• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic project thread

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feeding update
Fed #3 first since it's molt this past week, 1/2"+ roach, slam-o-matic! Hit it hard.
Here's a pic of it holding the roach through webbing
#3 eat after molt.jpg

#1 and #2, good strikes and easier pics to see
#1 eating before molt.jpg
#2 eating before molt.jpg

#4 is where is got interesting. This guy must be close to premolt as not only did it not eat it threw a threat post at the roach and attached it, driving it away. So that's basically the do not disturb sign right there. I give it a week or so before molt. Let's see if that hold true.
#4 threatening roach.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
#3 was hanging out of its web hammock this morning, I assumed that meant it was hungry so I fed all 4 of these guys

#4 still refusing to eat, even tried a smaller roach than last time.

#3, already molted to 6i a few weeks ago, got a larger roach this time and nailed it instantly.
#1 and 2 both took 1/2" roaches, same size as last time, and pounced on arrival.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed #1 and #4 their first meals since molting last week. 1/2" cricket each. Quick and easy.

Fed #3 a 5/8" cricket. It came out of its web-hammock to snatch it up. I see this fellow out of its webbing more and more.

#2 still has not molted.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed these guys today, decided to try and feed #2 a small, medium sized cricket and it attached it, so still not eating and has yet to molts.
Dang, T. Let's do this already

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
#2 decided to molt early this morning after fighting off a feeder yesterday afternoon lol

IMG_20200617_053212.jpg
IMG_20200617_053230.jpg

See you for a feeding a week from tomorrow!

That brings all of these to 6i but I have not tried to molts sex any of them as the exos were left deep in their webbing and I'd have to wreck them out

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed all 4 of these slings (now 6i, so pretty much juveniles) their first mealworms today

A few pics
IMG_20200702_065940.jpg
IMG_20200702_070421.jpg
IMG_20200702_111151.jpg

And a failed video of the drop

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed these guys again, about once a week now, and got a few shots of Mikey with his roach slurpee
PXL_20210228_005109611._exported_966_1614474577170.jpg
PXL_20210228_005134850.MP~2.jpg

I'll post a few enclosure update pics soon. These guys have been with me for a just about a year, coming up in about a month, and they will be ready for a rehouse by then I think.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last one of 4 of these avics molted overnight; still looking like a pile of teenage hairy leg wax beans

PXL_20210228_171413954.MP.jpg

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I must say, this has been a pretty informative thread @octanejunkie. Answered a bunch of questions for me. I do still have a few though
1: when feeding mealworms to slings, do you crush heads or no?
2: There is a website offering different morph types that I have yet to see here like A. sp. Columbia, A. sp. Peru, Pedersoni and a few more. Are these just localities or variants of Avic Avic?
Im thinking about getting the sp. Columbia.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I must say, this has been a pretty informative thread @octanejunkie. Answered a bunch of questions for me. I do still have a few though
1: when feeding mealworms to slings, do you crush heads or no?
2: There is a website offering different morph types that I have yet to see here like A. sp. Columbia, A. sp. Peru, Pedersoni and a few more. Are these just localities or variants of Avic Avic?
Im thinking about getting the sp. Columbia.
Sorry for late response, @Phobik1

1. no
2. I don't know of a single site that has 100% conclusively accurate info in all species in the genera Avicularia, but there are several you can consult, this one is pretty good, and sciencey:

Here's the specifics on the top/popular morphotypes, with pics

Latest posts