• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Ts can harm my cat?

Clickclickclickboom!

3 Year Member
Weird question I know, but the rule in my house that my SO can't own anything that if for some reason got out, would kill or serious maime my cats or dogs.

So quick list of species that would be -seriously- (more then just painful) harmful to cats/dogs would be great.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 4 cats and a dog so all my Ts are kept in ExoTerra vivs even the slings containers are in vivs so that the cats can't get to them. I do all maintenance inside the viv and shut all cats out of the room while I'm doing it that way I have a second line of defence in case of an escapee and so far it has worked well even with my OBT.

In other words do all you can to avoid an escape and keep what you want.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have 2 cats in the house. And if I feed my T's I always drop the crickets infront of the hide or drop the crickets in the web so I know they get eaten . Just so they are not running round the enclosure. Cause I know the cats will get excited at anything that moves quick . I think a cat would give a T a swipe with its claws and game over for the T.
I wouldn't want any harm coming to either..

Sym

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
The only account of a cat getting bit by an OW I have seen (not sure if I'd be able to find it) an OBT bit a cat, it was sick for a week and recovered. When its T vs. Cat, cat usually wins.

I think NW urticating bristles would be just as big a threat if not bigger threat to other pets than venom.

swimbait

3 Year Member
OWs tend to be very fast moving and their venom packs a punch too. If one were to escape I'd worry about one of them finding it and being bitten. Also my wife would kill me.

Okay, I didn't know if OW venom had been proven fatal against dogs and cats or something like that. I would imagine if a small dog got bit by an OBT there could be some problems

Poec54

3 Year Member
The only account of a cat getting bit by an OW I have seen (not sure if I'd be able to find it) an OBT bit a cat, it was sick for a week and recovered. When its T vs. Cat, cat usually wins.

I think NW urticating bristles would be just as big a threat if not bigger threat to other pets than venom.

A cornered spider isn't going to down without a fight against a dog or cat. An adult giving a full dose of venom is nothing to be taken lightly. All it needs to do is to bite an inquisitive paw or nose. If that happens, don't count on the family pet surviving. OW venom is a far bigger threat to a cat or dog than urticating hairs. They're not going to die from hairs.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Okay, I didn't know if OW venom had been proven fatal against dogs and cats or something like that. I would imagine if a small dog got bit by an OBT there could be some problems

There's been 7 documented reports (at the time I read this) of Australian tarantulas biting dogs; all of the dogs died, including large ones. Another reason not to get species beyond your skill/experience level.

swimbait

3 Year Member
There's been 7 documented reports (at the time I read this) of Australian tarantulas biting dogs; all of the dogs died, including large ones. Another reason not to get species beyond your skill/experience level.

Do you have a link to these documents?

swimbait

3 Year Member
It's true. Look at some Australian tarantula sites. One of the dogs that died was a German Shepherd. If you have cats and dogs, you need to go the extra step and make sure your spiders don't get loose.

I am not saying its not true, it wouldn't surprise me. I was just curious if you had documents handy I always enjoy reading things about tarantulas. I sill do some research tomorrow on for these Australian tarantula sites

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am not saying its not true, it wouldn't surprise me. I was just curious if you had documents handy I always enjoy reading things about tarantulas. I sill do some research tomorrow on for these Australian tarantula sites
The problem with bite reports are as follows
- not all are on the exact same place
- the specimens size
- the fang length which ties into the previous one
- Was it just a dry bite
- was there clothing where the bite had to penetrate

These factors determine the severity,since that why some experience less symptoms and assume the bite is less potent than stated or think they are less affected. If the specimen is large or small,venom potency is the same. The difference comes in how deep did he penetrate and where. I have seen where people have stated its not so bad,the reason is it didn't hit the target 100% or go through the needed skin layers or had clothing blocking it somewhat.

Heteroscodra Stromatopelma lampropelma Haplopelma Poecilotheria Chilobrachys and others,will if the situation plays out right no matter the size of specimen put you in a world of pain. True reports have stated like Haplopelma Hainanum which has and is documented as the most potent venom due to the highest peptide count,just a scratch not a bite caused very uncomfortable symptoms.

As for animals,the research done so far and reports I have read dogs I know they aren't human but many of us have those large breed ones have died in minutes. These reports were not even of the more potent specimens,but from Poecilotheria,I wouldn't want to see a child tagged by these just imagine that small body having to fend off the venom. No tarantula anti venom exists,it is treated symptomatically.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I wasnt trying to down play OW venom before Rick, the story about the OBT and the cat was the only report I had seen prior. I hadnt heard about the aussies witht he dogs.

Idk I imagine a smal catt or dog inhaling a cloud of hairs could cause some serious respiratory issues that could lead to anaphylaxis.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wasnt trying to down play OW venom before Rick, the story about the OBT and the cat was the only report I had seen prior. I hadnt heard about the aussies witht he dogs.

Idk I imagine a smal catt or dog inhaling a cloud of hairs could cause some serious respiratory issues that could lead to anaphylaxis.
Hello
I have to apologize if you are thinking it is a reply to your post,it wasn't it is just my general view.

Latest posts