• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Serious questions from an arachnophobe- about species, enclosures etc.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ilovebrachys is having a sly dig , I’m more than happy to pick up or touch a tarantula if needed but the other day there was a house spider wondering around and I went and got a catch cup which she found amusing... I agree it’s taught thou , my mums scared of spiders and petrified of snakes so when we got a royal python I was uncomfortable for a while for no reason .
I should have it’s a dig at me not you :)

Ajbeardow

I should have it’s a dig at me not you :)
Hahaha don't worry! We're in the same boat. I would use a catch cup for a house spider too :p

My mum is the same with snakes, but my dad powered me through that one. Couldn't own a nope rope though, my girlfriend would fear for the safety of our rodents. I don't have the heart to tell her that the Ts would eat them too given the chance.

Finally, I could transfer the pictures from my camera to the computer so here we go… and yes, I am that old-fashioned… (I do not own a smartphone; I own something that probably belongs in an antique shop…) ha-ha.

My arachnophobia is SCREAMING…take away half of the substrate and whatever she might climb on (such as the fake plants)!

However, my rational brain is telling me that she should be feeling safe and secure, with the enclosure decorated this way (and of course the deep substrate is good for digging and to prevent nasty falls).

There are two cork bark rounds (one small and one slightly bigger), a half of a coconut and a slanted flat piece of cork bark; all providing different hiding spots. The fake plants provide some extra coverage and then there is a small “stick/branch” as well.

Having said all that, did I overdo it with the substrate…or the hides? I obviously do not want her to feel cramped or have her wander out as soon as I open the lid…so what is your opinion? Does this look ok or is there anything that I should add or remove? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Obviously, she will be provided a water bowl…I just have not been able to decide which one yet (hence the different once in the pictures). I have three options. All slightly different in size and dept. Any suggestions regarding this absolutely ridiculous question (he-he)?

Bild 1.JPG
Bild 2.JPGBild 3.JPGBild 4.JPGBild 5.JPGBild 6.JPGBild 7.JPGBild 8.JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Ajbeardow

Finally, I could transfer the pictures from my camera to the computer so here we go… and yes, I am that old-fashioned… (I do not own a smartphone; I own something that probably belongs in an antique shop…) ha-ha.

My arachnophobia is SCREAMING…take away half of the substrate and whatever she might climb on (such as the fake plants)!

However, my rational brain is telling me that she should be feeling safe and secure, with the enclosure decorated this way (and of course the deep substrate is good for digging and to prevent nasty falls).

There are two cork bark rounds (one small and one slightly bigger), a half of a coconut and a slanted flat piece of cork bark; all providing different hiding spots. The fake plants provide some extra coverage and then there is a small “stick/branch” as well.

Having said all that, did I overdo it with the substrate…or the hides? I obviously do not want her to feel cramped or have her wander out as soon as I open the lid…so what is your opinion? Does this look ok or is there anything that I should add or remove? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Obviously, she will be provided a water bowl…I just have not been able to decide which one yet (hence the different once in the pictures). I have three options. All slightly different in size and dept. Any suggestions regarding this absolutely ridiculous question (he-he)?

View attachment 46451View attachment 46452View attachment 46453View attachment 46454View attachment 46455View attachment 46456View attachment 46457View attachment 46458

/SwedishArachnophobe84
I'd say you've done very well for your first enclosure. Looks very natural and authentic.

I'd personally be tempted to remove one hide, as it just gives prey more places to hide. Should give her a bit more free space to stretch her legs too.

Konstantin

3 Year Member

View attachment 46451View attachment 46452View attachment 46453View attachment 46454View attachment 46455View attachment 46456View attachment 46457View attachment 46458

/SwedishArachnophobe84
Hi
Thats a really nice setup.Dont flap about which bottle cap to use.Use them all.I have a cup full near the enclosures and change rotate them on regulat basis. When the cap needs cleaning just replace it with new one take old one out rinse it with hot water and trow it in the cup to completely dry.That way minimizes the chance of harmful bacteria building up.
Sorry but didn't see what size your spider will be.That enclosure is suitable for a juvenile as slings
may be able to squeeze out trough them slats.
Regards Konstantin

Thank you all for your comments and tips!
I read everything and take everything into consideration, I really appreciate all your help.
Thank you so much!

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Hi
Thats a really nice setup.Dont flap about which bottle cap to use.Use them all.I have a cup full near the enclosures and change rotate them on regulat basis. When the cap needs cleaning just replace it with new one take old one out rinse it with hot water and trow it in the cup to completely dry.That way minimizes the chance of harmful bacteria building up.
Sorry but didn't see what size your spider will be.That enclosure is suitable for a juvenile as slings
may be able to squeeze out trough them slats.
Regards Konstantin

She is about 2.2-2.4 inches (5,5-6 cm) so she is not a sling:)

/SwedishArachnophobe84

SHE IS HOME! :T:

I have basically never been so nervous in my life…but I managed to get her from the box she was shipped in, to her new enclosure without any problems.

She was very slow-moving, thank god…and just walked slowly of the paper and then stopped. She made it very easy for me to get the paper etc. out and she was a very well-behaved lady.

She is smaller than I expected…so I hope she will not be able to “squeeze out”. Maybe my arachnophobia exaggerated her size a bit in my head (although I am pretty sure the measurements stated by the seller is rather accurate and that she is about 2.2-2.4 inches or 5,5-6 cm in DLS).

Anyway, she is very beautiful and I am so happy that she is here and that I have made it so far :)

My gorgeous little lady, Shelob:
IMG_7393 (2).JPG

IMG_7393 (3).JPG
/SwedishArachnophobe84

Great picture of a great tarantula!

