• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Tarantula? Mexican Red Knee vs Cobalt Blue

Alyssa Martin

Hello,

I apologize if this wasn't the correct spot for this thread, I'm new to the forum.

So my question is, as someone who doesn't own any tarantulas yet, which of these species should I get?

I'm aware that these species range from beginner to more experienced, but I am home all day and do excessive research on the animal I get so I'm not to concerned about that. I have also watched videos on the following species so I am aware some are very aggressive while others are docile.

The species I'm interested in.

Cobalt Blue

Mexican Red Knee

How does the aggressiveness in the Cobalt Blue compare to that of a Mexican Red Knee (docile.) I'm not really interested in handling due to the fragile nature, so where would I have issues with the aggressiveness?

Are the care needs for a Cobalt Blue hard compared to that of a Mexican Red Knee?

And one more question. What could I expect from getting a cobalt blue as a sling vs adult?

I'm really tempted to get both a Cobalt Blue and a Mexican Red Knee sling at the same time. However I want advice on the Cobalt Blue.

Thanks,
Alyssa

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cyriopagapus lividus is very fast for a fossorial sp. Their temperament varies, but it wont be a problem 90% of the time, because if kept correctly in deep moist substrate, you wont see it much. I had one for six years, a wild caught adult. Beautiful blue female. She died of old age, and I had seen her, at most, ten times. Get both ;)

Alyssa Martin

Cyriopagapus lividus is very fast for a fossorial sp. Their temperament varies, but it wont be a problem 90% of the time, because if kept correctly in deep moist substrate, you wont see it much. I had one for six years, a wild caught adult. Beautiful blue female. She died of old age, and I had seen her, at most, ten times. Get both ;)

Thanks so much for the fast reply!

I think I will just get both then. Enclosure and substrate won't be an issue so it seems I may just have to go get one (after a bit more research) :)

Thanks again,

Alyssa

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some of my calmest Ts are OW including my Poecilotheria metallica, Phlogiellus sp. Baeri and Heterothele villosella whereas the most skittish T I have, a nightmare to rehouse, is one of my NW Nhandu chromatus.
I know the ladder system is a good guide but it isn't gospel. I began in the hobby in 2014 too and my 1st T was a juvenile OBT who never gave me any problems, never showed a threat pose. All I'd say is always be aware of where they are when dealing with any T, take all precautions that you can, keep your wits about you and always move slowly so you don't startle them.
As to which to get, a Brachy is always a good bet for a beginner as they are colourful and almost always on view as they get older on the other hand, although I've never kept a Cyriopagapus lividus, I believe they are pet holes that you will rarely see.

Alyssa Martin

So being new to the hobby you are wanting to get an OW. Watching videos only helps to a point, once you are doing it yourself only then can you truly learn.

When I explain things like this on the other forum to prospective hobbyists, I usually make the following comparison:

A new hobbyist starting out with an OW is like giving a 3 year old the keys to your car and telling them to have fun.

C. lividum is one of those that I would say is the tarantula equivalent to a mustang. There may be several here that can't stand the ladder system, but it works and it's quite beneficial for new keepers, not to mention you gain valuable experience without the stress. When someone tells you something is fast on a YouTube video, they are stating facts, but once you see it for yourself you'll be stunned by how fast they really are.

I started in this hobby in 2014 and I didn't get my first OW until this time last year. If you really want experience with something fast, yet always visible and easy to keep on top of being great for beginners, a GBB would fit that description nicely.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm actually interested in the burrowing behavior of the Cobalt Blue more so then the stunning colors (that's a huge bonus though and was the initial drawing point.) I've been watching Exotics Lair (YouTube) and he seems to comment on the aggressive nature on the Cobalt Blue more then the others.

You don't think that with caution and by using the correct habitat, that it would be something I could do? I'm not against waiting for a Cobalt Blue, I hope I don't come off like that.

The other threads (and this one) people seem to state that with the right amount of burrowing space you won't see the Cobalt Blue so the aggressive and fast nature of them isn't a huge concern. Outside of rehousing and care of course.

