• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So excited

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I have noticed my brachypelma albopilosum has been webing in one corner today manicly. Just come down from bathing the kids to find it upside down in the classic moult position. I'm so excited I have only had a sling moult and that was a surprise to wake up to one morning it did none of the classic signs.
It's a shame I have to go out tonight I want to sit in the dark and watch how it goes.
:T:

timc

3 Year Member
I love watching them molt. During the summer my OBT started molting in the 2nd inning of a phillies game and I spent the next 4 innings watching a pitch then the spider, then a pitch, then the spider. By the 7th I had a fire colored spider but the fightins were losing (rare). I hope you have as much fun with your new big guy/gal as I did!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Greg Rice on youtube has some very cool time lapse videos of molting spiders...excellent videos, including a few who molted upright. I highly recommend them.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good news. It made it and it looks lovely and black. Going to try getting the moult out later. I am going to try sexing it myself I will try putting pics up to get other people's opinions.
So happy it all went well :) looking forward to the pictures, don't think I'll ever quite get that part of things.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I have just managed to get a proper look at my curly hair that moulted Wednesday I am sure it's a mature mail it has hooks on its front legs that point forwards near the first joint and it's pedipulps are enlarged. Now not sure what to do with him, from what I have read it's cruel to not let them find a mate

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know if it's cruel, but if he had his ultimate molt he won't live for that much longer and will very likely spend the remainder of his life looking for a mate. It shouldn't be too hard for you to find someone who would take him on a breeding loan. I think, Curly Hairs are a very popular species.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do with him.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I don't know if it's cruel, but if he had his ultimate molt he won't live for that much longer and will very likely spend the remainder of his life looking for a mate. It shouldn't be too hard for you to find someone who would take him on a breeding loan. I think, Curly Hairs are a very popular species.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do with him.
Thank you fuzzball79 I am new to the hobby. How does a breeding loan work?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm relatively new myself, but I think you could place and advert for it. You'd probably have to send your spider, unless the owner of the female lives near you and could pick him up. If everything goes well and he survives the "date" you should actually get him back, too. Maybe start a thread on it to ask the more experienced keepers? It would be interested for those of us who will be in your situation, too, one day (I think I have a male B. Boehmei juvenile).

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I'm relatively new myself, but I think you could place and advert for it. You'd probably have to send your spider, unless the owner of the female lives near you and could pick him up. If everything goes well and he survives the "date" you should actually get him back, too. Maybe start a thread on it to ask the more experienced keepers? It would be interested for those of us who will be in your situation, too, one day (I think I have a male B. Boehmei juvenile).
Cheers I will have a look about. My other option is to get a female and try breeding myself not sure what the wife will think of that though

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers I will have a look about. My other option is to get a female and try breeding myself not sure what the wife will think of that though
Get a female :) Or loan him out if you're not ready to breed, but I suggest you breed him yourself. No better time than the present to jump in with both feet man. A mature female curly hair shouldn't be that expensive. And there's a whole lot of videos, posts, and guides on breeding. You should search it and read up on it, then decide :) Imagine a few hundred baby curlys..that would be heaven to me..even the work of separating and packing most of them for shipment is interesting and fun. I've only ever bred my porteri, and I'm trying to breed my Lp right now, so I'm not exactly an expert on it, but it is an experience most people in the hobby would be thrilled with if they decided to get into it, I promise you :) Just my two cents.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
Get a female :) Or loan him out if you're not ready to breed, but I suggest you breed him yourself. No better time than the present to jump in with both feet man. A mature female curly hair shouldn't be that expensive. And there's a whole lot of videos, posts, and guides on breeding. You should search it and read up on it, then decide :) Imagine a few hundred baby curlys..that would be heaven to me..even the work of separating and packing most of them for shipment is interesting and fun. I've only ever bred my porteri, and I'm trying to breed my Lp right now, so I'm not exactly an expert on it, but it is an experience most people in the hobby would be thrilled with if they decided to get into it, I promise you :) Just my two cents.
Thank you. My only issue is trying to persuade my nearest and dearest it's a good idea

Latest posts