• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why did my T die?

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
The species is new to me. I bought 3 slings a few weeks ago. One molted in transit and then died two days later. The other two have molted and doubled in size. This is why I'm reading your thread here with great interest and hoping to learn the cause of your misfortune. They have become one of my favorites because they are visible all the time, great eaters, and very attractive. Nothing I've read has referred to them being sensitive or less hardy than other common species.

They sound just like my two in behavior. They have been our family favorites! You shouldn't have any problems, I hope they do well for you!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Their's no reason not to try again with that same species. Genics are pretty awesome and the genus had other equally spectular members, quite a few actually.

If a second attempt results in the same thing, is really look at not using the scorpion spray. It's always best for all concerned to not even enter the T room wearing the same clothes or without a shower after using any pesticide.

Paranoid? Yes, but you never know....

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
Their's no reason not to try again with that same species. Genics are pretty awesome and the genus had other equally spectular members, quite a few actually.

If a second attempt results in the same thing, is really look at not using the scorpion spray. It's always best for all concerned to not even enter the T room wearing the same clothes or without a shower after using any pesticide.

Paranoid? Yes, but you never know....

Thanks for your input! If I got another, this would actually be the third attempt with Genics, as I have now had two died unexpectedly. I agree, they are a really neat species!

We live in the Sonoran Desert. Two family members have been stung by scorpions inside the house. It is described as the most painful feeling ever (worse than childbirth according to my wife)! We find about a dozen scorpions inside the house every year, but because of the spraying (house foundation and around doorways - monthly with Suspend SC), they are always very sick acting and there have been no stings since we have been doing this. Because of our situation, the spraying won't stop.

The Ts are in the living room, so it can't be quarantined. I am the only one who does anything with them or the cages, and I don't do any of the work with the spraying. If that is the problem, Genics must be SUPER sensitive. And, none of the other species are. IF that's the case, I'm not going to try again.

I am actually more interested in the native Aphonopelma species and am hoping to collect half a dozen more species in the coming year. No, they are not all sitting out in plain sight all the time, but some of mine are out almost all the time. They are typically great eaters - not fussy at all since they survive by eating what happens along. Being in desert habitats, they are (perhaps) easier to keep in our dry climate. That will probably be my focus going forward.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds like everything was fine with them. Maybe just a crazy coincidence. The only thing that I do different is I don't up the overflowing of the water dish with mine during premolt with this species. I don't think that would cause death unless you have no airflow and the air was stagnant.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
It sounds like everything was fine with them. Maybe just a crazy coincidence. The only thing that I do different is I don't up the overflowing of the water dish with mine during premolt with this species. I don't think that would cause death unless you have no airflow and the air was stagnant.

I am using Jamies adult cages and they have nice series of holes down both sides, so there should be good airflow! I appreciate the input and am glad that I did not do something stupid to kill them. Maybe it was something not stupid, or a coincidence, no way of really knowing. Thanks again!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Third attempt?

Maybe it might be best to try something else. Lasiodora and Pamphobeteus species will have somewhat similar appetites and growth rates.

If you're going to spray the scorpions, maybe wrap the cage up in plastic Saran wrap for 8 to 12 hours afterwards. Wrap it up immediately before spraying.

Since you have native tarantulas in the area, it's always possible that some disease is around that exotics would have no immunity against. If that's the case, native ones would be your best bet.

There are also many interesting Grammostola species like grossa pulchra iheringi even the humble Rose hair etc & they're considered practically bullet proof.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
There are also many interesting Grammostola species like grossa pulchra iheringi even the humble Rose hair etc & they're considered practically bullet proof.

I'm new to the A. geniculata, but are they known to be less hardy or more delicate than a typical Grammostola or Brachypelma? Nothing I've read has hinted at that, but I have no experience with them to drawn from. I've heard T. stirmi and blondi can be finicky about cage conditions, but no one has said anything about A. geniculata being delicate in that way.

I've quoted Whitelighnting here, but anyone else should feel free to chime in too. Looking to learn from any source here.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm new to the A. geniculata, but are they known to be less hardy or more delicate than a typical Grammostola or Brachypelma? Nothing I've read has hinted at that, but I have no experience with them to drawn from. I've heard T. stirmi and blondi can be finicky about cage conditions, but no one has said anything about A. geniculata being delicate in that way.

I've quoted Whitelighnting here, but anyone else should feel free to chime in too. Looking to learn from any source here.
A. geniculata require a bit more moisture than most brachys and grammastolas, but they as re just as hardy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. geniculata require a bit more moisture than most brachys and grammastolas, but they as re just as hardy.
Agreed. I think this was just an unlucky coincidence. Unless you have other unexplained deaths, I'd chalk it up to horrible luck with an easy sp. They really are hardy, but mine seem to cherish moisture. I also know people typically think of them as a dry sp. They aren't.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed. I think this was just an unlucky coincidence. Unless you have other unexplained deaths, I'd chalk it up to horrible luck with an easy sp. They really are hardy, but mine seem to cherish moisture. I also know people typically think of them as a dry sp. They aren't.
Although they are tolerant of the enclosure does dry out a bit.

Latest posts