• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a fast-growing new world tarantula with an even temperament?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Been a while since I last posted. My b. smithi and t. albo slings are doing well. No issues with them. I am however looking for another tarantula. I knew these were slow growers, but the wait for them is, well, at a glacial speed.

So I am looking for another one, a new world species, fast-growing with an even temperament. What would be good species that fit within that criteria?

timc

3 Year Member
Lasiodora grow pretty quickly and don’t have too bad of a temperament. They’re mostly known for being hair flickers. Plus they get huge, which is great. The classic GBB grows pretty quickly but is generally more on the skittish side.

spookworm

I will agree with what others have said and suggest L Parahybana. Mine seems to be the fastest growing in my collection. It kicks hairs occasionally, but overall it has a good temperament and voracious appetites.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
I will agree with what others have said and suggest L Parahybana. Mine seems to be the fastest growing in my collection. It kicks hairs occasionally, but overall it has a good temperament and voracious appetites.

How bad are the hairs? I know some can have pretty bad ones with people having bad reactions to them that normally wouldn't have a reaction.

timc

3 Year Member
I’ve never kept M. robustum, but from what I understand their temper isn’t as bad as Acanthoscurria or Nhandu. They grow faster than a Brachypelma or their cousins.

spookworm

How bad are the hairs? I know some can have pretty bad ones with people having bad reactions to them that normally wouldn't have a reaction.
Not too bad, in my opinion. The worst I’ve ever had from an L Parahybana was an itchy hand for like an hour. But some people react differently, of course. If it’s too much you can always wear a glove during maintenance. But yeah, overall a good species to keep that’s worth the occasional bouts of attitude :)

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Not too bad, in my opinion. The worst I’ve ever had from an L Parahybana was an itchy hand for like an hour. But some people react differently, of course. If it’s too much you can always wear a glove during maintenance. But yeah, overall a good species to keep that’s worth the occasional bouts of attitude :)

Thanks much!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tliltocatl sabulosum are pretty fast growing. EWL to adult in 3 years....pretty docile too.
20180310_090434.jpg

jrh3

3 Year Member
Neoholothele Incei are fast growing, no urticating hair, they are fast and skittish though, and a dwarf species but ky vote goes to Acanthoscurria Geniculata

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see a lot of people suggesting A genics but in my honest opinion our Genic is one of the most ill tempered T that we have, and we keep 172 different species...... Tliltocatl are fast growning brachypelmas basically and a lot less likely to kick hairs. Sabulosus are nice looking but in Europe not the easiest species to find. Not sure about in the states. N Incei and Incei Gold are nice species to keep. Grammostola are also interesting (except Rosea) and none of the ones we keep kick hairs. But they are slow growing.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I am not sure I would describe the LP's hairs as not too bad. But for most of us, they are no worse than an irritation that can quickly & easily be dealt with via an antihistamine (hay fever) tablet.

The LP's hairs are certainly not as bad as a Theraphosa apophysis, blondi or even stirmi, but partly due to it's size, the hairs can be a fair irritant.

My worst experience was on a hot, humid evening. One of my LP's flicked as I fed it & my arms being bare & sweaty, even a wash did nothing to help. So I took an antihistamine & all was fine again minutes later.

jrh3

3 Year Member
I am not sure I would describe the LP's hairs as not too bad. But for most of us, they are no worse than an irritation that can quickly & easily be dealt with via an antihistamine (hay fever) tablet.

The LP's hairs are certainly not as bad as a Theraphosa apophysis, blondi or even stirmi, but partly due to it's size, the hairs can be a fair irritant.

My worst experience was on a hot, humid evening. One of my LP's flicked as I fed it & my arms being bare & sweaty, even a wash did nothing to help. So I took an antihistamine & all was fine again minutes later.

my LP would flick hair if you even looked at her. maybe she is flicking right now because I am talking about her. The woman had issues, lol. :)

Isilwen

3 Year Member
I see a lot of people suggesting A genics but in my honest opinion our Genic is one of the most ill tempered T that we have, and we keep 172 different species...... Tliltocatl are fast growning brachypelmas basically and a lot less likely to kick hairs. Sabulosus are nice looking but in Europe not the easiest species to find. Not sure about in the states. N Incei and Incei Gold are nice species to keep. Grammostola are also interesting (except Rosea) and none of the ones we keep kick hairs. But they are slow growing.

I have a t. albo and it is growing just as slow as my b. smithi. You're not the first to say they are fast growing, but I'm not seeing it with my mine.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
The only reason why I asked about the hairs is because I have eczema and my skin is fairly sensitive. I haven't had to re-home my smithi or albo yet, so I haven't had an experience with urticating hairs to date.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In comparison to brachypelma Tliltocatl are faster growing. If your smithi is male and albo female then similar growth rate would make sense.
the missus has eczema and has never had a problem with hairs. Not saying you won’t either as I don’t know if you’ve experienced irritation or not but if that’s what’s bothering you then I wouldn’t worry too much

Latest posts