• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much???

newtots

3 Year Member
My brachypelma smithi and albopolosum both molted twice this month... Is this healthy? I went from a 1/4" albopolosum to 3/4" and 1/6" smithi to a 1/2".... I just don't want them to get too stressed or anything. My albopolosum is a little more moody than before but they both seem healthy

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How often/how much do you feed them? I think some people "powerfeed" to get their spiderling to a size where they're not as fragile anymore.
As long as they appear healthy and eat and put on weight in between the moults there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

P.S: My LP sling moulted twice last month, too, but obviously LP are known for fast growth.

newtots

3 Year Member
The albopolosum doesn't really eat much.. I only feed him every 2 weeks if he'll take it. And the smithi only came last month so she's only had one feeding with me.
Ps.. I don't know the gender of my slings, it's just some seem more like one than the other

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always read to feed little slings at least once a week. thats what i do with mine. and under a certain size, frequent molts r ok. it doesnt sound like u r doing anything to stress them newtots. i think your good. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I powerfeed any slings that are under 2 inches. I like to get them past the stage in which they are most vulnerable. I usually feed mine every 5 to 7 days on average, although to be honest, I don't really have a set schedule I go by for feeding. I go by abdomen size.

newtots

3 Year Member
i didn't know it was possible to power feed them... like i said my b. albopolosum doesn't usually take prey when i put them in. out of curiosity could a tarantula eat an aphid....or would it make it sick, they usually eat whatever they catch. i have one b albopolosum that is 1/6" and i don't have any fruit flies. he's the only one that size, the rest are all big enough for 1/4" crickets. i got it as a bonus from tarantula canada and the only way i can get fruit flies is to order them online for 15$ and 20 shipping. and they only come in 100+, for one spider that seems a bit much.. any solutions? preferably other than decapitating a cricket because that really seems like more the spiders line of work

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i didn't know it was possible to power feed them... like i said my b. albopolosum doesn't usually take prey when i put them in. out of curiosity could a tarantula eat an aphid....or would it make it sick, they usually eat whatever they catch. i have one b albopolosum that is 1/6" and i don't have any fruit flies. he's the only one that size, the rest are all big enough for 1/4" crickets. i got it as a bonus from tarantula canada and the only way i can get fruit flies is to order them online for 15$ and 20 shipping. and they only come in 100+, for one spider that seems a bit much.. any solutions? preferably other than decapitating a cricket because that really seems like more the spiders line of work
Pesticides and parasites make wild caught prey a bad idea.

Only other thing I can recommend is feeding it prekilled prey.

Latest posts