• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Tarantula? Mexican Red Knee vs Cobalt Blue

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's funny you think people need to prove themselves by listening to you're ott comments to be eligible to get an old world first. In fact, I find it hilarious. This is how elitist assholes are made. Everyone paying attention? Time to make the chimichangas: You've been collecting since 2014 huh? That means nothing. @Arachnoclown has been keeping, what was it, 28 years? I have a measly 10 or so years. Enn, I don't remember, but probably longer than me. Not sure about @Shampain either. None of it means ****. These are simple invertebrates, not wild wolves. Any human being reading this over the age of 15 or so can handle keeping any tarantula in this hobby. So you know some folks that were scared of spiders and couldnt control their emotions after buying an old world spider? I bet the little *****es on that other forum enjoyed that a bunch. They love to condescend to new keepers, and a chance to say "I told you so" probably makes them wear their white pants. You call people who don't listen to you thickheaded. Why? Because they don't listen to your AB mantra horse****? Or think like you? Fear like you? Do you think your way is the only way, elitist jr? Take that **** back to AB, where you learned it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MassExodus I too have only been keeping since 2014 like @PanzoN88 which is why I only ever speak about my own experiences with Ts. I had many years experience of keeping snakes before that which I felt gave me the confidence to buy an OBT as my 1st T. I have learnt a lot from the more experienced keepers on here and continue to learn both from them and my own experiences. I love this forum for its friendliness and helpfulness and hope it continues in this way.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do too Enn, that's why I speak up. This won't be another AB. One way or the other. When I said experience doesn't matter, I meant it. The tools are there to learn whatever you need to learn in this hobby, and handle any situation that arises. Thats all. I'll shut up now.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MassExodus 36 years...;) My first two Ts were a Theraphosa blondi and a Brachypelma smithi/annethia. The infamous T. Blondi that's so hard to care for (according to the other forum)...bs. I was a 10 year old kid that cared for that T for 19 years till she passed away. There was no info on them back then and I was one of only a couple that had one in the states. Those ass hats try to tell me how to raise my Ts...thats why I dont post on that sight. Theres always someone that thinks their an "arachnogod" for real when I've probably had Ts older then them. I only chat with a few of my friends. Thing is with research anyone can care for just about anything. The only concern that I would emphasize to a new person thinking they are ready is "dont get bit"....its no joke. Also I would suggest starting with a sling so at least you can grow with them and their speed.
P.S. Welcome to the forum!!!:T:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just as an addendum to this thread, @Shampain I may use this as a humorous prop in posts, but the truth is I thought about it numerous times, because I wanted to KNOW. You had balls doing that, props man. And after seeing your video, well, I don't wanna. :D Lmfao seriously it put a stop to any amatuer research on venom that I had in mind. You are indeed a legend. You don't post here enough anymore. Come back, you ain't AB material. Thankfully..

schmoopsy

Hello Alyssa I am able to shed light since I have both. :)
I started with a red knee myself and she is a great starting T. My Cobalt is a pet hole. She comes out sometimes to eat and drink but shes in her burrow most of the time. If you get the right mixture of substrate and clay you can watch them build their burrows. The color is amazing.
As for the red knee. She was my first and im so glad we started with her. The color is awesome, very calm, ive never seen her strike a posture and my hand is in her terrarium a fews times a week. She is very handable and comes to us.

Another great T is the Gram. Rosea and the zebra knee.

If you want pictures of our Ts and setups let me know.

Steve

bbbs53

3 Year Member
I got my first spider in 1990, at the time red knee's were fairly common. They are an easy first spider and not tunnel rats. Individuals are just that, some flick their rear bristles and some don't. The one I keep now, B. Boehmei or the fire leg has the reputation of being a flicker of bristles and they are an irritant in this species, this one doesn't seem to be easily rattled and has never done it even when being rehoused. You are wise to not be wanting to handle them, this kills more of them I suspect than anything. The cobalt is a beautiful thing and worthy of being in your collection, they are fast but totally doable. There are several good books on keeping these magnificent creatures and the Shultz's is one of them. It is probably a bit better to get used to the routine with a single and then add as time goes by. However it will not tax someone used to keeping exotic pets as you seem to be to double up, just requires double the effort. Good luck going forward and enjoy your new venture, I don't think you will regret either way you go.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just to reinforce that, here's an educational video on old world bites. A young man makes a brave and selfless sacrifice on our behalf, and scientifically high fives an obt. Hit it Dolly!

Ehehe.

That video has vanished, will download it ASAP.

Just successfully downloaded it to my phone.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not a fan of the ladder system either. Still, even my humble B sabulosum slings of 1.25" in size (another brachy species) are more visible then any burrowing species, especially an OW.

B vagens is also a great, and affordable, choice. This is the fastest growing brachy, red and black in color for both sexes.

