• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who will use this??

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have any experience with peat but after using eco earth for over a month now I have to say I love how well it keeps humidity.. now for desert t's it might be bad? I've heard eco earth gets gets dusty but mine is still fine.. I mist it once a week and it's the best substrate I've ever owned!
I used eco earth for a few years. I like the jungle mix because the wood debris in it seems to leave gaps and water spreads out more evenly. I've never once found mold in it either, which is a plus as I do have quite a few moisture lovers now. I'm sold on false bottoms for those now, though. Its just the best way, and safest as far as pests go.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have any experience with peat but after using eco earth for over a month now I have to say I love how well it keeps humidity.. now for desert t's it might be bad? I've heard eco earth gets gets dusty but mine is still fine.. I mist it once a week and it's the best substrate I've ever owned!
there's a little dust but not much, mist it once to get the dust to settle and it's fine. that's what i did for my 2 rosea's

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What's a false bottom? I have most of mine on coir mixed with vermiculite, some have Orchid bark mixed too but I've had to use springtails as there was a mould issue and I believe it was the bark so that's getting the heave if I feel I need to rehouse which I never like doing because we all know it stresses them... I have my P.Vespertinus on spider life which has peat in it I'm sure and tbh I hate it, doesn't hold moisture long at all... Coir and vermiculite is my favourite combo by far... Some people swear by vermiculite only but it doesn't seem right to me...
Its basically an inch or two of gravel in the bottom of the enclosure. You run a piece of pvc straight into the gravel and then fill in with substrate. When you need humidity you add water down the pipe, it spreads along the bottom evenly so theres a moist lower area that the hide/tunnel leads to. That way you're not making a large moist area of substrate on the surface for them, which is what makes mold, and attracts pests.