• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T feeding thread

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have a molting thread why not a feeding thread? It's the highlight of my week watching Ts eat and knowing they're doing well.

Tonight was a great feeding. All but 2 ate, so I had the enjoyment of feeding my 23 others.

Moe (B. albo) and Thug (B. albiceps) are buried away in premolt and the only 2 that didn't eat.

Bling (G. pulchripes) removed the cork on her burrow today and scarfed down a lateralis.

Colt (L. itabunae) also popped the cork but was hidden away. I put a squished head roach by the opening and it was gone by the time I finished feeding the rest. 2nd prekilled food I've seen eaten.

Koby (B. boehmei) attacked the brush when I was sweeping the substrate or if his water dish. Then pounced in the roach when fed.

timc

3 Year Member
I love this idea for a thread...however my feeding day isn't for a couple days but I want to share an old story.

Just to change things up one day I bought meal worms instead of crickets. I dropped one in my GBB's enclosure and she didn't pounce as usual. Thinking she wasn't hungry I grabbed my tongs and went in trying to grab the worm before it started to dig itself down (thank god GBBs web so profusely) but she was not having that. She actually went under the tongs as if to push them up, twice! I decided to let her do her thing, finding her spider curiosity to be quite interesting. She put one front foot on it and let it start digging, then waited until it almost disappeared to decide "Hey, this thing might be food" and she sucked it up out of the ground. I really found it to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen a spider do. However, the next time she got a worm it was game over in a hurry.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love this idea for a thread...however my feeding day isn't for a couple days but I want to share an old story.

Just to change things up one day I bought meal worms instead of crickets. I dropped one in my GBB's enclosure and she didn't pounce as usual. Thinking she wasn't hungry I grabbed my tongs and went in trying to grab the worm before it started to dig itself down (thank god GBBs web so profusely) but she was not having that. She actually went under the tongs as if to push them up, twice! I decided to let her do her thing, finding her spider curiosity to be quite interesting. She put one front foot on it and let it start digging, then waited until it almost disappeared to decide "Hey, this thing might be food" and she sucked it up out of the ground. I really found it to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen a spider do. However, the next time she got a worm it was game over in a hurry.
I've noticed that with my Ts also. You give them a different food source than they're used to and they have to check it out for a bit. I recently started mixing in dubia roaches with the lats and every time i drop a dubia in after they've eaten a lat previous they do the 1 foot on the back pose then wait for it to move and remember it's food.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
This is a good idea i think, a feeding thread would be an interesting read. Ive always fed my Ts with crickets, recently i mixed it up and got mealworms for the the bigger ones (i kept my smaller slings on pin head crickets). My female b.smithi absolutly loves them. My AF p.regalis does aswel. My t.stirmi will not touch them, its usually an aggressive eater, sometimes taking down 3 or 4 large crickets at a time, but wont even entertain a mealworm lol.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Had a normal feeding of our fresh moulted b smithi. Their abdomen are always so small after a moult.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am going to do my feedings for all of my tarantulas today, i already know what is going to happen, my largest B. Albopilosum, A. Geniculata, both of my B. Sabulosums, and my A. Metalica are going to eat and the rest will refuse.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am going to do my feedings for all of my tarantulas today, i already know what is going to happen, my largest B. Albopilosum, A. Geniculata, both of my B. Sabulosums, and my A. Metalica are going to eat and the rest will refuse.
They train us so well..:/

timc

3 Year Member
Today the slings and hapalopus sp. large got their 4th of July feast! My B. albopilosum is still buried from her molt last week so hopefully the cricket's head isn't too crushed and there's enough twitching left to draw her out.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Today the slings and hapalopus sp. large got their 4th of July feast! My B. albopilosum is still buried from her molt last week so hopefully the cricket's head isn't too crushed and there's enough twitching left to draw her out.
My L. itabunae is the same way. I saw her when i got her and put her in the enclosure, she's been hidden in a burrow since. She recently uncovered the entrance and i haven't seen a molt pushed out yet so i'm guessing she was just burrowing around making her home. She's eating though, i crush the head of a roach and put it at the entrance, I've seen her pull it in once, but usually it sits there a few minutes twitching and then disapears when i look away, like she's sitting there watching me like a typical girl "you can't watch me eat, look away" :p