Generally all brachys are the same colors for both sexes. The males are smaller and don't live as long. Still, with brachys, both sexes will live for a few years, males 2 to 4 years females 10+ years with 20 not being unusual.

That's my biggest beef with burrowing species, especially OWs. You'll never see it. If you construct a terrestrial enclosure where they can't burrow, they are aggressive. Open the cage = home invasion.

Definitely go with B smithi if that's your 2 options.

There are many great vendors in the for sale section of our forum. You've come to the right place!!

If you have access to other species or options & insist on getting a blue OW species, there's only 1 way to go -- M balfouri. Heck, they even can be raised as communal species, multiple specimens in1 cage!! Males turn a brilliant blue. Females are cream and blue colored. Both are spectacular and pictures can't do justice to them.

The other option is H pulchripes. These guys are gold with electric blue legs, one of the best looking in the hobby. Mine matured as a male sadly enough, but I'll get 3 slings back if the pairing succeeds.

Both of these species make a great first OW tarantula. They are super quick so be careful with unpacking and rehousing. I'd definitely start with slings about 1 to 1.5 inches.

They might cost more then a Cobalt blue, but are worth every penny. H pulchripes is NOT communal. Neither is B smithi. One per cage only!!

I did lose my M balfouri to fecal impaction but that isn't really a common problem with that species, just really bad luck. I don't post pics of her anymore, but here's both of them.

Neither of these OWs are a mean or aggressive tarantula. They are nervous but will always run down the burrow. After you unpack them, make sure the water dish is full and then don't open it again for at least 4 to 5 days so they can settle in and burrow. This will virtually eliminate the risk of escape. Tap on the cage twice before opening it to feed them. This will give them the chance to seek shelter & not escape. If they just start running around and not into the burrow, try again later.

M balfouri 1-21-18 4.jpg
M balfouri Maxine out 1.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris rehouse 4.jpg
H pulchripes what sex 1.jpg

H pulchripes Hybris cage care 1.jpg

H pulchripes hooked out 5.jpg

The last one believe it or not is the same as the blue and gold, just matured out as a male. The males and females are the same color until the male matures. This makes them desirable. No matter what, it'll be drop dead gorgeous.

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the addiction. You can't ever have just one.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The first rant massexodus made about this forum being a safe place . Free from pretentiousness .
Sorry, I missed this. Everything I said was true. I'm not trying to start a crusade, but people new to the hobby deserve a straight answer to their questions. I fully support doing your research on ANYTHING before attempting to keep it in captivity. That's why I try to : "HELLO IN THE BACK, IS EVERYONE PAYING ATTENTION?" ANSWER POINTED QUESTIONS FROM NEW PEOPLE, WHO ARE DOING RESEARCH. EVEN IF THE FKING QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED A THOUSAND TIMES. I understand frustration, I get very frustrated with some new people. It matters not at all. Check yourself on this forum. Or someone else will. I've been checked myself :D

Solsurfer

No worries . Yeah that's all cool . When I used to be on other forums hits would just pile on and never stop pretty brutal. Btw get the lividum ! I started with an h mac. it really doesn't matter if you're competent and careful with transfers. I put my c lividum in a tall skinny ( not too skinny)cylinder and watched it burrow straight to the bottom and make an atrium. That's one way set it up so you can see it more. Besides when a burrower is hungry it will be out

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
If you’re goig to get only one I say go with the Brachy. Otherwise get both. I wouldn’t just get the H lividum just because you won’t see it much and you’ll end up getting bored with it and ordering another tarantula anyways. :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They'll both be interesting, but you will definitely see the brachy more often. Generally, it's considered best not to recommend OWs, but obviously not everyone gets into the hobby the same way.

In America especially, the "typical" (assuming that there is such a thing) is to start with NWs first.

In Australia, no imports are allowed & only native species can be kept. Those are fast OWs with venom powerful enough to kill dogs, but do far no human fatalities have occurred. Most of these hobbyists do just fine. Therefore, it can be done. Since i have a cat, I've basically ruled those out. Nyx is extremely clever. While she's never bothered any of my cages, I'm unwilling to bet her life on that.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As a new keeper (beginner, <1 year) I'd honestly say I think the divide is massively exaggerated. (I will add that I only have 2 ow and they are slings so don't really count ) but that's irrelevant.

All I seemed to hear when trying to get information about the hobby (before I had any at all) was new worlds are nice and sweet. Old worlds are evil . If you manage to get past this you start to find that people have old worlds they would handle and are very docile. And new worlds that they wouldn't put their hands near.

The generalisation is very misleading. I find it's closer to if your sensible enough and do your research then their is no reason you can't get a hamorii or an obt.

At the end of the day your not sleeping with the t on your pillow so if you are respectful enough to avoid the possibility of a bite then it's irrelevant what it is that's trying to bite you

Latest posts