• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A sling on the way

Meludox

3 Year Member
They are slings. If they are showing adult colors they are a juvenile. Age completely depends on sex, feeding schedule, temps, etc. My B. albop was 1.5" just a molt ago and she is over 2 years old.

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
There is no hard fast rule for what stage is spiderling, or juvenile. Melodux has a good point there. Age is virtually impossible to determine. As a guess, at 1.5" a G pulchra could be between 2 and 4 years.
WOW! I figured about a year! These is just so interesting! Sad, as if this is a boy (I hope not) their life span could be also most done!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WOW! I figured about a year! These is just so interesting! Sad, as if this is a boy (I hope not) their life span could be also most done!
Not at all. I have males that are 7 years old, 2 years as MM.
Heat and food affect growth rate. Warmer temps and more food will speed growth.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
MM as in Mature Male. Most males grow faster by the way even for slow growers. I just sexed my smithi as male and it has been with me like 3 months. It was pretty much a sling at 2 inches when I bought it. Now, it is almost 4 inches DLS according to last molt. :D

eminart

3 Year Member
My G. pulchra was an inch or less when I got it in the spring. It's 2+ inches now and nearing another molt.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G pulchra growth:
1st instar to 1" about 1 year
1" to 3" about 1 year
3" to mature about 3 years
Assuming warm temps, plenty of food, moist sub for first two years, adequately size enclosures.

Based on my experience raising over a dozen G pulchra from spiderlings to maturity. Give me another 15 to 20 years and I will be able to provide longevity data.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I saw all the pulchra pics and had to post one of mine. Here's my 3 inch female, nearing or in premolt. That long Grammastola premolt..even at this size, for 4 months after a molt they have that perfect glossy black color
IMG_20151022_101820.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I saw all the pulchra pics and had to post one of mine. Here's my 3 inch female, nearing or in premolt. That long Grammastola premolt..even at this size, for 4 months after a molt they have that perfect glossy black color
View attachment 13051
-grumbles enviously-
I have a nice ten gallon tank waiting for one like her.
she's a pretty little one, and,
There will be one in my future :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-grumbles enviously-
I have a nice ten gallon tank waiting for one like her.
she's a pretty little one, and,
There will be one in my future :D
I got mine as a sexed female from Nature's Exquisite Creatures in San Antonio. I believe Jerry is probably still breeding and selling them, but his web site is down. Try NEC on Facebook, his prices are reasonable, and he's one I will vouch for. He had some P pulchers too last time..I need to call him..

Latest posts