• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you do with the skins from a moult?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you toss them? Save them?

If you save them, how?

I was thinking a nice shadow box display showing the progression of each of my babies over time with each skin pinned and labeled with date and such....

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe it is just my inner Biologist that wants to display these...you have to admit a shadow box with skins from .5in to maturity would be an awesome wall display...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think that shadow boxes would be very cool...I might actually steal this idea once Karina decides to moult. Awesome from both a scientific and a sentimental angle :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I generally take mine to the stables, to work, to the shops, anywhere else I go and poke them in peoples faces while saying "look at money spiders coat" or "flamenco moulted" regardless of if the people concerned actually like spiders or not. I sellotaped one to my shoulder once and spent a day in work freaking people out.

AngelOtter

3 Year Member
I keep then all in little containers, labeled with the date it was shed. I'm a bit OCD with my animals. But I also use then when I teach nature camp, as an educational thing.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a new one for my collection baby hamlet moulted today I have been expecting it for ages but he must have wriggled out really quickly as I missed the while thing. He is a bit bigger than my other b smithis ( although hercules is catching him up in the big belly competition. ) he is lovely, I will look tomorrow to see if he is stripier yet will leave him in the dark for now.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a new one for my collection baby hamlet moulted today I have been expecting it for ages but he must have wriggled out really quickly as I missed the while thing. He is a bit bigger than my other b smithis ( although hercules is catching him up in the big belly competition. ) he is lovely, I will look tomorrow to see if he is stripier yet will leave him in the dark for now.
Grats on Hamlet's moult!

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grats on Hamlet's moult!
Thanks a lot. The little precious was laying on it when I went to work, looks like he's been throwing it around while I was out. From what I can see of him he looks a lot bigger now, just when hercules was catching up.

Latest posts