• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any experienced Heteropoda davidbowie breeders?

SpiderCafe

I have a dilemma. I have a MM and MF but they may be sack mates. I got them from same seller: FNT. I also got two females that need 2 more molts to reach full maturity. My male matured 4-5 months ago. Should I wait for other two females to mature or pair him up with probable sack mate? How long do the males live after reaching maturity? Picture of premature female and male who is ready to go.

Attachments

• HdavidbowieFemStack_01 copy.jpg
    HdavidbowieFemStack_01 copy.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 15
  • HbowieStackMale_01.jpg
    HbowieStackMale_01.jpg
    14.4 MB · Views: 15

MBullock

3 Year Member
you'll probably get another 5-6 months but he might become impotent before that elapses.

i say pair him with the probable sac mate- that way you will have plenty of males and wont have to worry. then you can just wait til the males mature and by then the females should be mature themselves

SpiderCafe

you'll probably get another 5-6 months but he might become impotent before that elapses.

i say pair him with the probable sac mate- that way you will have plenty of males and wont have to worry. then you can just wait til the males mature and by then the females should be mature themselves
I see. Ok that’s good to know, thank you so much for this clear answer. I’m planning on giving him enough place to escape.

SpiderCafe

Do you have any tips? I’m planning on cupping the male, placing him in her enclosure away from her. Leave the enclosure slightly opened and place it in butterfly habitat so he can get out. Another option I was considering is: opening both enclosures and have them face each other in butterfly habitat again so they don’t escape.
Not sure when to remove the male but hope I can catch them in action.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you have any tips? I’m planning on cupping the male, placing him in her enclosure away from her. Leave the enclosure slightly opened and place it in butterfly habitat so he can get out. Another option I was considering is: opening both enclosures and have them face each other in butterfly habitat again so they don’t escape.
Not sure when to remove the male but hope I can catch them in action.
I got a 60 gallon tote and I put both enclosures in there, open, then put the lid on the tote and watch them through the lid

It might take a long time for them to find each other and hook up, once they do you can pretty much hover and you won't disturb them. You want to get ready to jump in if the female gets aggressive unless you don't care if she munches your boy

I've paired several terrestrials this way and only lost the mail when I left them unattended for a long enough period of time, like overnight

SpiderCafe

I got a 60 gallon tote and I put both enclosures in there, open, then put the lid on the tote and watch them through the lid

It might take a long time for them to find each other and hook up, once they do you can pretty much hover and you won't disturb them. You want to get ready to jump in if the female gets aggressive unless you don't care if she munches your boy

I've paired several terrestrials this way and only lost the mail when I left them unattended for a long enough period of time, like overnight
Cool, that’s very similar to what I’m thinking, gonna use butterfly habitat and places opened enclosures in there. Definitely want to keep the boy if possible. Thank you so much, gonna pair them up next weekend.

Latest posts