• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waterboarding.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I was doing maintenance this morning, and I have one sling in a vial that has no dish because its too small to fit one, so I've been dribbling drops of water in her vial. It's one of the tiny campbridgei slings I got recently.
As I was dribbling this morning, half asleep, I moved my finger too much and accidently flooded her burrow.
So, I looked in the side, and I see my spider pasted up against the wall by a burrow full of water, for the first time in six years I panicked, pulled the little piece of cork out, dumped all the muddy water on my bed and floor, and started digging as quickly as I safely could..eventually pulling out a very wet dead spider curled up in a ball.
As I sat there, cursing like a sailor and feeling very small and stupid, my campbridgei crawled off the cork bark on the bed and onto my leg :) I quickly captured her and knowing what I would find, uncurled the dead "spider" and saw that it was indeed a molt that had died, not my sling :)
My heart was thumping, I felt like a complete ****, but was so relieved I started laughing. I'm moving her to a bigger enclosure, with a dish, in a few minutes. I hate to do it but I destroyed her burrow anyway, and I don't like not having a dish, even for babies. Just wanted to share that..I was truly horrified at what I had done..lol. So don't use your finger over the end of a water bottle to dribble water in a tiny sling enclosure..dont be a noob!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's actually been spring weather here in south Texas, really beautiful days :) In fact I'm going to go outside and finish some of my cheeseball enclosures. I think that incident raised my blood pressure a bit. I'm feeling a little edgy, lol.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Hah, understandably so. Well, today here in Mass feels like a New England April, 57 and raining. But the past 3 days were below zero SO...maybe she thinks shes in New England then? But I am jealous of your weather. Cheeseball enclosures?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so glad she was ok. I also hate not being able to fit a water bowl in those little vials but a water dropper works well allowing just a small amount to be trickled down the side.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheeseball enclosures:)

This is where the pic is supposed to be:/
Is anyone else having trouble uploading pics? This has been going on for a few days now..also, when they do upload, they don't go where I put the cursor, they go at the top...anyway, the cheese ball enclosures are just big clear barrels that make perfect enclosures for anything but the giant arboreals. I think they'd be too small for a ten inch Poeci, but the 6 inch and smaller ones fit nicely. I'll try to get a few pics uploaded when it lets me..

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
So I was doing maintenance this morning, and I have one sling in a vial that has no dish because its too small to fit one, so I've been dribbling drops of water in her vial. It's one of the tiny campbridgei slings I got recently.
As I was dribbling this morning, half asleep, I moved my finger too much and accidently flooded her burrow.
So, I looked in the side, and I see my spider pasted up against the wall by a burrow full of water, for the first time in six years I panicked, pulled the little piece of cork out, dumped all the muddy water on my bed and floor, and started digging as quickly as I safely could..eventually pulling out a very wet dead spider curled up in a ball.
As I sat there, cursing like a sailor and feeling very small and stupid, my campbridgei crawled off the cork bark on the bed and onto my leg :) I quickly captured her and knowing what I would find, uncurled the dead "spider" and saw that it was indeed a molt that had died, not my sling :)
My heart was thumping, I felt like a complete ****, but was so relieved I started laughing. I'm moving her to a bigger enclosure, with a dish, in a few minutes. I hate to do it but I destroyed her burrow anyway, and I don't like not having a dish, even for babies. Just wanted to share that..I was truly horrified at what I had done..lol. So don't use your finger over the end of a water bottle to dribble water in a tiny sling enclosure..dont be a masshole!
Do what I do. Get a nail and puncture 1 hole in the lid. Then u can send droplets of water where you want

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a lab wash bottle for watering. It allows me to direct a stream of water very precisely.
Crazy story, glad the little one is alright.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160216_15_34_36_Pro.jpg

@Psyrocke This. Of course my freshly molted metallica ran around the other side when I touched my phone..anyways these are really good for 6 dollars. My problem is I have 14 barrels of cheese balls and I don't like them..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We don't get cheese balls in jars like that over here, they come in bags, which is a pity because my son loves them.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They have other mixes in them dependant on where you go, we got tortilla chips in one at Sams for $3.00. My dogs love the cheese balls and I use them as training rewards ^.~

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus i had a similar experience with my Chaco. I thought he was dead rolled up. the carapace was still in place and everything. I was wondering what i did wrong since it was just a little 1/4 inch sling. and he crawled up from under the substrate while i was watering the other spiders thinking he had died. i know how ya feel. glad it all worked out. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus i had a similar experience with my Chaco. I thought he was dead rolled up. the carapace was still in place and everything. I was wondering what i did wrong since it was just a little 1/4 inch sling. and he crawled up from under the substrate while i was watering the other spiders thinking he had died. i know how ya feel. glad it all worked out. :)
I think my problem was that I forgot just how fast campbridgei slings are..im certain it teleported to the cork when the water hit, I just didn't see it..it very well could have been much worse..I had that panicked feeling you get when you screw up..i think the funniest thing about it was that I felt worse with the spider then I do with humans. Some half assed thug in the jail twitching on the ground didn't scare me half as much. A sad commentary on my morals I suppose. :D oh well.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think my problem was that I forgot just how fast campbridgei slings are..im certain it teleported to the cork when the water hit, I just didn't see it..it very well could have been much worse..I had that panicked feeling you get when you screw up..i think the funniest thing about it was that I felt worse with the spider then I do with humans. Some half assed thug in the jail twitching on the ground didn't scare me half as much. A sad commentary on my morals I suppose. :D oh well.
i dont know i guess im the same way. ill watch people get killed in horror movies all day. but i refuse to watch a movie where i know a dog dies. lol makes me ill.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i dont know i guess im the same way. ill watch people get killed in horror movies all day. but i refuse to watch a movie where i know a dog dies. lol makes me ill.
Oh yeah, I refuse to watch dog movies, turner and hooch made me ..er...very sad..old yeller and where the red fern grows are not allowed on my property..

Latest posts