• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula in mouth? Handling Q’s

Alexanderx

I have a few noob questions about tarantula’s- mainly about handling them.
Are there any species that like to be handled and are docile?
I’ve seen some tarantula videos where the person will put a massive tarantula in their mouth and then let it crawl out onto their face... I’m an artist and interested in doing similar stunts- would this be safe for the tarantula and me?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No tarantulas like to be handled but some will tolerate it. Handling should only be attempted over a soft surface so if the tarantula falls or jumps it can't hurt or worse kill itself.
Anyone who puts any tarantula in their mouth is an idiot. Think of the discomfort if the tarantula kicked hair or bit the inside of the mouth.

T-Baby

3 Year Member
My advise would be and always will be to never handle a tarantula in any way shape or form and that includes stuffing it inside your mouth. They don’t benefit from it, they don’t want it and you run the risk of being bitten and/or dropping which can lead to death. As from an artist perspective, try using different backgrounds/lighting for photos where you can use to draw/sketch or adding your own flare with some props.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m an artist and interested in doing similar stunts- would this be safe for the tarantula and me?

Go for it....put one in your mouth!!!!! If you want to be really cool I'd go for a Heteroscodra maculata or Stromatopelma calceatum. :cool:

I like the red & black on the Atrax robustus, or they could do something about liking bananas & then try it with Phoneutria fera.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The heck did I just read!?!?!?!?

I won't even go into how bad of an idea sticking a tarantula in a mouth is, because it is one of the worst.

Tarantulas do not "like" handling, some will tolerate it to a point, but they get no benefit from it. It is more for the pleasure of the human.

Alexanderx

Why in the hell would you want to put a tarantula in your mouth? Would it make you feel macho having another living creature in your mouth?
Ive always wanted to punch someone in the face for doing this, maybe we can hook up?

I want to do this for the shock effect of an audience.

You must feel pretty macho yourself engaging me in a fight on an Internet forum. Let’s go 1v1 I’ll rek you m8

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Then why not take the time to learn some Bizarre Magic, as when done well it can really shock people & leave them unsure of what they have seen.

I have books that show how to eat molten metal or glass. Both look great but both clearly involve personal risk, so shock.

Personally I sometimes get two people to pull a knot within a rope very tight around my neck & I make sure the spectators do genuinely pull VERY hard. No faking, no slights of hand, a genuine rope that can be checked & nothing more than a simple knot within a rope, which is placed over my head & then pulled as tight as two people can possibly pull it.

Things like a Ouija Board if used correctly can also shock people. I use two 1888 pennies that belonged to Annie Chapman (I do have letters of authenticity. They were found on her body after her murder.) I then use a pendulum in a spectaors hand to contact her. I clearly have no control over the pendulum, but I can gurentee if I have done my part correctly, that I will get replies to my & anyone elses questions via that pendulum & that if I have done my part correctly, those replies will sometimes cause audience discomfort.

Personally I think animals used within entertainment normally ends up offending far more than it does shocking. Although it has to be said the behaviour of some who misuse animals within their acts, just for their own applause is both disgusting & shocking.

T-Baby

3 Year Member

These tarantulas look tame and unbothered, what kind are they?

edit: sorry if you’re offended by this video
Tarantulas aren’t toys, they are live animals be respectful and leave them alone. Everyone on this forum love their Tarantulas, it’s pretty clear you’re here seeking advice on how to play with them for entertainment. Find an animal that ENJOYS being played with and use them for your artistry. You’ve been given lots of advice on the subject yet you still continue to ask the same question when we’re all aware of WHY you truly wish to know.
With this in mind, I sincerely hope you never own a Tarantula.

Alexanderx

Tarantulas aren’t toys, they are live animals be respectful and leave them alone. Everyone on this forum love their Tarantulas, it’s pretty clear you’re here seeking advice on how to play with them for entertainment. Find an animal that ENJOYS being played with and use them for your artistry. You’ve been given lots of advice on the subject yet you still continue to ask the same question when we’re all aware of WHY you truly wish to know.
With this in mind, I sincerely hope you never own a Tarantula.

Do tarantulas enjoy living in captivity inside of a box just for the pleasure and hobby of their human owners?
I don’t see how using a tarantula to entertain people is any different, that’s why my questions are handling specific

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Do tarantulas enjoy living in captivity inside of a box just for the pleasure and hobby of their human owners?
I don’t see how using a tarantula to entertain people is any different, that’s why my questions are handling specific
I’m not really sure how you’re trying to justify what you’re saying. Keeping them ‘in a box’ is entirely different to potentially harming the tarantula and yourself by unnecessary handling. I think you’re missing the point of your own post, bottom line is you won’t find anyone here that’ll encourage or advice you on how to handle a tarantula to potentially stuff one in your mouth which you admitted to wanting to try.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Personally, I would never put a tarantula anywhere near my face, even with my gentlest species. Ts can be easily startled by a breath and a fall from that height would surely kill a heavy bodied tarantula. Not to mention the urticating hairs they could kick directly into your airway or eyes. Even if you chose something smaller and arboreal like an Avicularia, they are super flighty and are notorious for being poop cannons...def not something I want in my mouth.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

In the wild Taratulas are solitary creatures who move very little, except the males who after matureing go for a walk looking for a female. They are also prey for other species. In captivity they normally have more room than they use in the wild. Thier enviroment is controlled to keep it optimal, unlike in the wild. They get regular food, unlike in the wild, where they sit & wait for suitable food item to walk inches away from them. And they have have no predators.

In short in captivity most tarantulas have an existence that most wild T's would find ideal. Although it does have to be admitted some captive T's do end up in the possession of those who abuse & misuse them. Such as I imagine in the clip above. But I have no intention of clicking on the above link & increasing her viewing figures & thus encouraging such behaviour.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

You must feel pretty macho yourself engaging me in a fight on an Internet forum. Let’s go 1v1 I’ll rek you m8
Shock value....you dont belong in a group like this. My vote is to get a troll like you outta here.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Think I'm going to go read the molt thread or create a thread about the legendary powers of the infamous black cat of New York.

Latest posts