• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T in hiding

MichK

3 Year Member
My N Coloratovillosus dug itself a hole and covered itself up over 3 months ago. The only reason I know it is still alive is because I can see it move sometimes through the bottom of its enclosure.

At what point do I decide enough is enough and gently dig it up myself, or do I just leave it to decide to surface again on its own?

I have heard of pet rocks, but this is getting ridiculous!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't dig it up, especially when you can see it's alive. Is this a sling or juvenile? Many slings/juvies will bury themselves during premolt so that they can have some privacy and feel secure. It will come out when it is ready. Digging one up serves little purpose but to stress the animal. You won't have a pet hole...he'll come out eventually. ;)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't dig it up, especially when you can see it's alive. Is this a sling or juvenile? Many slings/juvies will bury themselves during premolt so that they can have some privacy and feel secure. It will come out when it is ready. Digging one up serves little purpose but to stress the animal. You won't have a pet hole...he'll come out eventually. ;)
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a ca. 1.5cm B. Boehmei sling, which has been inside its cave for about a month now. It's not coming out for food and the tunnel shaft is full of substrate. It seems lively enough (luckily the cave is where I can see it), moving around. Could this still be premolt? It won't starve itself, will it?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a ca. 1.5cm B. Boehmei sling, which has been inside its cave for about a month now. It's not coming out for food and the tunnel shaft is full of substrate. It seems lively enough (luckily the cave is where I can see it), moving around. Could this still be premolt? It won't starve itself, will it?

It definitely could. And no...it won't starve itself. I've had many species exhibit this behavior as slings, and in all cases, the T has eventually emerged sporting a new suit. I had a L. parahybana sling bury itself for over two months and an M. balfouri juvenile that disappeared for close to four months. They know what they're doing, and you have to figure that, in the wild, closing off the den keeps them from being bothered or attacked while molting. :)

I've grown to like when species do this, as I immediately know not to offer food for a bit until the den entrance has been reopened.

MichK

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I resisted the urge to dig it out and this morning saw evidence that indicates it is ready to come out of hiding on its own. I saw that it had re-opened the entrance to its cave. Hopefully I will spot my hermit T soon!

Latest posts