Any opinions on that with your new Cobalt Blue?

Alyssa

Alyssa Martin

Some of my calmest Ts are OW including my Poecilotheria metallica, Phlogiellus sp. Baeri and Heterothele villosella whereas the most skittish T I have, a nightmare to rehouse, is one of my NW Nhandu chromatus.
I know the ladder system is a good guide but it isn't gospel. I began in the hobby in 2014 too and my 1st T was a juvenile OBT who never gave me any problems, never showed a threat pose. All I'd say is always be aware of where they are when dealing with any T, take all precautions that you can, keep your wits about you and always move slowly so you don't startle them.
As to which to get, a Brachy is always a good bet for a beginner as they are colourful and almost always on view as they get older on the other hand, although I've never kept a Cyriopagapus lividus, I believe they are pet holes that you will rarely see.

I'm a bit conflicted now, but still am leaning towards getting both.

I assure you that as someone who would just be going into the hobby that all caution would be taken, no matter how docile or aggressive. I'm used to animals that have specific care and attitudes so I think with a bit of a learning curve it would work.

I have for example one leopard frog who has extreme anxiety and even a crickets running past it spooks it, so I use a very large amount of caution when dealing with this guy because he is able to be spooked easily and escape. I'm aware that frogs are vastly different then that of a OW. Just wanted to point out that I have some experience dealing with animals who are easily stressed.

Side note - For those curious why I have a leopard frog when they are not to be kept as pets, it is illegal to release captive bred L.F.'s in the wild here. He was bought as a tadpole to frog kit by my mother's friend and they didn't want to keep 11 leopard frogs.

I'm perfectly fine with a "pet hole" not something I'm to concerned about. I'm not looking for a display animal. However the Mexican Red Knee would likely be put somewhere for those to see in my room.

I think I'm still pretty set on getting both (as slings or possibly juveniles) as I haven't heard anything that would deter me just yet. I'm aware that as someone new that a Cobalt Blue is going to a challenge to care for, but I'm up for it.

Thanks!

Alyssa

Thank you all for your replies, I am still up for point on whether or not to get both or just one, however at the moment I'm still interested in both :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I'm a bit conflicted now, but still am leaning towards getting both.

I assure you that as someone who would just be going into the hobby that all caution would be taken, no matter how docile or aggressive. I'm used to animals that have specific care and attitudes so I think with a bit of a learning curve it would work.

I have for example one leopard frog who has extreme anxiety and even a crickets running past it spooks it, so I use a very large amount of caution when dealing with this guy because he is able to be spooked easily and escape. I'm aware that frogs are vastly different then that of a OW. Just wanted to point out that I have some experience dealing with animals who are easily stressed.

Side note - For those curious why I have a leopard frog when they are not to be kept as pets, it is illegal to release captive bred L.F.'s in the wild here. He was bought as a tadpole to frog kit by my mother's friend and they didn't want to keep 11 leopard frogs.

I'm perfectly fine with a "pet hole" not something I'm to concerned about. I'm not looking for a display animal. However the Mexican Red Knee would likely be put somewhere for those to see in my room.

I think I'm still pretty set on getting both (as slings or possibly juveniles) as I haven't heard anything that would deter me just yet. I'm aware that as someone new that a Cobalt Blue is going to a challenge to care for, but I'm up for it.

Thanks!

Alyssa

Thank you all for your replies, I am still up for point on whether or not to get both or just one, however at the moment I'm still interested in both :)

You sound very sensible so I'll say go for it and get both.
If you can get a grown on sling it would give you the chance to watch them grow without the worry of a tiny sling that could disappear for months and have you worrying.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I bought a few C. lividum slings a little while ago. Sure they move fast when you transfer them into their new enclosures, but do it carefully and do it in a large tub with catch cups handy, and its no big deal. Any normal person should be able to do it. Here is a thread I made about them: https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/c-lividum-making-mountains.22174/

As far as which one to get, opinions will vary. Here is mine: They don't do much for me. The pictures of them on the internet sure are pretty, but you'll never see them, and not all of them color up like that. Twice a week I would refill their water, drop a roach down the hole, and I never saw them once. I ended up selling them.

