• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beth

Bethan567

Coco coir is coconut fiber substrate you can buy it in block form or ready to use bags which are slightly dearer. I mix spiderlife with coco fiber but spiderlife on it's own will be fine or coco coir on it's own
U know my mature male Indian violet earth tiger. Do u know of any 1 who would want to breed with him before he dies. Don't know how that works either as some of the videos I have come across about spiderling pouches were shocking I mean hundreds sometimes. What the hell and how would u be able to care for all of them at once...

Seamus

3 Year Member
U know my mature male Indian violet earth tiger. Do u know of any 1 who would want to breed with him before he dies. Don't know how that works either as some of the videos I have come across about spiderling pouches were shocking I mean hundreds sometimes. What the hell and how would u be able to care for all of them at once...
Again @Phil is the best person to ask if he doesn't know he will put you onto someone who does know. If you look at the top right of your screen you will see 4 icons press the search icon (magnifying glass) and type in @Phil and message him

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a labour of love that's for sure! need to dedicate about 4 hours just for feeding them. It's such a rewarding feeling though.
Typically if you have a male a few things to consider
1. try to find someone who has a history of breeding and a good reputation
2. decide if selling the male or want to agree a breeding loan and sling deal. you will need to agree the %split with the owner of the female (typically 50/50 but a lot of people are just happy with a handful so they can hopefully get a female of their own when they grow up).
3. The male normally goes to the female not the other way round and so you may also need to be prepared to post if you cant find a female locally.
4. Mating is dangerous for the male, some more so depending on species, and so be prepared he may not live to tell the tale. This is nature and it can be cruel. My male Avic kwitara became lunch today.

I dont have a female of that species, sorry.

Hope that helps :)

Bethan567

It's a labour of love that's for sure! need to dedicate about 4 hours just for feeding them. It's such a rewarding feeling though.
2. decide if selling the male or want to agree a breeding loan and sling deal. you will need to agree the %split with the owner of the female (typically 50/50 but a lot of people are just happy with a handful so they can hopefully get a female of their own when they grow up).
3. The male normally goes to the female not the other way round and so you may also need to be prepared to post if you cant find a female locally.
4. Mating is dangerous for the male, some more so depending on species, and so be prepared he may not live to tell the tale. This is nature and it can be cruel. My male Avic kwitara became lunch today.

Oh my god it died☹️

Bethan567

Hi r u the breeder Seamus was talking about?

Bethan567

Bethan567

Hi there Phil. Would u recommend some slings u think might be OK for me. How does that work? Thanks

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh my god it died☹
Sorry to hear about your spider. Please don't be disheartened. Unfortunately once a male matures, his clock is ticking and the best he can hope for in the months they have left is to either a) find a lady spider to play with or b) see their days out in comfort and being cared for. Personally, I would always go for option a) as captive breeding keeps the genus available for others and reduces the need for removing livestock from their natural habitat. But b) is just as acceptable especially when he has been a loved pet for so long and so the thought of not seeing him again and learning of his demise is not always palatable.

RIP little fella.

Bethan567

Sorry to hear about your spider. Please don't be disheartened. Unfortunately once a male matures, his clock is ticking and the best he can hope for in the months they have left is to either a) find a lady spider to play with or b) see their days out in comfort and being cared for. Personally, I would always go for option a) as captive breeding keeps the genus available for others and reduces the need for removing livestock from their natural habitat. But b) is just as acceptable especially when he has been a loved pet for so long and so the thought of not seeing him again and learning of his demise is not always palatable.

RIP little fella.
Yes it's my first adult to go and knowing that's happening is quite devastating actually. Don't know what I'm going to do when it happens. At the min he is here. I know he's had a happy few mths even tho I knew there was something wrong the day I brought him home. This forum had been great and I may be able to progress being here. Xx

Seamus

3 Year Member
I'm sure you will progress nicely it's all about learning more about them . If you ever think of getting another let us know on here before you purchase the spider what species you are getting and we can all help by creating a kind of care sheet for you . Believe me I am still learning things :)

Bethan567

Your in luck then phil has 4 for sale at the moment
I have one they are stunning tarantulas
How do u look after that particular spider. R they wet or dry? He said he had them just don't know how to go a out buying them. Not too confident on slings. Allready lost 2. First 1 dehydrated and that was my fault but second had a bad shed at 4 mths and buckled back legs. Died. Ain't tried again

Bethan567

How do u look after that particular spider. R they wet or dry? He said he had them just don't know how to go a out buying them. Not too confident on slings. Allready lost 2. First 1 dehydrated and that was my fault but second had a bad shed at 4 mths and buckled back legs. Died. Ain't tried again
I have been told that my red knee is female but had it from the same shop so don't know what it is.?

Seamus

3 Year Member
Gbb are kept dry the only thing you will need is a water dish and some fake plants or twigs for anchor points for webbing. Message phil and ask how big they are they might be grown on slings. Let me know if you get one I will help out as much as I can

Latest posts