• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So Much Webbing

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
I admit that all this webbing is pretty cool (see pictures). My avic metallica is making a big cocoon type structure in his 10 gallon tank. He seems to be making the opening of this cocoon (at the top) smaller and smaller. He's not going to completely close it up is he? He can still fit though the hole at the top right now.

Also, I wonder how he will hunt for crickets. Will he stay in there and wait for crickets to fall in, or will he leave it to hunt?

2014-11-01 12.41.59.jpg 2014-11-01 12.42.07.jpg 2014-11-01 12.42.20.jpg 2014-11-01 12.42.54.jpg

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I admit that all this webbing is pretty cool (see pictures). My avic metallica is making a big cocoon type structure in his 10 gallon tank. He seems to be making the opening of this cocoon (at the top) smaller and smaller. He's not going to completely close it up is he? He can still fit though the hole at the top right now.

Also, I wonder how he will hunt for crickets. Will he stay in there and wait for crickets to fall in, or will he leave it to hunt?

View attachment 7240 View attachment 7243 View attachment 7241 View attachment 7242

Hello

With all my Avicularia I have,they have spun even worse than that. They will break down and expand their hide do not worry,I have observed this many times. What I sometimes do is,I either drop the prey close or even into the entrance it works perfectly. If very hungry,say after a molt they will leave their hide and hunt. So either way,the T will eat. They will go so far before a molt,they would actually close up the entrance this is a way so nothing might slip through while they are in molt or in the stage just after molt where they are extremely delicate.

Last edited:

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
They will go so far before a molt,they would actually close up the entrance this is a way so nothing might slip through while they are in molt or in the stage just after molt where they are extremely delicate.

So, if he does start to close up this cocoon (it looked like he was starting to do so), should I not throw some crickets into the tank? I have not put some in for a little while. He might be hungry, but maybe this is a sign that he might be getting ready to molt. I've only had him since July. I have not seen him molt yet.

tcrave

3 Year Member
my avics close there web tunnel up in the day time and open them up close to night before they go hunt

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As soon as I put my A. Versi into its tank it started building a web tunnel. This is the end result. It's still open at the top and the spider usually comes to the top and sits there. At the moment it's sitting at the bottom as I had to put the heat mats on for a little while, because the outside temperature had dropped over night and we hadn't programmed our heating yet.
IMG_5100_zps3b9480ff.jpg

IMG_5101_zps76ec1219.jpg