• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This is how to start a bio active terrarium

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
@menavodi Nice thread. Good looking enclosure and impressive that you built it yourself.
But in the interest of accurate information, that is NOT a bioactive enclosure. What you have there is an enclosure with dirt and plants. Maybe a bit more of a naturalistic enclosure but not a bioactive enclosure.

I know bioactive is the new fad, the hot, buzz word of the day. Many have seen what you think is a bioactive enclosure on FB. Dirt and plants does not make a bioactive enclosure.

The whole point of a bioactive enclosure is to attempt to create a sort of balanced, closed loop environment. Now it's not a true closed system as the keeper will still have to add food in the form of prey items and moisture. But it should be designed with all the inhabitants in mind.

Take for example the substrate. Since we are dealing with spiders the substrate has to be suitable for the spiders needs ie digging, moisture retention, it has to meed the plants needs, ie moisture retention, macro and micro nutrient availability, and it has to support the microfauna.

Now this is what truly separates a bioactive enclosure from an enclosure with dirt and plants. In a bioactive enclosure the substrate is as much a living thing, as whatever you are housing in the enclosure. Go ahead, read that again.
Your substrate should be teeming with life. Springtails, isopods, nematodes, earthworms etc. They break down organic waste to provide nutrients for the plants. Lots of leaf litter for microfauna to live and breed. Take a walk in the forest. How many inches or layer of dead leaves are decaying on the forest floor? That's where the bioactivity is.
You should have fungus. Yes, you might see mushrooms or mold. In many of my dart frog vivariums I have been lucky enough to have slime mold appear. Absolutely fascinating to watch. I didn't put it in there, it appeared naturally. Hopefully you won't have slime mold in your spiders enclosure as that would mean the humidity is way too high and not enough ventilation.

A bioactive enclosure is far more than dirt, plants, and water. Lots of water. It's a term a lot of spider keepers throw around but few really have a clue as to how to proper impliment it. I encourage some cross hobby learning. Check out some dart frog forums. They have been doing bioactive enclosures for years and years. Long before it became trendy and unnecessary for tarantulas.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Check out some dart frog forums. They have been doing bioactive enclosures for years and years. Long before it became trendy and unnecessary for tarantulas.
Given this last bit, and your handle, your informative and softly-scathing response is not surprising, but in reality, keeping any of the afore-mentioned animals in a box in your home is unnecessary; nature does it better than any of us.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Given this last bit, and your handle, your informative and softly-scathing response is not surprising, but in reality, keeping any of the afore-mentioned animals in a box in your home is unnecessary; nature does it better than any of us.
Of course nature does it best. Any of who thinks we come close to replicating nature is foolish. Not many things are necessary in life. Eating steak and lobster isn't necessary, but I enjoy it.

This is about information and I pointed the OP towards a hobby with relevant information for two reasons:
1. I have first hand knowledge of other keepers who have had successful bioactive vivariums for years.
2. The hobby as a whole is way ahead of tarantula keepers when it comes to bioactive enclosures.

I would have tried to supply a good resource for information wether it be a dart frog keepers forum, a reef keepers forum, or a rhinoceros keepers forum.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You are right @Frogdaddy. I am keeping dartfrogs for very many years. I know what you mean. A bio active enclosure has to start somewhere. Some of my terrariums I started many years ago. Many of them grow mushrooms and slime… but all of them started with one glas terrarium, soil, plants and water…. We all enjoy to have a part of nature in our home…

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last night she was out and about! I guess she is hungry… :)
1623188287736.jpeg

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A month went by fast. This is what it looks today. The tradescantia did not do too good, I did not keep the soil wet enough. But the cambrigei is out all the time. Ready to eat.
1625604676799.jpeg

prince charmless

Of course nature does it best. Any of who thinks we come close to replicating nature is foolish. Not many things are necessary in life. Eating steak and lobster isn't necessary, but I enjoy it.

This is about information and I pointed the OP towards a hobby with relevant information for two reasons:
1. I have first hand knowledge of other keepers who have had successful bioactive vivariums for years.
2. The hobby as a whole is way ahead of tarantula keepers when it comes to bioactive enclosures.

I would have tried to supply a good resource for information wether it be a dart frog keepers forum, a reef keepers forum, or a rhinoceros keepers forum.
How much for a rhinoceros?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Looks super cool! Great job in capturing a little bit of nature. Like a Zen garden: something you can just sit back and watch a touch of the outside, inside.

Latest posts