• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sucking stomach

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Everyone gets excited to have their spider finally molt and examine it for its sex. Theres one other thing you should be looking for and it's super easy to spot...the sucking stomach.
I recently had a already sexed juvenile Tliltocatl Sabulosum molt so I just tossed her molt in the trash. A few weeks later I noticed she was looking very thin. Upon inspection of her burrow I found dead whole carcasses. I tossed her a roach and watched her. She nailed it and began stuffing it in her mouth. The next day I found her in her water dish and the roach was uneaten. I tried everything to get her to eat...even blended up roaches and superworms into soup. She always tried to eat but it nothing would work. I was constantly retrieving her out of her water dish. She eventually passed away...dehydration/drowning. (Photo of her trying to eat smashed superworms)
received_2521692408100218.jpeg

Even if I had seen it before I threw the molt away there was nothing I could have done.
Losing a sucking stomach is basically a death sentence for a tarantula. Chances of them surviving to the next molt is slim to none. There is no cure for it besides another molt. So dont get all stressed out and worried...it does happen but it's not that common.

I thought I would share what you should look for every time you get a molt. No magnification needed...easy to spot everytime. This an example a successful molt of the sucking stomach.
20200128_174405.jpg
20200128_174620.jpg
20200128_175032.jpg
20200128_174743.jpg
20200128_174809.jpg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
@Arachnoclown
Very informative and well presented.I will make sure I check mine when some of them finally molt.I am yet to experience that as started my collection with adult females and who knows when they will molt with me.
You say death sentence.Is it not a better thing to do to spare the loved spider the slow and agonising death if U see things are going for the worse.Is there a humane way to put a spider to sleep if needs be?Are Ts able to force a molt if they are in good nick after not able to shed the stomach?
Regards Konstantin

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Konstantin yes there are many was to euthanize your spider. It has been greatly debated weather or not spiders feel pain. Personally I dont know if they do or not but I would rather hold out to see if the spider can molt out of it. That's just me though, everyone else may have their own feelings on this. Just one other thing to note...my female spider I posted had lots of life to her. She never just sat around in a death curl or anything like that. She has still very active. Eventually she drowned herself in her water dish...suicide??? Maybe that was the best way for her to go? :confused:

DOS1392

Just a quick question as im after a bit more info on this, do they need that sucking stomach throughout their whole life? Or just until adulthood?

Thabks

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Just a quick question as im after a bit more info on this, do they need that sucking stomach throughout their whole life? Or just until adulthood?

Thabks

Their whole lives as they moult the lining of their stomachs and oesophagus . Crazy isn't it. So though rare this is a problem that can hit a moulting t at any age

DOS1392

So just for refrence can someone show a normal molt without one so i can see them side by side and know what to keep an eye out for? :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So just for refrence can someone show a normal molt without one so i can see them side by side and know what to keep an eye out for? :)
Well someone will have to have a spider that didnt pass its sucking stomach. Like I previously mentioned it's rare but does occur.
Imagine this...everything that is circled in red isn't there. That's what you are looking for. ;)
20200128_175032.jpg

Latest posts