• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a fast-growing new world tarantula with an even temperament?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
In comparison to brachypelma Tliltocatl are faster growing. If your smithi is male and albo female then similar growth rate would make sense.
the missus has eczema and has never had a problem with hairs. Not saying you won’t either as I don’t know if you’ve experienced irritation or not but if that’s what’s bothering you then I wouldn’t worry too much

That's good to know about the eczema. I just got worried because we have cats as well, and when they accidentally scratch me, 9/10 times it turns into eczema on me.

I'm really hoping that my smithi isn't male though. It is my favorite tarantula and I want it to live a loooong time.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My LP would flick hair if you even looked at her. maybe she is flicking right now because I am talking about her. The woman had issues, lol. :)

Your LP, sounds like my daughters hamorii.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
That's good to know about the eczema. I just got worried because we have cats as well, and when they accidentally scratch me, 9/10 times it turns into eczema on me.

I'm really hoping that my smithi isn't male though. It is my favorite tarantula and I want it to live a loooong time.

I had been considering a Lasiodora parahybana as I wanted one that grows very big, but I decided against it in the end when I read about their hairs being particularly bad. On youtube I did see a few people where the itching had lasted a week. However some did say that when doing a housing change with an LP they wear gloves, eye protection and a face mask. I may get one one day and just do that, but I have a history of severe rashes in response to all sorts. My recent painful heat rash put me right off an LP for now :p

Fingers crossed for your smithi being female!

Nunua

3 Year Member
Everything I have seen says they have anything but an even temperament.
Nah. Genics are just greedy pigs. That voracious feeding response is too often described as them being angry, bolty etc. My girl is chill and mellow, just wants to stuff everything in her face. :p
Also, every single T is an individual. You can have the most mellow P. murinus (OBT), and defensive hair flicking Brachypelma.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Nah. Genics are just greedy pigs. That voracious feeding response is too often described as them being angry, bolty etc. My girl is chill and mellow, just wants to stuff everything in her face. :p
Also, every single T is an individual. You can have the most mellow P. murinus (OBT), and defensive hair flicking Brachypelma.

I'm probably going to go with an LP. I'll see though. Daytona is this weekend and I will see what's around.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
My LP doesn’t kick hairs. He jus runs to his hide. He’s a large juvie. Now, proly be a different story if I was trying to rehouse him. He might would kick hair then. I think LP is a great choice. Just be cautious with their hairs. Let us know what you end up getting.

Latest posts