Thank you! :)

How fun!
Keep us posted on how she acclimates in your care :T:

Yes, very exciting!

I will definitely keep you posted regarding how she is doing (and on how I am doing with this “scary-beautiful” lady in my care); so far, so good :)

She is not doing much…so she is exactly as I expected, he-he. She has not yet used any of her hides. She has moved slightly throughout the day/night, between sitting in the front corner and in the back corner of her enclosure; all under the protection of a plant.

I could actually sleep a lot better than expected. I Checked on her a few times during the day/night and after doing this; I felt rather convinced she would not get out, so I slept ok (for being me that is…I have trouble sleeping normally so…).

I am very happy that I did this, despite my fears. She is beautiful and I am quite ok with having her here so far. However, the jury is still out, on how I will feel when I am going to have to feed her and change the water etc.

How long do I wait before offering her something to eat (she ate sometime before getting shipped)? I do not want to disturb her more than necessary during her “settling-in-to her new-home-period” …but I do check on her from time to time; just to make sure she is ok and still where she is supposed to be;)

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Mundo exotico

Hello all
[email protected] wife was arachnofobic like you. She wanted to smash all spiders when she saw them entering tje house.
I always loved exotic animals like reptiles, insects, amphibians etc
Since o got my first T Daisy ,aphonopema seemani she started to change her attitude.
Today we have 6Ts and she takes of them when I am working outside Portugal.
Having Ts is amazing to loose the fear of spiders.
Congrats on your attitude

Hello all
[email protected] wife was arachnofobic like you. She wanted to smash all spiders when she saw them entering tje house.
I always loved exotic animals like reptiles, insects, amphibians etc
Since o got my first T Daisy ,aphonopema seemani she started to change her attitude.
Today we have 6Ts and she takes of them when I am working outside Portugal.
Having Ts is amazing to loose the fear of spiders.
Congrats on your attitude

Thank you for your response!

It is always fun to hear about other arachnophobes that have overcome their fears. It gives me hope, that I to will be able to feel better and more at ease near spiders.

Well I am trying:); I have always loved animals and I am really trying to make that love and interest include spiders as well. I hate feeling scared and especially when there is no rational reason for it (hence the attitude).

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Today, I gathered as much courage as I could and offered my little lady some food, for the first time. However, she did not show any interest in eating (I offered both a smaller dubia roach and a mealworm).

I was shaking and was very nervous that she would “bolt out” of her enclosure; but thankfully she only moved a little bit and very slowly, showing that she was not hungry. I am so relived that she (at least so far) is a very calm tarantula; this really helps me during this period of “getting-used-to-my-terrifying-pet” ;)

IMG_7411 (2).JPG

/SwedishArachnophobe84

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Glad to hear you are getting comfortable with your new friend!

Did you crush the heads of both dubia and the mealworm?
Both of these will burrow, dubia will also "play dead" - crushing the heads prevents all of that

Did you remove them if uneaten?

Mundo exotico

Today, I gathered as much courage as I could and offered my little lady some food, for the first time. However, she did not show any interest in eating (I offered both a smaller dubia roach and a mealworm).

I was shaking and was very nervous that she would “bolt out” of her enclosure; but thankfully she only moved a little bit and very slowly, showing that she was not hungry. I am so relived that she (at least so far) is a very calm tarantula; this really helps me during this period of “getting-used-to-my-terrifying-pet” ;)

View attachment 46708
/SwedishArachnophobe84
Your miss T looks gorgeous. You will see that this fear will turn into love or into something good. For example my wife lost fear of spiders and now she doesn t want to smash the house spiders like before. She even lets them be or touches them. With less time than u expect you will change this fear. Congratulations on your brave attitude. Feeding T is a great step. Remove the uneaten prey with tongs slowly and try to feed her in a week or so. ;)

Glad to hear you are getting comfortable with your new friend!

Did you crush the heads of both dubia and the mealworm?
Both of these will burrow, dubia will also "play dead" - crushing the heads prevents all of that

Did you remove them if uneaten?

Yeah…getting comfortable might be a little bit too optimistic…but I am trying get used to caring for her and I feel quite ok with her living here.

I crushed the head of the dubia but not the mealworm. However, I did not leave her with them (I know that you should not do that and would not want to risk anything). I just dropped the dubia near her and she backed off immediately, so I removed the dubia and I tried with the mealworm instead.

She has not previously had dubia, so I figured she might want something familiar; but she showed no interest and just moved away slowly (so I removed the mealworm as well).

/SwedishArachnophobe84

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How long did you wait/leave the food item with her?

Ask the seller when she last ate.

Don't be surprised if she won't eat for a while...

Your miss T looks gorgeous. You will see that this fear will turn into love or into something good. For example my wife lost fear of spiders and now she doesn t want to smash the house spiders like before. She even lets them be or touches them. With less time than u expect you will change this fear. Congratulations on your brave attitude. Feeding T is a great step. Remove the uneaten prey with tongs slowly and try to feed her in a week or so. ;)

Thank you! I really hope so.
I did not leave her with the prey items (I know that you should not do that and would not want to risk anything). I will leave her alone for a bit longer, after all she did just arrive after being shipped…quite the stressful experience I imagine.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

How long did you wait/leave the food item with her?

Ask the seller when she last ate.

Don't be surprised if she won't eat for a while...

I only left them in for a short time (no more than a few minutes or so) …maybe I should have waited longer? I just figured since she showed no interest in the prey items and immediately moved in the opposite direction; that she was not hungry. Perhaps she is just shy and wants to eat alone?

Yes, I understand that she might not eat for a while, after all she just arrived after being shipped…quite the stressful experience I imagine.

/SwedishArachnophobe84

Latest posts