• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my Heteropoda venatoria

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I am worried about Victory as he has recently got really skinny (compared to what he was) and I am concerned he is struggling to eat. He has ignored the red runner I put in there, then I have tried a mealworm then lots of beanweevils. Are his pedipalps deformed or is that what mature male huntsmen look like? I had hoped he would be female of course, but am wondering now whether that action he is doing is loading the pedipalps? I've no idea whether they do that in a similar way as tarantulas?

It is hard to see here, but after the last moult the ends of some of his legs also look bent in a weird way. He was named Victory as the first 2 babies I got of this species arrived dead (Victor and Victoria - I buried them in the woods near the stream). The shop sent me another and I decided if he survived he would be called Victory. Hence I am especially attached to him.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Yes thats normal its a mature male. It does look like palp-loading to me.

For these guys a vertical surface is best. A small slab of stone or cork that lets them stretch out their limbs makes them happier and assists with molting. This species has a rather short lifespan too so hell need a girl asap.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Yes thats normal its a mature male. It does look like palp-loading to me.

For these guys a vertical surface is best. A small slab of stone or cork that lets them stretch out their limbs makes them happier and assists with molting. This species has a rather short lifespan too so hell need a girl asap.

Thanks so much! I keep meaning to move him to a bigger enclosure - will get that done today with a much bigger/higher cork bark for him to spread out on. Good to know for if I get more in future, maybe I can help them moult better by providing that sooner.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I always wanted some heteropoda but they are just too crazy for me lol. Especially venetoria.

You'd probably really like davidbowie, they're the more laid-back heteropoda species, they hide in plain sight pretending to be a cluster of stinging caterpillars to deter mammals and birds.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I always wanted some heteropoda but they are just too crazy for me lol. Especially venetoria.

You'd probably really like davidbowie, they're the more laid-back heteropoda species, they hide in plain sight pretending to be a cluster of stinging caterpillars to deter mammals and birds.

Haha, I love their crazyness :p I rehoused him in the bath (plug in, door closed) just in case. However it was very anti-climatic as he was sat inside the old cork bark so I just added it alongside the bigger bark, and no drama ensued!

Thanks, the david bowie is on my wish list! I didn't realise that's what their fluffyness is trying to replicate, caterpillars :D I also have a heterpoda javana called Lorax :)