I worry that I already have too many bugs. Point is, I feel you man, I'm sure most of the people here do. We just love inverts so much, it's hard not to get more lol!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a shop. I could control the climate in the whole room, with plenty of space, and easier access to my enclosures. To me that would be like keeping my dog in a cage outside. Or even in the yard. Hell no, my dogs sleep next to my bed and get in everyone's business. :p My spiders will reside in a proper home, like a well raised spider should. And no public schools, either :D

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I have a shop. I could control the climate in the whole room, with plenty of space, and easier access to my enclosures. To me that would be like keeping my dog in a cage outside. Or even in the yard. Hell no, my dogs sleep next to my bed and get in everyone's business. :p My spiders will reside in a proper home, like a well raised spider should. And no public schools, either :D

I understand that, but at the same time, why not take advantage of the space in your shop and get a whole bunch of new bugs? :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Imagine it, a temperature controlled room, probably a lot of space for shelves, your collection could double in size! You're making me want a shop now lol! :D
Not to mention you can build a breezeway so it's attached to the house, if it isn't already. then they would be raised in the home.....

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The ban keeps me from getting out of control. Plus, I rent and they do inspections once in a while. I have to keep it to an amount that I can easily hide. And those two G. pulchripes are going to need much bigger enclosures at one point.
I'm at nine after I pick up the ones that I have ordered next weekend. And I want a couple of the Euathlus sp. Red that Tarantula Canada just got in. After that, I have to stop.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sensing I'm reaching that point. It's certainly not a chore yet, but I have many slings, and many more coming if breeding goes well, this year. That's what is on my mind the most. I don't want so much going on that I can't give them all my full attention. Its just time to cap it off I suppose. I've said it many times, but now there's no slack.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sensing I'm reaching that point. It's certainly not a chore yet, but I have many slings, and many more coming if breeding goes well, this year. That's what is on my mind the most. I don't want so much going on that I can't give them all my full attention. Its just time to cap it off I suppose. I've said it many times, but now there's no slack.

This is why I don't want to get into breeding, I couldn't cope with all of those babies to deal with.

kenney

3 Year Member
Ive got 17 and a 2000 s.f. home that i own, have, not sure yet how many is enough. Dam sister got me into snakes, although my wants their are limited to hog nose, house snake and maybe a ball or 2

Latest posts