• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something NOT to do?

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
So I was trying to find a good video of someone handling a Nhandu Chromatus to show a friend how big my little Vivian will get and came across this video. Now I'm pretty new to having a T and I have handled a few with friends who know what they are doing and actually hope Vivian will be ok with being handled once in a while. I understand the risks and have a strong respect for these very large and amazing spiders. I'd be more worried about hurting my T than being bitten myself. But....something about this video screams to me this is very wrong. If a T is showing its threat posture, making quick sprints away and such those are clear signs of being stressed and completely uncomfortable with the situation. And less defensive T's bite as a very last resort right? I mean is it were an OBT for instance or probably any Old World Trade that person would have beven bitten 100 times doing such a thing.

Am I wrong in feeling this way? I know spiders do not "get used" to their owners and do not understand nor need physical touch and such. To me this is like smacking around a large docile dog and thinking it's ok cause it only bared it's teeth but didn't bite. Have you guys seen this video before? I just want to understando more why this person was not bitten numerous times! Anyway sorry here is the Video let me know why you guys think and such.

Also please I know this can be a bit of a hot subject in the community. Not that I feel it is necessary to say here as these forums have shown just how welcoming and fun you all are, I want honest opinions of what you guys and gals think and feel about this. I don't want to see a bunch of arguing or calling anyone names and such. Again not that I feel you guys would but I figure I should at least say something with such a subject like this. I hope this doesn't make me sound preachy or rude, I'm not trying to be haha. ^.^;

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd not seen it before but I totally agree with you, that idiot deserves a few bites and so do many others that find it clever to aggravate their Ts just to post on YouTube.

LittleT

3 Year Member
Another video on Youtube of someone doing something similar with an OBT, they didn't get bitten...
I don't advocate handling any Tarantula or provoking them.

In my experience so far once a T is outside of their enclosure they are less defensive and much more likely to bolt for the 'safety' of a dark hide but then again I don't own any notoriously defensive NW or OW Ts.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Okay, here's the thing. I want to be able to handle, at least, one of my group. I really do. I know it is completely selfish, and I am a huge advocate against handling any of them, but I really wish there was someone in my group who I feel comfortable enough with to handle on a rare occasion. Maybe someone will grow up to let me? So, I am only 95% against it, but not 100%.
The most important lesson to be had from both of those videos is that tarantulas are truly not aggressive creatures. If they were aggressive - that guy in the first video would have so many holes in his hands that you could strain pasta through them. And I am not even going to comment on the second video because you have asked that people be civil and I would not be.
Both of those people are not only idiots - they're irresponsible. They have absolutely no respect for the awesome creatures in their care and should not have them. I feel far more sorry for the two tarantulas than I do for the people... who both deserve to be bitten.
I love watching videos on YouTube of tarantulas. They taught me how to pinch grab Evelyn when I needed to check her for parasites (only the second time I handled her in 17 years), they let me see what I can expect from certain tarantulas - temperament wise - so I am prepared, and they show me some awesome species that I will never get a chance to see otherwise. But they also show me how stupid people can be and how detrimental some people are to the hobby. They are filled with people trying to get their fifteen minutes of fame on social media by doing nothing but idiotic stunts that do more damage than not.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Ohhhhhkay.... the video with the OBT blew my freaking mind....I'd really not have felt sorry for her had she been bitten right in the face.... now I agree with Vanessa here in that I'd love a T I'd feel comfortable with handling once in a great while. Maybe to show to a friend and educate them about T's and such. In a controlled environment where me and the T feel comfortable. Any indication of stress or defensive behaviour I'd put them away and let them relax. I'm not against handling even an OBT to be honest but....there has to be respect and common sense....blowing on a Tarantula?! That's just cruel!!! Thank you for the share of that second video.... as a newcomer to the hobby myself I am happy to see so many good videos of how where when and why but it's enlightening to see stuff like this in an environment and surrounded by people who can put it perspective for me and hopefully other newcomers that this is definitely NOT something that should be done.... (though if you venture into the comments of those videos they sparked a huge amount of hate comments haha) thanks again you guys for keeping this mostly friendly I just want it kept friendly between us here. The people in the video are obviously not very intelligent and I don't mind anything said about them I'm definitely of the same mind for sure.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know spiders do not "get used" to their owners
I'd argue that point. We have 2 different T's that will allow my son or my son and myself to hold them, we've been handling them since they were tiny slings 1/2-3/4" dls. One is my son's GBB, and the other is his B. boehmei. I can hold the boehmei and he often will crawl out during maintenance to sit on the back of your wrist or forearm.

