• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed on poecilotheria metalica

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I asked this advice well in advance of purchasing the t and from the information I received I got one, now a month after owning him the thread has boomed into life again to tell me that it's not a good idea, I'm sorry but it's a bit late for that now but thankfully he is settled in, webbing up and eating well , why is splitting a viv such a dangerous thing to do?

From the start of this thread you were told its not a problem as long as you do your research and are ready for it. All the information presented here is readily available on this and other forums by searching. We are happy to help but are not responsible for the resesrch you should be doing yourself. We are all happy to answer questions but the only question I saw was “am I ready?”

Gordon

3 Year Member
I'm more than happy to take criticism if it's constructive and also explains the fix to the matter such as heat mats can cause humidity issues and have been known to cook the t, that I can take on board and understand why a heat mat is a bad idea but when my p.met is cold at 19°C Is there a better way to heat an enclosure? I wouldn't know because it seems everyone is quick to point out what's wrong and criticise without actually trying to help, I still don't understand why a split viv is any different than 2 smaller vivs that same size? All im saying is show me why this is a bad idea and tell me what best to fix it so I can do that, no one here wants a t in bad conditions and neither do I, unfortunately I have now got it and I'm not going to just give up on him I just need to know what to fix

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm more than happy to take criticism if it's constructive and also explains the fix to the matter such as heat mats can cause humidity issues and have been known to cook the t, that I can take on board and understand why a heat mat is a bad idea but when my p.met is cold at 19°C Is there a better way to heat an enclosure? I wouldn't know because it seems everyone is quick to point out what's wrong and criticise without actually trying to help, I still don't understand why a split viv is any different than 2 smaller vivs that same size? All im saying is show me why this is a bad idea and tell me what best to fix it so I can do that, no one here wants a t in bad conditions and neither do I, unfortunately I have now got it and I'm not going to just give up on him I just need to know what to fix

The best way to keep your Ts warm is a room heater.
Your divided vivarium doesn't work for 2 reasons:-
1) A Pokie needs height rather than ground area, it is arboreal after all.
2) A B. hamorii is a ground dweller and must have only 1-1.5 times its leg span above the substrate so if it falls it isn't able to fall far and injure itself, a bad fall can kill a T.
You need to keep them in completely different style containers as one is arboreal and the other terrestrial. My P. met is in an 8"x8"x12" while my ground dwellers are in, or will go into when big enough, acrylic containers 11”x6.5”x4” then into 12"x10"x10"
Have a look at the containers on here http://spidershop.pl/product-category/terrariums/?lang=en, they're cheap, great design and couriered to your door direct from Poland at the weekends.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
@Venom2090 that last post mate seriously? I think thats a bit common sense and obviously i agree with you on that, it's not like I'm trying to keep it in a shoebox or something, as far as I was aware my setup ticks all the boxes on a poecilotheria care sheet so I thought I was doing good and from any pics I posted up until now it's only been compliments so excuse me for being a little defensive when all of a sudden it's not ok , I am new to the hobby and I'm willing and wanting to learn but there is a way of educating someone
Aye, many members on this board seem to prefer avoiding any conflict. Even if it can be constructive.

Divided enclosures rarely work out long term. If you have spare vivs around, set up a safer cage.

Ditch the heat mats. At the very least move it further away from the cage.

And what kind of care sheet are you following?

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Ok as far as I thought I was providing them with an adequately sized enclosure, much larger than the recommended size for an adult t of both species, the enclosure I have sits well within temp range of both species and humidity levels are perfect for both species, if extra ventilation is the only issue i can easily drill some holes in it allthough the original vents are not blocked in any way, yes I do want a display viv that looks cool who doesn't want that but obviously not to the detriment of any animal, both ts to me seem perfectly happy and eating and my b.smithi molted last week, as with any new hobby there is always lots to learn and a lifetime of information to take in, I asked this advice well in advance of purchasing the t and from the information I received I got one, now a month after owning him the thread has boomed into life again to tell me that it's not a good idea, I'm sorry but it's a bit late for that now but thankfully he is settled in, webbing up and eating well , why is splitting a viv such a dangerous thing to do?

First of all, care sheets are typically about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Second of all:

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/split-enclosure-failure.293377/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-texas-brown-killed.164074/

http://arachnoboards.arachnopets.com/threads/hi-all.187274/

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/injured-b-albopilosum.297715/

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Was that on a thermostat ?

No, it wasn't sadly. It was the only time I'd risked it and it was only because my son's girlfriend brought the Green Anoles in unexpectedly and the vivarium was set up in a bit of a rush. It was such a small mat and brand new we thought it would be ok. This is the reason I'm so insistent on all heat sources being on stats.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, it wasn't sadly. It was the only time I'd risked it and it was only because my son's girlfriend brought the Green Anoles in unexpectedly and the vivarium was set up in a bit of a rush. It was such a small mat and brand new we thought it would be ok. This is the reason I'm so insistent on all heat sources being on stats.
Yea some of them fail on and some will fail shut off. For my snakes i use stats. Only thing i dont is my dubias

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yea some of them fail on and some will fail shut off. For my snakes i use stats. Only thing i dont is my dubias

I learnt to use stats when I first bought a snake and always have since and just automatically did the same with Ts although I only have 1 mat running at the moment. It's on the back of a viv that has T containers in it and none in contact with it.

Gordon

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, for now I have removed both heat mats and relocated the vivarium closer to the radiators I will probably have to get an arboreal viv as the ones I have are more terrestrial based and larger, like 2x1x1 ft I have one that is 1x1x1 that the b.smithi used to be in with a deep substrate, if none of them are suitable I know a guy who would take the pokie and if that is what is best that's what I'll do

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, for now I have removed both heat mats and relocated the vivarium closer to the radiators I will probably have to get an arboreal viv as the ones I have are more terrestrial based and larger, like 2x1x1 ft I have one that is 1x1x1 that the b.smithi used to be in with a deep substrate, if none of them are suitable I know a guy who would take the pokie and if that is what is best that's what I'll do

Just remember to keep the water dish full! It might be possible to turn the 2x1x1 on its side to make it a tall enclosure and then make an acrylic door for the front. Might save some money. If you want to buy a new one, the Dalle Craft enclosures (check Amazon) are probably the best bang for your buck. Prepare to spend an hr assembling it though.

Latest posts