• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Stung by Tarantula Hawk Wasp

Dawn

3 Year Member
actually i'm in a great mood :D sorry if that post sounded a bit abrupt, i was multitasking at the time.

It's just my take on it, i don't intervene with nature.

I wouldn't go save the momma bunny and her few babies from the coyote that was chasing them the other evening (although i did wish i had my rifle with me to get the coyote pelt), i wouldn't go rescue a T from a Tarantula Hawk Wasp either. it's part of hte circle of life and has a lot more consequences than just saving a T and forcing the wasp to find another to lay it's egg on.

It was already clear you had this mindset/value system from an earlier post. Notice I didn't engage it then. Why? Because saying that NOW does nothing to help my current dilemma. I actually agree with you. But I did, right or wrong, and now I have this little creature that I'm trying to get back to health. So, perhaps continuing to say your stance, in this particular forum, really does nothing proactive to help this particular situation. If this was a topic discussing "if one should intervene" then perhaps those comments would solicit a more positive response. Just my two cents.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I try not to but I feel the same way. Because I'm an animal lover, it's hard to let it go, but I always just think that letting it happen feeds other animals' families. Trust me, afterwards, ul have some other thoughts that helps forget about the bad feelings.

Dawn

3 Year Member
Well, it has been awhile so I thought I would update everyone. She is definitely moving around a lot better, although still not lifting her body and walking but instead dragging it but her legs are way more active now. She still will not eat on her own though no matter how much I try to get her to. Now, granted I am trying to feed her recently deceased crickets. I cannot feed her live ones as she can't catch them and I cannot bring myself to "disable" them for her to eat. So I'm still just mushing up the dry meal worms and adding water to that. She is venturing to climb a bit now, but can't go up very far on things just yet. She freaked me out last week - it was an 8 day streak where I couldn't get her to walk at all. I thought perhaps I had fed her too much of that meal worm stuff and it had gotten stuck in her or something so I stopped that and just did water for a few days and she came back. So I'm only doing the meal worm stuff every 4th day and then in between that every other day giving her a few drops of water. But it has been almost 2 months now... not sure how much longer she can go without really eating. Now that its getting cooler outside I definitely won't be able to let her go until next summer so it looks like I need to get myself a 50 gallon tank and get her a larger enclosure. Right now she is still just walking around a spare bedroom I have on a sheet. ;)

Dawn

3 Year Member
Well actually, tonight, she has successfully walked with her abdomen up AND she has climbed over a rolled up towel, the edge of my inversion table, and gotten herself out of a couple tight spots in the room all on her own! I let the room really warm up today so its like 78 degrees in there so perhaps that might explain her extra mobility but she is substantially motoring around!! I mean we are talking major laps around the room! There is huge progress tonight! I bet in a few days she will be walking normal via carrying her own body weight. I'm so excited!! And no, I can't kill ANYTHING, bugs included, no matter what kind!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rehabbing her is scientifically interesting. Still I doubt you'll get back to 100%, which is needed for survival in nature.

Releasing her back is a death sentence!!

I'd keep her and see how she behaves, how long she lives and if he dietary needs change.

exalien

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I specifically signed up after I found this thread from a google search.

A week ago I too rescued a Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk. At the time I was kind of naive in that I thought the poison would quickly wear off and it would resume its normal activity. However, once I did a little research and learned how powerful the sting actually is, I purchased a terrarium, water dish, substrate, etc. and placed it in ICU.

I've been attempting to hydrate it by doing what you have done - rolling it on its back and gently squeezing a drop into its mouth. However, I have not yet attempted to acquire any food source for it, since it's not really moving other than twitches when I gently prod it.

I was just curious if you have any updates on your T, since it's been about two years since this thread was originally created. I'm unsure as to what to do, other than the hydration thing. I don't know how much I should attempt to directly handle it in order to stimulate it. Also, I bought one of those half logs that acts as a kind of darkened den, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should expose it to more light to see if that stimulates it.

I'm in Arizona (Prescott), so I'm not sure if I should be placing it on some dampened paper towels to increase humidity and hydration absorption, as others have done, or if it's better to maintain a very dry environment.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I specifically signed up after I found this thread from a google search.

A week ago I too rescued a Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk. At the time I was kind of naive in that I thought the poison would quickly wear off and it would resume its normal activity. However, once I did a little research and learned how powerful the sting actually is, I purchased a terrarium, water dish, substrate, etc. and placed it in ICU.

I've been attempting to hydrate it by doing what you have done - rolling it on its back and gently squeezing a drop into its mouth. However, I have not yet attempted to acquire any food source for it, since it's not really moving other than twitches when I gently prod it.

I was just curious if you have any updates on your T, since it's been about two years since this thread was originally created. I'm unsure as to what to do, other than the hydration thing. I don't know how much I should attempt to directly handle it in order to stimulate it. Also, I bought one of those half logs that acts as a kind of darkened den, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should expose it to more light to see if that stimulates it.

I'm in Arizona (Prescott), so I'm not sure if I should be placing it on some dampened paper towels to increase humidity and hydration absorption, as others have done, or if it's better to maintain a very dry environment.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi exalien welcome. Try following this thread https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/baby-tarantula-stung-by-a-tarantula-wasp.22207/. It's much more up to date and Alycia is updating quite regularly.
Credit to you for trying to save the poor mite. :)

Latest posts