• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Stirmi help

Taraspatula

Hi everyone, just purchased one and is currently in a 10 gallon tank. Haven’t measured it yet but it’s pretty big.

I was just wondering if there are other inputs and have certain helpful advices to keep it’s survival rate at the highest.

Currently in my closet with a water dish and towel around it’s enclosure until it gets adjusted and feels comfortable.

452A2736-5661-4905-9E09-0B225D0BE983.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you want a glass tank and be able to see your spider get a exo terra long short tank. The cross ventilation is awesome for stirmis. You can change the screen top out if you like but if you put alot of substrate in it it will work. My stirmis can touch the ground and the top at the same time so they cant get stuck. Ive never seen the climb either...they all love to burrow in their giant caves. Here's a video of one of their enclosures. I got ride of the old fish tank cause the cross ventilation sucked...was getting mold and stuff. The exo terra rock. You can build a enclosure out of a tub but I like to see my spiders.

MrKrowe

Lots of substrate, lots of ventilation. Glass tanks can be a problem due to a lack of cross ventilation, but obviously they look good. You might have problems with a glass tank in a cupboard. Keep one end of the tank moist, not soaked, and let the other practically dry out to create a gradient. These guys are happier with a deep burrow. In a 10 gallon tank you would do well to practically fill it with substrate, compact it, and create a large starter burrow. I mist mine around every 10 days or so but only on the damp half of the tank. Springtails are essential as a cleanup crew, always remove the bolus as soon as you see it. Provide a large water bowl or two and keep it filled with fresh water. Your spider will use it as a poop and dump ground so keep on top of it. And read this ...

https://www.theraphosidae.be/en/theraphosa-stirmi/

Congratulations :) You are now the owner of one of the most awe inspiring animals on the planet.

Taraspatula

If you want a glass tank and be able to see your spider get a exo terra long short tank. The cross ventilation is awesome for stirmis. You can change the screen top out if you like but if you put alot of substrate in it it will work. My stirmis can touch the ground and the top at the same time so they cant get stuck. Ive never seen the climb either...they all love to burrow in their giant caves. Here's a video of one of their enclosures. I got ride of the old fish tank cause the cross ventilation sucked...was getting mold and stuff. The exo terra rock. You can build a enclosure out of a tub but I like to see my spiders.

Your enclosures are always so cool! I really appreciate all the advices every single one of you guys give me all the time!

Taraspatula

Lots of substrate, lots of ventilation. Glass tanks can be a problem due to a lack of cross ventilation, but obviously they look good. You might have problems with a glass tank in a cupboard. Keep one end of the tank moist, not soaked, and let the other practically dry out to create a gradient. These guys are happier with a deep burrow. In a 10 gallon tank you would do well to practically fill it with substrate, compact it, and create a large starter burrow. I mist mine around every 10 days or so but only on the damp half of the tank. Springtails are essential as a cleanup crew, always remove the bolus as soon as you see it. Provide a large water bowl or two and keep it filled with fresh water. Your spider will use it as a poop and dump ground so keep on top of it. And read this ...

https://www.theraphosidae.be/en/theraphosa-stirmi/

Congratulations :) You are now the owner of one of the most awe inspiring animals on the planet.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so excited to find out its gender and to see it fully grown.. The pet shop owner said it wasn't sexed yet! Anyway I can sex it without its moult?

MrKrowe

It looks fairly large, hard to believe a breeder wouldn’t have sexed from a moult at some point considering how much these spiders can go for. I’m always suspicious of anyone selling unsexed after fifth or sixth instar.

I’m no expert at ventral sexing, all of mine have been done from moults. Some clear pics wouldn’t hurt though.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so excited to find out its gender and to see it fully grown.. The pet shop owner said it wasn't sexed yet! Anyway I can sex it without its moult?
Let's see a ventral picture...stirmi are pretty easy to sex compared to others. Yours kinda looks female but it's really dark and unclear.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine just loves moist frog moss. They may climb around if it's too dry, hot, cold etc. I keep one part of my enclosure next to the burrow very moist and the other part a bit drier in case she gets to water logged.

These guys are normally pretty fossoral and only occasionally come out in plain sight. They like a huge hiding place, especially if there are 2 entrances.

They will also wander around if they're hungry. With, this is usually the case 99% of the time. Attacking the waterdish when you fill it indicates that they're hungry, as with any other tarantula.

The first thing to try is feeding the T stirmi. They eat more then normal. They'll typically eat about 6 crickets, or 3 super worms or 3 large roaches weekly.

Mindy moonlighting 1.jpg
T stirmi Mindy moonlighting 2.jpg

When I fed her, she went back into the burrow.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Taraspatula

Looks to be a female. Theres usually a dark triangle on the males. Definitely need to verify with the next molt to be sure. Ventral sexing is never 100% accurate.

Im so excited. How does the breeding process work with a male one? Is there a subforum? Just asking without doing any research whats so ever on it. Im planning to go to repticon in San Bernardino, CA since I am local and might end up finding a male.

Latest posts