I can't handle the GBB, she turns into a nasty schizoid when i get near. But she's perfectly calm to let my son handle her. Because of this i don't agree with the thought that spiders can't get to "know" you or get used to you. Why else would the GBB behave like this?

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
That is a very good point kormath. And as new as this hobby is I guess I shouldn't make such statements like that. Who knows what we still haven't discovered about our arachnids. That's kinda cool about the GBB (MINE WILL BE HERE WEDNESDAY WOOOOO!). I still don't feel I should be handling my N. Chromatus all that much right now at least. I don't really have a safe place to do so. I have dark thick carpet I could lose her on and there are way too many things for her to sneak under in my kitchen lol I'd feel better handling them in a place I can stay low to the ground and be able to cup them if needed if they bolted. I also know if I'm bit I'm going to jerk my hand which in turn may hurt the T soooo I'll just get a little more comfortable with them myself in gaining better knowledge and let them settle in and get used to my home as their home.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
spider will be spiders....they bite. If that dumb woman in the second vid gets bit by that particular spider i doubt she does it again....OBT bite suck donkey genitalia!

Thistles

3 Year Member
I admit to being morbidly curious just how much it hurts..not that curious though..
Me too! There was a pioneering scientist who came up with a pain scale for different bites and stings by soliciting bites from a variety of different critters. I admire his sacrifice for science and also have a bit of curiosity about it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There seems to be a huge range of individual responses to venom. I'm not bothered by urticating hairs, or stings from my local scorpions, or allergic to roaches or bees, or any food or meds. Does that mean my system would handle a bite from an obt better than most? Or would I scream like a little girl and beg someone to kill me? Lmao. Only one way to find out...

Nope. :D

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I truly believe Ts get "used" to being handled. A couple of mine that I handle literally run to the side of the enclosure and climb onto my hand when I touch their butts, and once in hand either lay and chill or like to continuously walk my hands like their exploring.
Now, onto the agitating these people were doing. I feel these Ts are adults that, after being taken out of their enclosures, tend to calm down a lot, since they're not defending their homes. Also, these "keepers" probably have been doing these things to these same Ts for a long time, and the Ts just sadly deal with it.
It's the first time I think I was hoping an OBT bit someone in the face.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I truly believe Ts get "used" to being handled. A couple of mine that I handle literally run to the side of the enclosure and climb onto my hand when I touch their butts, and once in hand either lay and chill or like to continuously walk my hands like their exploring.
Now, onto the agitating these people were doing. I feel these Ts are adults that, after being taken out of their enclosures, tend to calm down a lot, since they're not defending their homes. Also, these "keepers" probably have been doing these things to these same Ts for a long time, and the Ts just sadly deal with it.
It's the first time I think I was hoping an OBT bit someone in the face.
That last line made me chuckle:) Can you imagine? Bitten in the face by an obt? I'd pay to see that, and get a picture of said face about 20 min after the bite...lol. I'd use it as my avatar..

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Wonder if there's a market for such stupidity... could you imagine a youtube channel where whoever was the star just took bites from venomous critters just for people to watch it. With humanities morbid curiosity, you would probably make good money...or be a solid contender for darwinism award of the year [emoji14]

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Wonder if there's a market for such stupidity... could you imagine a youtube channel where whoever was the star just took bites from venomous critters just for people to watch it. With humanities morbid curiosity, you would probably make good money...or be a solid contender for darwinism award of the year [emoji14]

Not sure if a whole channel exists, but at least one video does. You had to know that some idiot was going to do it.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I can appreciate and respect those people who, for real scientific purposes and not entertainment, have endured being bitten, stung, haired and all manner of unpleasant things, in order for us to know the affects. All I can think of is the Bullet Ant. I mean, seriously people!
I wouldn't be signing up for that task.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
clip_image002.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can appreciate and respect those people who, for real scientific purposes and not entertainment, have endured being bitten, stung, haired and all manner of unpleasant things, in order for us to know the affects. All I can think of is the Bullet Ant. I mean, seriously people!
I wouldn't be signing up for that task.
You KNOW that has to be painful, they named it after a bullet...:D

Latest posts