• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic project thread

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, it must be the covid because I couldn't stop myself and now there are these 4 new deli cup slings on my T shelf

I'll let these guys acclimate before making proper introductions, but here are a few pics

IMG_20200421_150147.jpg
IMG_20200421_134207.jpg

Thanks to @treynkarissa for a smooth transaction!

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Introductions are in order

This is Leonardo, or Leo.
He was the first vial I opened and the most "cautious" sling of the group.
IMG_20200422_144529.jpg

This is Michelangelo, or Mikey.
He basically ran out of his vial and has been the most visible since arrival.
IMG_20200422_145056.jpg

This is Raphael, Raph for short.
He is the largest of the group and seemed to not respond to my paint brush coaxing him into his enclosure.
IMG_20200422_145107.jpg

And this is Donatello, or Donny.
The typical overachiever, he already created a web overnight.
IMG_20200422_145140.jpg

I will feeding these guys once weekly to match what their previous feed schedule was and I will be tracking their development and planning the next phase of the project after a few weeks of acclimation.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Introductions are in order

This is Leonardo, or Leo.
He was the first vial I opened and the most "cautious" sling of the group.
View attachment 45196

This is Michelangelo, or Mikey.
He basically ran out of his vial and has been the most visible since arrival.
View attachment 45197

This is Raphael, Raph for short.
He is the largest of the group and seemed to not respond to my paint brush coaxing him into his enclosure.
View attachment 45199

And this is Donatello, or Donny.
The typical overachiever, he already created a web overnight.
View attachment 45198

I will feeding these guys once weekly to match what their previous feed schedule was and I will be tracking their development and planning the next phase of the project after a few weeks of acclimation.
Very good looking. You also came up with some impressive names right there!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Two weeks in and two feedings, I have noted both feedings that sling #2, Mikey, is 2-3 days delayed in eating. I feed them all on Saturday and Mikey doesn't eat until Wednesday (obviously fresh food)

From a webbing standpoint, #4 Donny was the first to web, but after a few weeks, the other 3 have webbed much more having created hammock type webs along the top of the enclosures, with #3 Raph having the most well developed web of all. Raph is also the largest and first/fastest to eat when fed.

It's fun to track these guys lol

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
#3 molted overnight, not ironically it had also built the most-dense web hammock of all it's fellow slings. Will post pics later today on webbing of these guys, and #3's new size
FWIW, these guys were all fed last on Friday, 4 days ago.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One Month Update

These slings have been with me for just a little over a month and in that time they have pretty much webbed the crap out of their enclosures, all but 1 of them lol

Here's #1, Leonardo
IMG_20200521_143649.jpg

Good webbing, good eater, but not a hunter

#2 Michelangelo
IMG_20200521_143645.jpg

Weakest webbing of all, good eater but also not a hunter.

#3 Raphael
IMG_20200521_143637.jpg

First to molt a few days ago, this guy is a scrappy hunter and have seen him snag prey off the substrate as well as go down to the water bowl.

#4 Donatelo
IMG_20200521_143634.jpg

Good webbing, good eater but not a hunter

Overall these are 4 very different spiders, and I'm learning a lot from this project. I don't expect any scientific breakthroughs but for my own experience this is a perfect way to see the differences between individuals from the same sac as they develop.

Regarding the enclosures, also part of the experiment, I'm glad they are not in top openers because it would be stressful for both them and me every time I had to get in there, but a port at the top would be handy... Project 2.1 perhaps

The good and bad about these enclosures is they are light, meaning a stiff wind could probably blow one off a shelf lol but they also don't latch shut, so a fall would likely lead to an escape. I have not had that happen.

The water bowl in a water bowl (2 cups stacked) makes water changes super easy. The bottom cup is glued to the base and substrate filled around it. Take the top cup out, pop a clean one in and done, water changed.

Regarding feeding. I've tried feeders loose, and only #3 will come down to hunt them, so I mostly put the feeders in the webbing. It's actually pretty easy:
1. take top off base and set it down upside down (open end up)​
-let it set for a min or 2 and the T will turn itself over so it's upright​
2. find opening to web tube (hammock) it will be at one end or the other​
3. insert feeder into opening of web tube with tongs​
Unless the feeder runs the other way they usually run right into the T and gets nailed

Boluses are in the webbing because I've never found one on the substrate nor have they smudged the sides of the enclosures. They are very shy/tidy with their poop, unlike my tapi. That guy is an assh0le, shoots poop on the front door and goes back to it's hide. lol

I removed the moss around the base for a few reasons, mostly because I didn't want it to stay too damp in there. I spray the sub lightly each week when I replace the water bowl and I drop water into the top and webbing when I top off and feed. That part is easy, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts