• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What does your substrate consist of?

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
I too am experimenting with substrates. I've used straight coco fiber in the past as well as a 50/50 mix of coo fiber and top soil. I really like that mix, it packs well and retains moisture well. However there are too many "sticks" to be of much use for slings.
I've decided to sift the top soil to get a finer grade of dirt. I'll try the fine dirt and coco mix with slings soon.

Jeremy-psychonaut

I too am experimenting with substrates. I've used straight coco fiber in the past as well as a 50/50 mix of coo fiber and top soil. I really like that mix, it packs well and retains moisture well. However there are too many "sticks" to be of much use for slings.
I've decided to sift the top soil to get a finer grade of dirt. I'll try the fine dirt and coco mix with slings soon.
I noticed the same thing with the sticks my slings didn’t seem to like it.
I ended up making a small sifter out of strapping and fine chicken wire works great

Eadaein

I have a bioactive setup so it has lasagna layers lol. Bio balls to screen and charcoal to a soil mix of compost, coir, charcoal bits, lots of leaf matter mixed with my springtails and isopods.
Awesome to see everyone's substrate choices! Shows how many options we have!

Eadaein

I have a bioactive setup so it has lasagna layers lol. Bio balls to screen and charcoal to a soil mix of compost, coir, charcoal bits, lots of leaf matter mixed with my springtails and isopods.
I forgot, I discovered Josh's frogs, great place that has the substrate already mixed. I would definitely go that route in the future since I now have a giant container of substrate lol. I also added bioactive booster to help build the soil, THAT I did get from him. Great source of... Everything really.

That sounds delicious! I love italian food.
;)
You know Eadaein, earlier today, I was wondering how to reach my goals with a little back yard garden using that layering method. I have lots of soil amendments, so there's lots of options.
As for the charcoal you mentioned, I think that it can help in two ways. First, it absorbs odor. I make it though to capture minerals and hold onto them for the plants to use.
What do you add fir?

Eadaein

That sounds delicious! I love italian food.
;)
You know Eadaein, earlier today, I was wondering how to reach my goals with a little back yard garden using that layering method. I have lots of soil amendments, so there's lots of options.
As for the charcoal you mentioned, I think that it can help in two ways. First, it absorbs odor. I make it though to capture minerals and hold onto them for the plants to use.
What do you add fir?
Umm, because a couple scape gurus said to. Lol!
Serpa design makes mind blowing vivariums and says to never do a scape without it. Josh's frogs uses it in all bioactive substrate.

From what I understand it's a lot of reasons, smell, absolutely, also it acts as a filter so the water going thru the substrate gets filtered before going thru the screen that leads to the clay bio balls. Any water held there, which shouldn't be much, will dry and won't have gross stuff decomposing there.

Also, springtails like it so I figure, add some mixed in since they like it so much! Lol. I'm all about the little guys. (I'm also a worm farmer, my favorite line ever to use, I raise thousands of compost worms in compost "condos" inside my home. This regulates temperature, shows people how healthy compost won't smell and is easy to dump scraps into, my smallest bucket has charcoal for the smell factor for sure)

The minerals it brings helps make the mix healthier and this more bioactive.
Wow, I sounded like I knew what I was talking about... Impressive. Thank you YouTube videos!

Latest posts