I've raised a few B. smithii, at least that is what they were called when I was doing it, and they are great spiders. They were always out and visible, great eaters, and positively gorgeous. My only complaint is that they tended to flick hairs more than some of my others and were easily provoked to do it.

My advice might be a little extreme, but I say get one or two of all of them that interest you. This thread is a great demonstration of how opinions can vary, and the only way to really know what appeals to you is to try them out and see.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Reading through there isn't much to say. I'm also new to the hobby (around 6 months now)
Just glad you joined a forum and not a Facebook page. For now you mention 2 species. It won't be long till your looking at more :)

Alyssa Martin

I bought a few C. lividum slings a little while ago. Sure they move fast when you transfer them into their new enclosures, but do it carefully and do it in a large tub with catch cups handy, and its no big deal. Any normal person should be able to do it. Here is a thread I made about them: https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/c-lividum-making-mountains.22174/

As far as which one to get, opinions will vary. Here is mine: They don't do much for me. The pictures of them on the internet sure are pretty, but you'll never see them, and not all of them color up like that. Twice a week I would refill their water, drop a roach down the hole, and I never saw them once. I ended up selling them.

I've raised a few B. smithii, at least that is what they were called when I was doing it, and they are great spiders. They were always out and visible, great eaters, and positively gorgeous. My only complaint is that they tended to flick hairs more than some of my others and were easily provoked to do it.

My advice might be a little extreme, but I say get one or two of all of them that interest you. This thread is a great demonstration of how opinions can vary, and the only way to really know what appeals to you is to try them out and see.

Hello,

I would definitely have a catch cup ready and on hand at any time. I will for sure be checking out that thread of yours :)

I see, they very much are pet holes then. I personally wouldn't mind a pet hole even if I never saw them.

I apologize as I never know what the correct scientific name for Mexican Red Knee's are, but they seem like wonderful "out there" pets. The hair flicking might be a tad annoying but not anything that would deter me.

It seems that most say that getting both would be good so I may just go do that. I love all the points everyone's brought up, and respect them all. I've got a good deal of thinking to do and I have some time before I have a seller and cage picked out.

Thanks so much!
Alyssa

Alyssa Martin

Reading through there isn't much to say. I'm also new to the hobby (around 6 months now)
Just glad you joined a forum and not a Facebook page. For now you mention 2 species. It won't be long till your looking at more :)

I've always found forums much more helpful then Facebook groups, seems like more experienced people are here vs facebook.

Seems like everyone says I'll get more at some point haha, I already have some more species I really like but am limiting myself to 2 at current :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Alyssa

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Telling a grown up that getting an old world first is equivelant to giving a three year old keys to a car is rather insulting, and just plain silly. It belongs on the other forum, where discouraging remarks like that are often repeated, not here. Here we like to encourage people. These aren't sharks. They're not Grizzly bears. They can't do you serious harm, only cause you serious pain..and if that happens, it's the keepers fault. They're simple animals, it REALLY isn't hard to avoid mishaps, if you do your research, use your head, and remain calm. There are hands off, safe methods of doing whatever needs to be done with tarantulas. Please don't come here with AB sheeple comments. They won't be well received, and they'll be shot down every time. Thanks.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always found forums much more helpful then Facebook groups, seems like more experienced people are here vs facebook.

Seems like everyone says I'll get more at some point haha, I already have some more species I really like but am limiting myself to 2 at current :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Alyssa
Facebook groups are ok every now and again. But i only come here or certain YouTube channels for advice /info. Your limit could change I still see a lot of Ts and I'm looking at their beauty and wondering if I should or not even though I'm aware I shouldn't right now

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
6-year-old-autistic-boy-drives-toy-car-atv-bronx-river-parkway-nyc-3.gif