• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula in mouth? Handling Q’s

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Alexanderx I hope that from all the earlier posts you have the intelligence to realise:

1. Handling a Tarantula is not recommended by any member on this forum and putting one in your mouth is a strange thing to contemplate
2. 'art' comes in many forms and as an artist I am sure you can think a little out the box and come up with another way to actually help others see the beauty of these creatures
3. Living in a box (as well as an 80s song) is actually how most spiders live in the wild otherwise they are predated on and we at least simulate the wild in the best way we all can
4. If you still want to continue on this path then I suggest you keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself as it is not welcome on a forum like this. Maybe try Arachnoboards you may be more welcome there with your suggestions.

I wish you all the best with your art, just please don't use any live animal for the sake of it.

Incompletegeek

3 Year Member

These tarantulas look tame and unbothered, what kind are they?

edit: sorry if you’re offended by this video

Haha, posting a Billie Eilish video... an artist known for her brilliant use of special/video effects in her music videos. I guarantee you there wasn't a single tarantula or spider in the room with her that day. As for her claiming to put that tarantula in her mouth for real that is just bull**** to please her edgy teenage fans.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
I just watched a couple nitwits get stung and bitten on TV. Seems like wild TV can't come up with something useful.
Kid, Alexanderx ,watch that show, see if you want 1/2 inch fangs clamping on to your tonsils..... Alexanderx you're a moron.
Please excuse me I don't usually use that sort of language.
PT.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have a few noob questions about tarantula’s- mainly about handling them.
Are there any species that like to be handled and are docile?
I’ve seen some tarantula videos where the person will put a massive tarantula in their mouth and then let it crawl out onto their face... I’m an artist and interested in doing similar stunts- would this be safe for the tarantula and me?
When I first read your post about putting them in your mouth I thought you were joking. Then I scrolled further down the page and realized you were serious. Really? I have a small plastic T that I sometimes put in my mouth and occasionally freak out friends that stop by but that's as far as it goes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I guess what I was asking was out of 900-some species, were those two random picks or was there a reason.
Well for shock value...I chose them because they are a couple of the nastiest spiders readily available. If hes doing it for shock value then that's what it should be...not some docile species with mild venom. I'm not in shock when I see a Alphonopelma or Brachypelma in someone's mouth...I want to see a baboon or asian species!!!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
ZomboMeme 14112019091032.jpg

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Well for shock value...I chose them because they are a couple of the nastiest spiders readily available. If hes doing it for shock value then that's what it should be...not some docile species with mild venom. I'm not in shock when I see a Alphonopelma or Brachypelma in someone's mouth...I want to see a baboon or asian species!!!!

I just read up on those two. Apparently they both have rather potent venom. Good choices for him.
:T:

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Here's my input:

In regards to handling, i'm neither for nor against. Personally, i've kept T's for only 2 ½ years and handled my G Pulchripes twice in that time, the other 10 I have are either too skittish, too defensive or too venomous to go near with my hands without risk of hairs or a nasty bite, so I just don't touch them.

In the mouth... Risky business for both, yes. This has been done countless times by multiple people from your everyday to big corporate TV producers, it has been done on Fear Factor and I'm A Celebrity so don't anyone pretend it's one of the first times this has been done, maybe call Endemol or NBC out online for doing it or ITV?, believe me that would do nothing to stop them and end in cops at your door. Fat-cats using animals to make money will continue because of the volume of moronic idiots out there that lap it up. That includes that Billie Eilish video, they were real spiders, looked like juvenile Nephila to me and maybe G Pulchra's.
Remember how we got Tarantulas in the hobby in the first place, by giving money to people to dig them out of their secure, safe burrows in the wild and ship them across the world in boxes so we could have them in our homes and that continues today with wild-caught T's we buy, nobody's hands are clean here.
Ultimately, spiders don't remember the event so they're not scarred for life, if they had the capacity to learn from events they'd stop climbing to heights they fall from time after time that could potentially kill them, they're primitive animals.

I wouldn't personally do it or like the idea of it but if it's something you are determined to do, you'll do it.
I would suggest that if it's for digital media and you're a dab-hand at photoshop, superimpose one, everyones a winner. A tarantula wouldn't know whether it was in a hand, mouth or ass but is more than prepared to kick or bite to defend itself so be warned.

I'm not advocating for this T-in-mouth stunt, i'm just shining a light on the bigger reality of what humans do to animals for entertainment or personal gain.

Latest posts