• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Stirmi help

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They can be rather difficult to breed. I haven't been able to breed my current mature Male. All three ladies I tried to pair him with all tried to eat him right off the bat. Temperature, humidity and even the seasons can come into play. The enclosure for the female has to be correct as well to have a successful sack. Not one of the easiest spiders to breed... especially for a novice to breeding. Its definitely doable though. Just gotta find the right person to guide you through it.

Taraspatula

They can be rather difficult to breed. I haven't been able to breed my current mature Male. All three ladies I tried to pair him with all tried to eat him right off the bat. Temperature, humidity and even the seasons can come into play. The enclosure for the female has to be correct as well to have a successful sack. Not one of the easiest spiders to breed... especially for a novice to breeding. Its definitely doable though. Just gotta find the right person to guide you through it.

Yeah, I ordered that exo terra enclosure you recommended a couple days ago for the purpose of cross ventilation. Also been messing around with biodudes products with their bioactive terrariums. She'll have a nice beautiful moist, damp, spacious enclosure a T could get from a non employed student studying for boards to start making money but is also a tarantula addict could get.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Is your substrate too dry? That's the only time I've noticed stirmis climbing.
Here is how I find the little stirmi every night. Up at the top messing around. Substrate is pretty damp all over:
IMG_9307.JPG

Here is my Lp in the enclosure I tried to put the stirmi in. It has dried out significantly since the stirmi was in it:
IMG_9314.JPG

Taraspatula

That's a nice looking setup.The spider will tell you if it's too much moss by shifting it out of the way. If you haven't already done so you should add some springtails. The sooner you do it the better, they will help keep down mould and get rid of tiny bits of food waste the spider drops.

Okay, I’m using the Biodudes special tarantula specific bioactive kit. I’m planning to get spring tails soon! Repticon is 3 days away where I’m from and it’ll be easy for me to get them that way.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With mine, I like to vary the moisture and textures a bit. I try to have a warm wet, cool wet, cool dry and warm dry corners on my enclosure. Sometimes after school water, she'll go to the drier parts or other places. If my room gets colder or warmer she'll adjust her position accordingly.

I've had great results, 2 totally perfect molts. She eats well and although mainly fossoral, will on occasion let everyone know she opens the cage.

Aside from one near disaster that is mentioned in the bite reports, I've had few problems once I got the enclosure thrashed into shape.

She was an impulse wild caught "rescue" from a certain pet store.

Taraspatula

With mine, I like to vary the moisture and textures a bit. I try to have a warm wet, cool wet, cool dry and warm dry corners on my enclosure. Sometimes after school water, she'll go to the drier parts or other places. If my room gets colder or warmer she'll adjust her position accordingly.

I've had great results, 2 totally perfect molts. She eats well and although mainly fossoral, will on occasion let everyone know she opens the cage.

Aside from one near disaster that is mentioned in the bite reports, I've had few problems once I got the enclosure thrashed into shape.

She was an impulse wild caught "rescue" from a certain pet store.

Yeah I think I got that idea from you but there’s definitely different zones in her enclosure that has cool/dry (in her hide), cool/wet on the make shift smaller hide to the bottom left, I also put a lot of moss around her water bowl just incase I spill pouring some in so that area stay pretty moisty.

I also tried to make is so she can climb above her log hide but I haven’t seen her attempt yet it since it’s only been less then 24 hrs.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

spodermin

If you want a glass tank and be able to see your spider get a exo terra long short tank. The cross ventilation is awesome for stirmis. You can change the screen top out if you like but if you put alot of substrate in it it will work. My stirmis can touch the ground and the top at the same time so they cant get stuck. Ive never seen the climb either...they all love to burrow in their giant caves. Here's a video of one of their enclosures. I got ride of the old fish tank cause the cross ventilation sucked...was getting mold and stuff. The exo terra rock. You can build a enclosure out of a tub but I like to see my spiders.

That joker tatt is ****ing tremendous dude.

As far as stirmis go, my smallest one just molted! I use sterilite totes but only because I have so many that the stackability and functionality is unrivaled. You can get the ones that are practically clear and add your own ventilation.

If your substrate is exclusively cocofibre, add some vermiculite to hold moisture. The least mentioned piece of advice for keeping theraphosa is bioactive substrate. Springtails and isopods allow you to keep the substrate damp enough so the spider is getting adequate humidity.

Keep it damp. Keep it bioactive. That's about all you have to remember. That and watch out for the hairs. Unlike brachy or something with itchy hairs, these ones are straight up painful. They feel like metal slivers, the kind you can't see but can absolutely feel. Also make sure if you give it a hide or burrow, that it is tall enough for them to molt properly

spodermin

Ah I just read the second page of responses and saw people have actually beat me to the springtail recommendation. Cudos to all of you, springtails and isos = happy stirmi

The moss is good for holding in moisture and the stirmi shouldn"t mind it at all, the opposite if anything. Nice looking enclosure

Taraspatula

That joker tatt is ****ing tremendous dude.

As far as stirmis go, my smallest one just molted! I use sterilite totes but only because I have so many that the stackability and functionality is unrivaled. You can get the ones that are practically clear and add your own ventilation.

If your substrate is exclusively cocofibre, add some vermiculite to hold moisture. The least mentioned piece of advice for keeping theraphosa is bioactive substrate. Springtails and isopods allow you to keep the substrate damp enough so the spider is getting adequate humidity.

Keep it damp. Keep it bioactive. That's about all you have to remember. That and watch out for the hairs. Unlike brachy or something with itchy hairs, these ones are straight up painful. They feel like metal slivers, the kind you can't see but can absolutely feel. Also make sure if you give it a hide or burrow, that it is tall enough for them to molt properly

Thanks so much for the advice! As for online wise whats the best place to get isos and springs?

Latest posts