• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T feeding thread

timc

3 Year Member
Just finished feeding time! The first for the G. pulchripes and A. diversipes since their molts last week and boy were they hungry! The diversipes got the cricket before it even hit the web. I also got to see my B. albopilosum out of her hole completely for the first time in a while so that was a treat. E. cyanognathus, who is usually an eating machine didn't leave her burrow so I'm thinking she may be in premolt, or maybe just fat. Omitted were my MM Avic avic, who has sadly become completely disinterested in eating, as well as A. sp. Peru purple and B. emilia due to premolt. Otherwise, everyone else did the happy dance!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just finished feeding time! The first for the G. pulchripes and A. diversipes since their molts last week and boy were they hungry! The diversipes got the cricket before it even hit the web. I also got to see my B. albopilosum out of her hole completely for the first time in a while so that was a treat. E. cyanognathus, who is usually an eating machine didn't leave her burrow so I'm thinking she may be in premolt, or maybe just fat. Omitted were my MM Avic avic, who has sadly become completely disinterested in eating, as well as A. sp. Peru purple and B. emilia due to premolt. Otherwise, everyone else did the happy dance!
Nice!!

I did water dishes last night. Found my B. Vagans trapped in what was left of his tunnel after it collapsed on him. It's one of the mixtures of just peat moss and coco fiber i tested and i'm not happy with. It dries way to quick and then falls apart. So Redrum got a rehousing last night, I also took out half of his substrate to test if he wouldn't burrow and be hidden all the time if he couldn't burrow as deep ;) also found he was in premolt when i rehoused him, so in hindsight i probably should have waited, but then again there was no way he could molt in the remains of his tunnel so maybe it was a good thing i moved him.

And to keep this a feeding thread :) my B. sabulosum "Roj" won the treat of the day. I had a small lateralis, maybe 1/2" long, escape on me Saturday during feeding. Caught him this morning crawling up my leg. Not a fun way to wake up, he was getting really close to the family jewels. Roj was the only one out in the open when i checked their enclosures so he got the snack :) not sure if he does the happy dance, he always grabs them in the middle and bends them in half draggin them into his burrow.

timc

3 Year Member
Ew lol I always feel bad when they bend their prey in half or bite the head or something. Just seems like an awful way to go.

Telson

3 Year Member
Ew lol I always feel bad when they bend their prey in half or bite the head or something. Just seems like an awful way to go.
Its brutal, but quicker..my sp green usually folds them up but i gave her a large dubia a few nights ago, and she peirced through its back, stood on tiptoes to keep its legs off the ground, and the damn thing was still moving three hours later, being liquified and eaten alive..kinda felt bad for it, so i carefully reached in and snipped its head off with scissors. I should never have looked at roaches as pets..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its brutal, but quicker..my sp green usually folds them up but i gave her a large dubia a few nights ago, and she peirced through its back, stood on tiptoes to keep its legs off the ground, and the damn thing was still moving three hours later, being liquified and eaten alive..kinda felt bad for it, so i carefully reached in and snipped its head off with scissors. I should never have looked at roaches as pets..
Guess I got it easy. I can't see them as pets, not even hissers. They're all feeders to me. It's awesome I finally had a successful hatching of my lats but they're still just food.

timc

3 Year Member
I know what you mean. About 8 years ago my ex who got me into taranulas fed a pinky mouse to her (sold as) rosea and it screamed. Ew dude. Never again. It was just too gnarly. That was when I decided no culture for me. Anything that I can attach to I can't feed. There's times I only watch my spiders catch their food then I'm done. I just feel bad for the prey. I know it's natural but nature can be too brutal sometimes.

Telson

3 Year Member
Yeah..I could never feed them mice. Ive blocked out dubia and lats, but id be traumatized if they got one of my hissers..roaches are very gentle, social animals for the most part, and many of them are really cool looking. I get a kick out of watching my pet species interact. The Red Goblins especially. Arboreal roaches, and very laid back if you move slowly. Theyll crawl right into your hand, they seem very curious.

timc

3 Year Member
I just went outside to smoke a cigarette and the cat that's been living outside left a mouse on our doorstep. I should never tell that story again. Apparently it's bad luck for mice when I think about that spider.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Fed the LP the last dubia I had last night. That makes 3 medium sized crickets and the dubia this week. She pounces on every one like she hasn't eaten in a month :)
B. emilia has closed off the hide so no crickets for him.

timc

3 Year Member
Had a couple crickets saved from this week's feeding since my B. emilia wasn't hardened from her molt yet. She got them today, and she pounced with no reservations. At 3/4" she's a little monster. I ended up with one extra cricket so that went to my B. albopilosum, who was more than happy for an extra cricket this week.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding night last night. Didn't get any pics though, all the roaches were either snagged to fast to get a pic or they ran into the hide/burrow so i couldn't get a pic. I did find 5 molts though :) Guess i'll have to get a mount for my cell phone and record a feeding vid.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
fed on sunday, recorded my very first super noob feeding vid ;)

Tried to record more feedings last night by my phone was being stupid, all videos were unsuported formats. Working on recovering those and the pics I took of the molts also.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
after that horrible attempt at a feeding video i think this one went much better ;) recorded this friday night for refence on the molt in the vid.

My son didn't want his T's in the video, so hopefully when the camera tripod arrives tomorrow we can do another video with his.