• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why we use "mechanical moms" and ICU units!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay,so now that we've passed all this. Let's get back to the original thread, could you please post some of your findings with the mechanical mom list the pros of it. Like me, others have a lot of questions and want to learn. So I feel this is perfect,and I thank you for offering up your personal time and expertise on this subject.

entomology

3 Year Member
Thanks Martin
The positive aspect of having a mechanical mom reduces any unwantwd problems that a tarantula on the "wild" will encounter or even in an artificial vivarium were we all house our tarantulas so therefore it's artificial "not natural" increasing the risks even more!! Have u ever wondered why ur Pokie puts the leftover food in the water??? Because instinctively in the wild water would be moving in the monsoon period and not stagnant removing and arising problems. Ok getting back to the subject at hand. When we house these species in an artificial environment we increase the risks of infectious diseases , mites , bacteria, fungi in poor ventilated enclosures especially when "flooding" many pokies eat their sacks when they feel stressed in anyway!! Hence I pull on day 1 and place The egg sack in a controlled environment simulating a favorable comfortable environment where it shal be moved from mechanical mom to icu unit. Movement, noise, light anything can trigger stress and as they are canabalistic by nature the mom will eat the sack. When stressed she becomes unsettled and moves around the sack to protect without realizing her weight alone can rupture an egg and then the entire sack is destroyed. Hence 90% of tarantula keepers pill after 21 days to salvage if any are viable and then they are placed in a tub with humidity and controlled temperatures ( icu) this way survival percentages are increased and mortality rates are decreased. Leaving with mom and allowing numbers to drop is a bi risk because the slings are limited to space, food , numbers!! They eat each other because of hunger it's that simple and the obvious they are canabalistic by nature so it's instinctive. Whenever we house captive specimens we have to think of science because let's face it we all use heaters not so??!! As they are not in their own habitat and wild. Hence we control their seasons to bring the female into her cycle.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks a lot for that
- I agree on the pulling of the sac,especially concerning certain species which tend to stress easily like say the pokies I suspect Avics as well.
- I also agree on that we control our environments of our T's,I personally used an air con which isn't on dehumidify setting.
- I use ICU or incubators as well, since I pull certain sacs.
- looking at them eating their own, that itself is their nature and food plays an even bigger role also the environment and outside stress factors.

I am busy at the moment, but in all seriousness I believe the view on this being a good approach substantiated. Who wants to knowingly cause harm to offspring we ourselves help create, due to putting a male with a female to cause her to become gravid. That in itself isn't nature,but our choice and intervention. The only natural part is the mating,nothing leading up to it or after.

entomology

3 Year Member
Hi Martin
I just finished feeding 2nd instar P metallicas and most if them are eating so just imagine the mortality loss if I had left with mom?!!! Devastating ...

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Martin
I just finished feeding 2nd instar P metallicas and most if them are eating so just imagine the mortality loss if I had left with mom?!!! Devastating ...

Haha, I would have been angry. I would have told you,rather give them to me. I promise you,like the mechanical mom I'm a mechanical carer for my slings just ask my family I spend hours on end with them. Also, I must say one thing not admitting I love your idea I'd be a hypocrite, since I myself intervene a lot.

entomology

3 Year Member
Martin

Due to the fact that the instar's are confined to small spaces like an enclosure they are restricted to the food and hence they feed of each other as a food source. In captivity by separation we eliminate that factor and provide food. No need for me to take pics of instar's feeding as whomever has bred metallica knows they eat other slings between 2nd and 3rd instar :) I dnt cause unnecessary stress on such small T's as their health comes before anything else.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I'm confused now, I also feed my 2nd instars. They take the pinhead crickets no fuss, so what's up with this ? So 2nd instars don't get fed ?
In certain pokie species they only eat at 3rd instar (metallica, formosa, tigrinawesseli. There may be more, can't remember now)

entomology

3 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395055185.044605.jpg

Here we go take a "look see" ;-)

entomology

3 Year Member
In ur case u would not no as u admitted u allow canabalism to take place in ur enclosure!! All 2nd instar eat, well mine do because they are kept under favorable conditions.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
You need to please write this in an article for the BTS. Please include pics of them actually feeding on the roaches. I have had 2nd instars feeding on dead roaches before of the species that only start at 3rd instar but they seem reluctant to take live prey.
By the way, the cannibalism happens inside the sac at EWL and 1st instar stage. At 2nd instar there are very little losses to cannibalism usually.

entomology

3 Year Member
Well with my pokies canabalism starts from 2 nd instar. Now would u know if it's from EWL if you leave yours with mom???!!! One can only know this information if one intervenes so unfortunately u cannot say as u clearly admitted u leave with mom.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I used to leave the sacs till 21 days and then pull it. You often would see EWL with dead eggs in their jaws. While leaving the sacs with the females now I find the 1st instars are much fatter when they emerge from the sac with fewer babies but stronger

entomology

3 Year Member
I have nothing to report to the British Tarantula Society do they help me?? Nope.... Besides it's just another forum and they have their own opinions too

Status
Not open for further replies.