• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is she doing?

AvicMom

3 Year Member
I've had my Avic since Christmas. She's finally starting to web a little, but she hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if she just wants smaller crickets, or if she's in pre-molt. She's roughly 3" DLS, and I don't really know if she's female...I'm just hoping with crossed fingers.

At any rate, she sometimes clings to the side of her enclose and leans over, with her legs sticking out in the air. In this pic, she has three of her legs away from the glass, and she's sort of leaning on the vine. She remained that way for about 30 seconds, then righted herself. Do you think she's stretching?
Rosalita stretch.JPG

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had my Avic since Christmas. She's finally starting to web a little, but she hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if she just wants smaller crickets, or if she's in pre-molt. She's roughly 3" DLS, and I don't really know if she's female...I'm just hoping with crossed fingers.

At any rate, she sometimes clings to the side of her enclose and leans over, with her legs sticking out in the air. In this pic, she has three of her legs away from the glass, and she's sort of leaning on the vine. She remained that way for about 30 seconds, then righted herself. Do you think she's stretching?
View attachment 8432
Hello
Avics and other arboreal specimens do this,even terrestrial specimens. I always say they stretch,since different genera and types of genera exhibit this.

AvicMom

3 Year Member
For sale: Size Sub-adult Avic avic outfit...like new condition...worn only once...my sweet Rosie outgrew it and got herself a new one :p
Out with the old.JPG

AvicMom

3 Year Member
Now I know what all the silliness was about. I was worried because she actually fell off the side of her enclosure yesterday evening, and I was very worried about her. I guess she fell over trying to molt. She apparently molted right on the side of the enclosure today. I did a little redecorating yesterday right after she fell and gave her some more horizontal leafy surfaces to rest on since I noticed she was webbing on top of the plants instead of making a tube web. I guess she was trying to spin a molting mat and just couldn't find a suitable place until I rearranged things.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on the successful molt! How does she look today?

AvicMom

3 Year Member
Josh, she looked good this morning, but I haven't seen her since. I left her light off today because she tends to bask under it and I didn't want to dry out or irritate her new skin.

Poec54, yes, it occurred to me after she molted that she was probably spinning a molting mat. I just didn't expect her to spin it in the tree. Makes sense I guess.

Latest posts