• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula injuries

Raven Harris-Keim

3 Year Member
I recently purchased a female Goliath from a reptile expo, she seemed in good health and was very eager to feed and explore her new habitat. However lastnight she seems to have sustained an injury to her abdomen somehow, possibly from a fall? I am not sure. Will she recover? Should I be worried? She is still eating well and moving around her enclosure.

Attachments

• 6E29DBB2-E61E-490C-8B46-1767256734D8.jpeg
    6E29DBB2-E61E-490C-8B46-1767256734D8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Thats not an injury but a T t kicking off urticating hairs. Tarantulas often do this when stressed, to put down a defense around there home, and right before a molt. At the very least it might be a rub mark from entering his/her hide.
This is what they will often do right before a molt especially big Theraphosa. The spider has covered itself with UT's in defense while vulnerable during its molt process.
T. stirmi urticating hair armor.jpeg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats not an injury but a T t kicking off urticating hairs. Tarantulas often do this when stressed, to put down a defense around there home, and right before a molt. At the very least it might be a rub mark from entering his/her hide.
This is what they will often do right before a molt especially big Theraphosa. The spider has covered itself with UT's in defense while vulnerable during its molt process.
View attachment 29370
Amazing picture! Is it yours?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Was the humidity way way too high?

Mold can get into the book lungs and kill them off, sudden avic death syndrome etc.

I lost a M balfouri to fecal impaction in an enclosure with a mold problem fat more severe then I thought. I can't prove it but I think mold played a role.

It's not entirely irrational.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Was the humidity way way too high?

Mold can get into the book lungs and kill them off, sudden avic death syndrome etc.

I lost a M balfouri to fecal impaction in an enclosure with a mold problem fat more severe then I thought. I can't prove it but I think mold played a role.

It's not entirely irrational.
Look, Its urticating hairs from a Theraphosa species NOT mold! I have seen similar pic/posts in the past, usually its the bigger adults that go to this extreme.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've almost never had any of mine kick hairs. When you are removing the old molted skins, that's when you get slammed. Try not to inhale!!

It's a case of the dead being more dangerous then the living.

When I redid my H pulchripes enclosure I briefly was like where's my gloves. Then I'm thinking it's an old world tarantula. No problem.

It's best to not feed until a week after molting.

Last edited: