• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Serious questions from an arachnophobe- about species, enclosures etc.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Leave one feeder in overnight, if not eaten within 24 hours, remove

Shipping isn't usually a big issue, they acclimate within an hour or two of arriving and being rehoused. They are hardier than you may think.

When they are hungry they will eat, but always make sure they have access to clean water. That is the #1 most important thing.

Leave one feeder in overnight, if not eaten within 24 hours, remove

Shipping isn't usually a big issue, they acclimate within an hour or two of arriving and being rehoused. They are hardier than you may think.

When they are hungry they will eat, but always make sure they have access to clean water. That is the #1 most important thing.

I tried again a moment ago, because I figured I would do as you suggested. My plan was to leave a dubia roach (small male with the head crushed) in with her for 24 hours, hoping she would eat when left alone.

I did not have any expectations other than dumping the roach in and then walk away. Imagine my surprise, when she immediately pounced on the roach and started eating.

I am so happy My little lady is eating in peace and I have managed to feed a tarantula! So cool! Now I will leave her be for a while!

Ok, I thought they might be stressed from being shipped, but I am happy to hear they tend to be ok shortly after being unpacked. Glad to her tarantulas are different, since moving homes can be very stressful for some animals, such as reptiles etc.

She has now and will always have, a full water bowl with clean water, in her enclosure.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Oops! I forgot the pictures:T:

IMG_7413 (2).JPG
IMG_7415 (2).JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
On a different note:

Until recently, I have basically only thought about getting sexed females and slightly bigger specimens…but after listening to a podcast; where Tom Moran said something about how slings resemble “normal spiders” (more than the larger tarantulas do). I started thinking and I have come to a conclusion that I believe is inevitable.

It feels like the only natural “second step” and that is that I will have to get at least one or two slings in the future. Forcing myself to interact and care for a sling or two will probably help a lot in going forward. I believe I would be better “prepared” to deal with the common spiders that might enter my house, that I might see I my garden etc. if I will get some slings.

Normally, I have less of a problem with smaller spiders…but when it comes to tarantulas specifically, it is slightly different. I still have a massive problem with bigger spiders (and I would never want something extremely enormous such as a T. blondi) but I do feel that slings freak me out in a different way…because they are similar in appearance, speed etc. to a “normal spider”. To me the most terrifying spiders are the true spiders (? I think they are called that).

Specifically, I absolutely hate the look of the common house spider (one of the biggest spiders found in Sweden) and spiders resembling black widows (and this is despite the fact that there are no dangerous spiders here).

They are just so gross…I am getting more and more used to tarantulas now, but the house spider…we are by no means anywhere near feeling better about those yet. I believe a sling or two will be able to help with this.

I have come to the conclusion that some of my favorite species is less suitable to buy as slings and I will try to find these as somewhat bigger specimens. Specifically, I am thinking of the particularly slow growing species (such as B. albiceps, A. chalcodes and so on).

When I come to the point that I feel ready to take on a sling or two:

Which species are good species to start with as slings and what species would you recommend? Feel free to suggest species that I do not currently have on my list as well.

I am obviously still looking for docile, nice and beginner friendly species but since getting slings will be further into the future; I do believe that it would be ok with slightly faster species (still looking for fairly slow-moving species though).

I do realize that I will not be able to get a sling that have been sexed (right?), but despite this I feel like this is the right move to make for me. Partly because it will help with my arachnophobia as stated above, but also because the more I read and learn, the more I realize that it would be a very valuable lesson to raise a tarantula from sling to adulthood.

So far, I am considering getting a GBB as a sling (not at the moment of course) would this be a wise or a foolish choice? I have also thought about getting a C. elegans as a sling (yes, I realize that it would be insanely small…but maybe a slightly larger sling?), good or bad idea? Any other species that might be worth looking into, specifically to get as slings?

/SwedishArachnophobe84

My girlfriend is moving in from Texas to my home in a few days.

If she expresses interests in tarantulas, I've decided to convince her to get a GBB.

My very first T was C versicolor FYI.
C versicolor Charles cool cage edited.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm surprised you served white wine to your tarantula in a champagne flute... I hope the spider did not take offence at this most heinous faux pas

Nope, avics and former avics sometimes won't go to ground to drink. This can cause dangerous dehydration. An elevated water dish prevents this from becoming a problem. In nature, they probably drink from puddles on trees in the leaves or something similar.

There is a method to my madness.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nope, avics and former avics sometimes won't go to ground to drink. This can cause dangerous dehydration. An elevated water dish prevents this from becoming a problem. In nature, they probably drink from puddles on trees in the leaves or something similar.

There is a method to my madness.
I know sir, I was teasing you about the champagne flute in the enclosure

My little beautiful girl has had one more roach since I got her and yesterday, I offered her a mealworm but she showed no interest. She has a very big “booty” and it is starting to look slightly darker so I am suspecting that she might be in premolt already. She has had a very healthy appetite, so I am not worried that she will starve…more worried about her “but” exploding…it looks huge today. Lol.

She “freaked” slightly (when I put the mealworm in) and moved away faster than she has ever moved before…still slow though…and I did not even react! Yeah! Feeling like a winner! I am getting less and less terrified of her (and weirdly less disgusted by the dubia roaches too…despite having them for years before getting Shelob).

Less disgusted by the roaches…but yesterday evening was still no fun at all. I had dropped a roach (male) during feeding of my leopard gecko a few days to a week, prior to the “incident” yesterday. I was aware he was around, but did not expect him to “pop-up” where and how he did. The surprise appearance freaked me out, but I was able to quickly recover and get him back into the roach bin.

What happened was, I was on my way out to do some grocery shopping and was going to put on a sweater, but before I could put it on, I had to turn it back, because it was inside out. I saw something black inside, but figured it was just a tag or something. I did not expect it to be moving! The feeling of panic occurred and I threw the sweater on the floor, before realizing it was the missing male dubia roach. That sweater was hanging on a hook across the room from where I dropped him. I have no idea how he managed to get from point A to point B, without me or the dogs noticing; but there he was in my freaking sweater!

I even managed to “catch cup” a tiny jumping spider (a few days ago) that had made its way into my apartment! It got out a few times before I managed to really catch it…and I did not freak out! I did not smash it. I am so proud of myself…you know…for not killing it in a state of absolute panic.

I have a new “mantra” that I am trying to implement, to help with my arachnophobia. I am trying to say the following to myself “It is just a small Shelob” when I see a spider. I care for her and she scares me less and less; so, I hope that it will somehow make it into that “reptile brain” of mine and convince my instincts to change. I know (when I am not freaking the f out) that spiders are not dangerous, that they will not murder me and that I do not have to be afraid of them. However, tell that to my instinctual feeling of terror, when my brain checks out. I am hoping that my “mantra” will somehow get through and help change my instincts in the future.

IMG_7431 (2).JPG
IMG_7432 (2).JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

MattB78

Hello!

Please excuse the spelling and grammar etc. English is not my first language; hope you still get the point I’m trying to make and get what I´m asking etc.

Alright…I’m now writing that which I never in a million years thought I would write, but here we are. This is probably a sign that I’m getting completely insane…but oh…well…

In all my life I have been completely terrified of spiders (at least as long as I can remember), arachnophobia in its most severe form. I can tolerate very tiny spiders without panicking but if that spider would end up on me, I still panic. This despite the fact that I can leave them be if they´re in a corner off my room for example (that is if they have made a web). I started working on that acceptance when a small spider decided to make a web between two of my flowerpots (in one of my windows). This spider was actually molting etc. and lived in its web for quite a while…but either it moved/went outside or died. I feed that one on occasion…when a fly ended up inside etc. Very interesting to watch…from a distance...

Sweden does not have any dangerous spiders and not (in comparison to other countries) any really large spiders. Some of the largest spiders here in Sweden are the so called ”house spiders” (smaller/common: Tegenaria domestica and large: Eratigena atrica). One of those (not sure if it was the smaller/common one or the large one…disgusting and big is all I know) once entered my apartment (as an example of the level of my phobia). It ran past me when I was sitting on the floor = somehow, I suddenly were about half a meter to a meter away and standing up, no idea how I got up. I managed to kill it by smashing it with my trashcan that was nearby (yeah, I know the person who loves animals ends up “murdering” an animal…but there is just no other way for me, I just cannot handle doing something else, the feeling of panic is way too severe). After killing the spider, I sat for several HOURS shaking in my entire body due to the anxiety!

Memes that says something like ”Burn down the house” due to not finding a spider…I feel like that is definitely in proportion to the problem…almost.

Because of this crippling feeling of panic/anxiety…(we are talking on a crazy level, when writing about the spider above…I got shivers down my spine just for thinking about it) I would like to reduce or even remove this phobia. Being terrified of having the door or a window open during hot summer days, constantly looking around for ”monsters” with eight legs etc. is no fun. I hate basements and garages and the like. I love summer, the heat and so on…but to me (all my life) summer comes with a backside…which is the increased risk of ending up having a spider inside the apartment or even worse ON you etc. this sadly takes away a great deal of the charm of the summer months. I hate snow, ice and the cold winter…but…there is less risk of encountering spiders…so that is a plus.

Despite all of the above…I´m very fascinated with spiders and have no problem (almost, apart from some shivers down my spine once in a while and being a bit more jumpy afterwards…like if I get a leaf on me or something like such…leaves are scary, ok…hehe…) looking at pictures or documentaries/YouTube-clips of tarantulas and the like.

Sometimes the thought has hit me…this time it´s etched itself (more than usual) on my mind…that is; maybe I should get myself a spider as a pet…and thus forcing myself to take care of it and hopefully become less “panicky” after a while…but I don´t know if it is worth the risk of not being able to sleep ever again, always having to sit and stare at the terrarium making sure it´s not escaping etc. Then again, I already have trouble sleeping…but still…hehe. Would I even dare opening the terrarium…that´s also the question…what if it “bolts” and gets out…having a bit of a panic attack just thinking about that…

I like looking at (yes, I´m weird, I know) ”Dark Den” and others like that on YouTube. I find it very interesting even if I die every time a spider ”bolts”, escapes or showing off a ”threat pose” etc.

I literally felt like **** when I first brought home some dubias (I have lizards, a frog and a turtle), I´m not exactly a fan of that sort of bugs either…but I have calmed down quite a bit. The first time I had dubias at home…I slept with a light literally right in my face, to make it less likely to wake up with a roach in my face. I´m still not a fan and refuse to touch them and doing a thorough clean of their enclosures was less than fun; however, one escaped female found in a box full of papers did not really bother me (I still have no clue as to how she got out).

I don’t know if it would be similar/the same if I got a spider though. I don’t like roaches and that sort of bugs (well…bugs in general) but I don’t have an actual phobia of these creatures…spiders are on a vastly different level of scary to me.

I have after looking through a bunch of YouTube-clips etc. decided that the following species are more interesting to me than others:

• Trinidad Dwarf Tiger Tarantula (Cyriocosmus elegans) – but…they seem rather (very) fast = total panic. I like the heart on their but, a bit different looking.
  • Chilean Flame Tarantula (Eathlus sp. Red) – however it seems like the often climb out of the terrarium and can be pretty fast = total panic.
  • Desert Blonde/Arizona Blonde Tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes) – So freaking enormous…but I do think they look slightly less creepy than for example completely black spiders etc. Often recommended for beginners, although some seem to be a bit angry/like to kick hairs.
  • Mexican red knee (ex. Brachypelma hamorii, former Smithi) – Seems like a good choice for a beginner, nice colors but as with the “Arizona Blonde”…enormous…yikes!

Of the above mentioned species the ”Arizona Blonde” feels like the most interesting species to me, but in that case a “nice/kind” specimen…the thought of an aggressive maniac that also happens to be gigantic…not a very appealing thought.

I have an empty (at the moment) 30x30x30 cm (that is the mini wide, 12x12x12) Exo Terra terrarium but have been thinking about buying some more small Exo Terra terrariums (good for different “small stuff”) for example 20x20x20/30 cm (ex. Nano wide/nano tall, 8x8x8/8x8x12) etc. I have seen a lot of people using different types of plastic boxes etc. But I need it to be totally escape proof! How do you keep your spiders/tarantulas? What is the best enclosure type; a plastic box or a terrarium regarding the ”can under no circumstances be able to get out” point of view? Would any of these sizes work or do you believe it needs to be bigger/smaller? If using one of the Exo Terra terrariums; does anything have to be done about the screen top (like putting Plexiglas there instead) or can you use the regular Exo Terra top as is? Are there any rules regarding the size of the enclosure for spiders?

Are this the worst idea ever…that is the question…but I can’t really get the thought out of my head…we will see how this develops. I have seen some “Youtubers” that have done what I´m contemplation doing and they have been able to “cure” themselves…but I don’t know to what degree they had arachnophobia before getting their first tarantula…

Is there any particular species that you would like to recommend (one that is not “going to bolt/be skittish”)? What size would you recommend for a beginner who does not want a fast spider that’s likely to bolt? Juvenile/adult?

Getting a Sling feels like a smart idea because of the fact that I´m not as terrified of smaller (tiny) spiders but…at the same time it feels like the dumbest idea ever, due to the fact that they seem more prone to be ”skittish/more likely going to bolt” and faster than bigger spiders… also because they seem more sensitive to mistakes in their care, and because you can’t know their sex etc.

How big does it have to be to be able to sex it? Are there any difference regarding “temperament”/behavior due to the spider’s sex (female/male)?

I’m sensitive/allergic to wasps/bees…can this cause a problem with owning a spider? Could this mean that I could react more to the urticating hairs? I don´t even want to think about getting bitten, the thought of a spider that bites…not a pleasant thought…being bitten by an eight legged “monster” is not something I would like to think about…just hell no!

If you have any of the species mentioned above feel free to give me more information/describe your personal experience. As always it´s useful to hear from people who actually have the species in question (regarding any animal one is thinking about possible purchasing) …so please tell me what you think, about your experiences etc. Your contribution will be valued.

Thanks!

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Ps. This was previously posted at a different spider forum, but I figured "the more the merrier". You can never get to much help ds.
Hi,

This is literally me! I spent 38 years of my life scared to death of spiders. However that led to fascination, which I put down to 'Know thy Enemy'!

I then started watching you tube videos and saw how almost predictable they can be. Mainly slow moving, beautiful and gentle. After a while I noticed that I wasn't as scared of a random house spider. So I bought a sling!

I picked up a Nicaraguan Curly Hair from a spider show, after getting very close to big spiders all day, and not running away!
She was slow and gentle when I rehoused her, a teddy bear, exactly as hoped. Plus I didn't panic. Sadly that was it. I was bitten by the bug. (Not the spider, the hobby)!

I now own 5 tarantulas! Love them all. But I can highly recommend the You Tube channel Dave's Little Beasties.

Be calm, be gentle and love your spiders!

Enjoy,
Matt

P.S. I'm still scared of house spiders. Unpredictable little buggers!

Latest posts