syzygy

3 Year Member
Today is feeding day for my littlest ones. I've really been struggling recently to find small enough crickets and my LPS is finally getting pinheads in today. I might get some mealworms too. I stopped getting them after realizing they immediately dug down, but maybe crushing their head or cutting them in half will prevent that.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Today is feeding day for my littlest ones. I've really been struggling recently to find small enough crickets and my LPS is finally getting pinheads in today. I might get some mealworms too. I stopped getting them after realizing they immediately dug down, but maybe crushing their head or cutting them in half will prevent that.
Either works. crushing hte head makes them squirm a bit, they'll squirm more if you cut them in half though. the few times i've used them i cut them to size of the abdomen of the T i was feeding.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Tried feeding mine today. A. avic couldn't be bothered but my recently molted B. albo took two mealworms at once [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Just fed mine :) I got kinda small crickets today so I dropped 2 in with the LP. He pounced on one right away and went in his hide. The second cricket got too close to the opening and whack #2 :D My Emilia is getting ready for molting I think so ignored the cricket when I dropped it in but was sitting next to the glass with it in his fangs when I checked again. Reminds me of a puppy sitting there saying look what I found :p

timc

3 Year Member
Today was feeding day for 4 of the big 'uns, the first for the OBT and rufilata since their molts last week. The other two were the LP and GBB who never disappoint. And I was rewarded with 4 happy dances! :D

syzygy

3 Year Member
Successful feedings here as well! My LPS had "pinhead plus" crickets in stock. I don't know if this is an officially recognized cricket size or something they just made up, but its essentially pinheads that are more in the 1/8" to 3/16" range instead of the really really tiny ones. They were perfect for my 1/2" B.klassi's and my 3/8" E.Campestratus.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Successful feedings here as well! My LPS had "pinhead plus" crickets in stock. I don't know if this is an officially recognized cricket size or something they just made up, but its essentially pinheads that are more in the 1/8" to 3/16" range instead of the really really tiny ones. They were perfect for my 1/2" B.klassi's and my 3/8" E.Campestratus.
marketing scheme ;) they call them 2nd stage pinheads here at my lps for that size, then small is the next size, then they just toss the rest into medium, and large for the adults.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Just fed my babies! I can't believe how big Tella the B. albo is getting. Pretty sure Buttercup the A. avic is in pre-moult. (S)he seems to not move at all and just lays in his/her web hammock, even during the night time [emoji2]

01edd11849501c4724086ac42263dccc.jpg

3fc68864d6ae9dab21af142be22ceb14.jpg

I can't believe how much (s)he has webbed!

1ad6c48abf61d5982cae9f9a2ae634a8.jpg

90a8be08815585a309c2aa3123266037.jpg

I think I had read before that B. albo's, at around 1 1/2 inches will start undoing their burrows and spend more time out in the open, which I'm pretty sure Tella is in the process of! (S)he has turned demolition up to 100! The substrate in the enclosure is being moved around like mad and even one of the two leaves was moved [emoji38]. Water dish was brought down a level and flipped over, I love these little bulldozers

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Scooter, my B. smithi came out for feeding this weekend, got the bands on this legs, hopefully next molt or 2 he'll start showing color.
20160709_220754[1].jpg

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Hmm fed my N. Chromatus last night...and she did it again. Why do so many T's think their water dish is a good place to drop their bolus.... caught her in the act!! BAD VIVIAN!! now I have to clean your dish. ..AGAIN
Camera HDR Studio - 1468130611071.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
she's helping you keep it clean. Have you tried moving the dish? might be she's wanting in that corner like my B. boehmei. He moved the fake leaves from that corner for us so he could drop his boluses there.

Latest posts