• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking about getting 3 T slings/juvis

Rev SWIM

3 Year Member
I got my first A. Avic a month ago, already been bitten by the bug (the collecting bug) and now a guy locally is selling some juvies: a Mexican Fireleg, a Greenbottle Blue, and a Curly Hair T. I'm thinking of getting all three, trip Ts, but I had a question. I've read the care sheets, what else do I need to know about these species that isn't written on wikipets or whatever? Anyone take care of them and can give me some personality rundowns (even though every T is different.)

Which Ts can I expect to stay out in the open, which may be more active? Which ones will I probably never see? Which is most likely to bite my hand off with painful poison? What can you tell me that internet caresheets dont? I guess I could search the forum for every single species but that would take a bazillion hours and leads to contradictory information. Who out there knows these species and can tell me what to expect?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they're all dry species. GBB are a bit skittish. they all stay out in the open, GBBs however will web heavily.
Venom isn't much of an issue with these 3. They're all hair kickers.

Rev SWIM

3 Year Member
Why do some people not recommend GBB for beginners? And do the listed species have a high survivability as slings? Sorry for the dumb questions, new to the hobby but love the animals

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
Why do some people not recommend GBB for beginners? And do the listed species have a high survivability as slings? Sorry for the dumb questions, new to the hobby but love the animals

they are hardy species so you shouldn't have any problems with taking care of them at least the brachy species and I hear GBB are hardy. as far as why GBB are not recommended for beginner 100 percent sure but I think it has to do with their skittishness they can be bolts of lighting so you have to be careful when the lids open. however I don't own one so I could be wrong,

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Those 3 species should do fine. They are all pretty hardy. The only reason I can think that someone would not recommend a GBB for a beginner is that they are pretty skittish/nervous. The B boehmei is a notorious hair flicker. The B albopilosum I think will be your most docile. keep in mind that ts tend to be more skittish when they are young. You can keep them all as terrestrial. The GBB likes to web so some stuff to anchor webbing to is always a plus for them.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Looks like he's also throwing in a free OBT. I am so excited. I'll have an actual collection.
The best one of the 4 is the free one ;). Congrats on the new additions, be careful with the obt, their speed can be scary at first, but they usually will just retreat to their webbing or burrow when you need to change water or anything.
Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Latest posts