• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed on poecilotheria metalica

Gordon

3 Year Member
Hi guys I am new to the hobby of keeping ts and and currently just own 1 brachypelma smithi juvenile and getting on great with her, allready I can see it makes sense to get more ts and not waste as many feeder bugs, I'm really wanting g to keep a poecilotheria metalica and poecilotheria regalia allthough I understand that these aren't meant for the begginer, basically what I am wanting to figure out is can i handle this type of t? I don't mean handle as in pick it up or hold I wouldn't dream of handling a pokie. I feel like if it's safely in a display terrarium and I'm carefull dropping in food for her there is no need to wait for more experience before getting the ts I want, I am new to this so if this just sounds ridiculous please say so and reasons why. If I'm being careful is there any reason a newcomer couldn't own one of these beauties? Thanks for taking the time to read and help a newcomer learn

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My second T was a P.metallica, my first was an OBT, so you could say I started at the wrong end of the scale and I got slated on another forum for being stupid enough to buy them.

My view has always been that as long as you fully understand what they are capable of, treat them with respect and always keep an eye on them when feeding or doing maintenance then you can safely keep a P. met. Mine is in fact one of my calmest Ts although when she was a sling she could be incredibly fast. A good pair of tong is always recommended.

Gordon

3 Year Member
Thanks @Enn49 that's what I was hoping to hear , so far I can only find slings for sale and ones around 4 to 6cm so it'll probably be one of them I go for, how long did it take till she matured? Also at what size did her colours begin to show fully? Thanks

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Gordon She was around 0.75" dls when I got her and the first moult after she came she began to show the blue. She's around 5" now and just over 3 years old.

Gordon

3 Year Member
Wow that's quick I thought it would have been a lot longer I can't wait to order one now, I wish more local shops would have these in stock

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Gordon I buy most of my Ts from Poland now as they're much cheaper and a couple of sites do a courier service (next day delivery)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Enn49 that's what I was hoping to hear , so far I can only find slings for sale and ones around 4 to 6cm so it'll probably be one of them I go for, how long did it take till she matured? Also at what size did her colours begin to show fully? Thanks
Great idea to get a sling. They grow fast and it will give you time to get used to their speed before they get large enough to hurt you with medically significant venom. (Bites are VERY rare. They would prefer to run than bite.)

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Sorry about a very long delay but my life has been chaotic and busy with very little down time but I suggest pokies as long as you're ready to deal with lightning speeds lol.. I've switched over to only pokies after I got over the fear of the speed.. and trust me the regalia doesn't slow down in a small enclosure.. now that my pokies are in a good size enclosure they have calmed down a lot and my regalia is much less likely to run like a mad man and I'm grateful!! Pokies are amazing.

Gordon

3 Year Member
Thanks @Tricocyst I've watched a good amount of videos on how fast they can be and they're quick lol, plenty of catch cups at hand just incase. I'm in the process of setting up his new home and managed to source a male of around 10cm to get delivered next Wednesday, he'll be going into one side of a 30"lx12"w×16"h that I've split with a divider panel in the middle with spider life substrate and some cork bark for climbing on and also some thick branches and plants , I'll post some pics up once it's all set up

Gordon

3 Year Member
Hi everyone thanks for the help so far, my parcel was delayed a day but I've got my P.Metallica this morning and unboxed him without too much drama but damn he is fast lol, he's hiding behind one of the fake plants just now but once he starts exploring I'll get some pics of him

Venom2090

3 Year Member
I consider keepers ready for potent arboreals like Poecilotheria when they have no more basic husbandry questions, and have kept and preferably raised a Psalmopoeus.

Smithi are like rocks next to Poecilotheria, you may as well have no experience at all with tarantulas.

This was a poor decision IME.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I consider keepers ready for potent arboreals like Poecilotheria when they have no more basic husbandry questions, and have kept and preferably raised a Psalmopoeus.

Smithi are like rocks next to Poecilotheria, you may as well have no experience at all with tarantulas.

This was a poor decision IME.

I thought smithi was a Poecilotheria not another genus. Might be wrong.