• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1cm slings

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding time is the best! GBB will eat anything, they don't seem to care about size as some T's do, and their very aggressive eaters.. I've watched my GBB ride a roach around the enclosure. The roach was just big enough that when the GBB raised up on tip-toe the roach could still get traction, after being drug for a bit the GBB just locked it's fangs in and took a ride. Didn't take but maybe 10 minutes for the venom to start working and the roach to collapse. Then it's weakened legs flailing around weren't a match for the GBB.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
It's quickly going to become my favourite day of the week [emoji23]
They are such tough little things, the cricket jumped and I thought oh no it's too big for him but he held him down. It was amazing. Took him around 17hrs to fully eat it. I can't believe how little there is of it. I thought they just sort of sucked the juice out lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's quickly going to become my favourite day of the week [emoji23]
They are such tough little things, the cricket jumped and I thought oh no it's too big for him but he held him down. It was amazing. Took him around 17hrs to fully eat it. I can't believe how little there is of it. I thought they just sort of sucked the juice out lol.

They do. If you sit and watch them eat it's fascinating. The venom helps break down the soft tissue, so they'll eat all that soft tissue that they can. the rest they roll into a ball (bolus). they'll eat a bit, then drop the food, use a bit of web and start rolling it up, then eat a bit more, drop it and web and roll. They do that until all the edible parts are gone and what's left is the unedible parts rolled into a small white ball.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Truly fascinating. The curly hair is eating the dead cricket I gave him now. I love watching them do their stuff. The little bum shuffle

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Could you tell me what that Mark is on his bum? Is it meant to be there?
ee54f02b07a89e8233ee3371bc8131e6.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They'll start avoiding the prey when they're done eating for premolt, either turn and shy away from it or slap it and back off is what both of my GBB's do. Once htey do that wait a few weeks and they'll molt, give them a week after molt for their skin and fangs to harden and they'll start eating again.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I tried feeding him again last night and he slapped it away. How long do you think I should wait to feed him again just in case he isn't in pre molt?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been keeping mine between 80-85 degrees. Slings are more fragile and getting them to grow faster is generally a good thing.

I use voltage controllers for heat mats to avoid overheating. Obviously you need a thermostat of some type as well. The stick on flat ones work.

Start low at first and make sure no one can bump into the switch by accident.

Yes, some view these as unnecessary but I like the fact you can get fine control. Besides, if your home heating fails in the winter, your tarantulas won't be casualties, especially if you have a small generator for essential household functions.

They also are probably needed by breeders to replicate native climates and induce fertility.

Temp controller.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts