• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Transfer "The bottle method"

Roo

3 Year Member
Okay so I came up with this while moving a few nasty old world T's. I don't know if anyone has tried this before but we'll see.

What you will need

- 2 Pop (Soda) bottles, the lager the better
- Scissors or a sharp knife
- Windproof lighter or soldering iron (Or anything that can quickly melt plastic)

Steps

- Empty out and clean both soda bottles
- Cut both bottles in half (Keep bot top parts (with the screw on caps) of both bottles
- Melt the sharp plastic edges of the bottle (you don't need to do this for long as most bottles are made of thin plastic. This is to make sure you don't accidentally cut your spider with sharp plastic).
- Cut the "top" off one of the bottles leaving you a big enough hole for the spider to run out of

Method

- Place bottle (with screw on cap still attached) over the spider, or to the side if it wont climb
- If you are packing the T into a smaller container for shipping, attach the second bottle part to the bottom, usually you can just slide it over or under the plastic rim (the part you melted) or the other bottle.
- Place the larger hole right against whatever you're packing it into
- Unscrew the plastic cap of the bottle and insert your paint brush/tongs etc.
- Gently nudge the spider back down the bottle into the packing container.

Simple and cheap and far less fuss!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use the bottle method with most of my transfers and it works great! I find a lot of times they cram themselves into the top with the cap, so I'll just carefully unscrew it and point the neck into the burrow. Most times, they'll just crawl right out and into the burrow with no problem (others, a slight tap with a paint brush from behind will get them moving). :)