• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner T's discussion thread

Jakob

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I was wondering which species of T's would be ideal for beginners.

Please discuss which species YOU would think that are suitable, and why.

Cheers.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B. Smithi is my top pick for that one i think. They are hardie and easy to care for and usually docile. everything u need as a beginner....oh yeah also very pretty spiders.

newtots

3 Year Member
Any euathlus sp.... Proving to be difficult to come by but amazingly docile and even friendly. I'd recommend jon300's video on YouTube about beginner species. He mentions that his euathlus is even reluctant to go in its enclosure and prefers to be out and handled

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it doesn't have to be super fluffy docile and you're a hands-off keeper, i.e. NO handling just enjoy watching your spider do their thing, may I suggest the A. Geniculata? Beautiful, grows large, is a great display animal (mine only ever hides occasionally when in premolt), superb appetite and easy to keep. Although they are meant to be on the skittish/defensive side (most of it is probably down to considering everything in their vicinity as potential food), my subadult female has never so much thrown a threat pose or flicked hair (I'll give it time though, she's got some more to grow, lol).

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just hope that she continues to behave. A.geniculata are said to have some of the worst urticating hairs of any tarantula [emoji14]

Jakob

3 Year Member
I was considering G. pulchripes or B. Smithi.
Tarantulas are a rare sight where I live so it would be great to have something that can be handled. I will check out the species you guys suggested. Pokies and Theraphosa are a no-no in handling right?

Do you recommend any stores that sell T's in London? Preferrably close to Oxford street.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The majority of Tarantulas are a no-no in handling ;) I can't help you there because I don't handle and I don't believe in handling.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I was considering G. pulchripes or B. Smithi.
Tarantulas are a rare sight where I live so it would be great to have something that can be handled. I will check out the species you guys suggested. Pokies and Theraphosa are a no-no in handling right?

Do you recommend any stores that sell T's in London? Preferrably close to Oxford street.

I don't know any stores in London so can't help you there,but I can highly recommend a couple of online shops and you'll get a better selection to choose from as well anyway have a look at.
www.thespidershop.co.uk
www.tarantulasbristol.co.uk
www.exotic-animals.co.uk

There's more but you should be able to find what you want from these.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd also recommend B. albopilosum or smithi and I'd agree with Ghost about the online shops. Ts bought from pet shops are often poorly kept and the staff don't usually know much about them so give bad advice.

timc

3 Year Member
Anything in the Brachypelma genus is usually a good place to start. Individuals are generally not too testy, have long life spans, and the ones I owned in the past were usually out and about when they start getting bigger. Great gateway spiders...because you'll want more ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I was wondering which species of T's would be ideal for beginners.

Please discuss which species YOU would think that are suitable, and why.

Cheers.
I agree with all of the answers posted. Just remember, all spiders are individuals, regardless of species..I have a 2" G pulchra that thinks it's an obt, and 2 obts that have never given me a threat posture...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Entity I did see 0.25" of orange leg this morning through her door/web. She was my first T, bought for her stunning colour 19 months ago and only seen about once every couple of months. I guess she's happy, she eats well and every so often she'll do her housework and chuck a pile of rubbish out of her cave for me to remove.

timc

3 Year Member
The 4 OBTs I've met don't need too much of a reason to get feisty ;) my first one just needed an open lid to throw those legs up and fangs out. However it was quite impressive to see a cricket grabbed before it hit the sub. All around great spider:T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The 4 OBTs I've met don't need too much of a reason to get feisty ;) my first one just needed an open lid to throw those legs up and fangs out. However it was quite impressive to see a cricket grabbed before it hit the sub. All around great spider:T:
I still think S.calceatum is worse. It's the only tarantula that truly scares me when I have to rehouse them.

Latest posts