• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner T's discussion thread

Jakob

3 Year Member
Hey one question, fruit flies aren't available where I live, I'm not sure about pinhead crickets either, will make a call later today and ask. Rather small mealworms are available though. Are there any other alternatives for feeding slings?
Or can most 2cm slings take down a 2cm mealworm?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey one question, fruit flies aren't available where I live, I'm not sure about pinhead crickets either, will make a call later today and ask. Rather small mealworms are available though. Are there any other alternatives for feeding slings?
Or can most 2cm slings take down a 2cm mealworm?
If you absolutely must use mealworms, then make sure you crush the heads so they can't burrow out of sight. Crickets are your best option. They don't have to be pinheads. You can simply crush the head of the cricket or just cut up a larger one and feed it to them. Fruit flies are a pain to deal with.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was considering G. pulchripes or B. Smithi.
Tarantulas are a rare sight where I live so it would be great to have something that can be handled. I will check out the species you guys suggested. Pokies and Theraphosa are a no-no in handling right?

Do you recommend any stores that sell T's in London? Preferrably close to Oxford street.
In my experience, pulchripes are not nice :) I've handled a few of my tarantulas, but only rarely, and half the incidents were by accident. My P metallica has teleported onto me twice, my regalis once. Although they showed no aggression, I try to avoid that :p
they go for dead crickets? just by using tongs then?
You can also use superworms. Just cut it in half, the front part will kick it's legs and attract the sling. And yes, a sling can easily take down a superworm that's the same length as its legspan. I feed all my slings supers, they grow and thrive just fine.

Latest posts