• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Semi experienced owner but newbie to the boards..

SeveredLimb

Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. Question at the end I'd appreciate feedback on.
I'm a semi experienced T owner, have owned various species over the years but currently I'm down to just 8 ..watch this space cause once the cold spell ends I'm going SHOPPING!!!
My 8 are all slings and juveniles and are:
A.Genticulata
C.Cyaneopubescens
P.Metalica
C.Versicolor
B.Vagans
T.Albopilosum
Y.Diversipes
A.Johnnycashi

I look forward to posting more plus some pics and picking your brains further but I have a question for now. My Johnnycashi is a tiny sling, I'd say between 1-2cm. I got him (they're all unsexed but for some reason I refer to them all as him, even though I hope they're mostly female but go figure) end of September. He has only molted once since I got him and that was 02/12/19. Almost straight away after that he had a promising looking black spot on his rump but other than that he is showing no other signs of pre-molt. He eats well and is quite mobile so I've no concerns for his wellbeing I'm just surprised he hasn't molted more in the time I've had him given his young age. I keep him in a small ventilated deli tub half filled with substrate with a small indentation covered with a plastic leaf for a hide/cave and a tiny seashell for a water bowl and humidity. He's kept in an unlit cabinet with only natural light, no direct sunlight, and a constant temp of 25 Celsius. I appreciate they're new to the hobby so info is scarce but are there any other keepers here who know about this species? Are they particularly slow growers?

Thanks for reading guys n gals, I look forward to your input.

m0lsx

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got my johnnnycashi at some point last summer & mine are yet to molt too. The same with my H chilensis.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything’s been said already but I did notice you put T albo but B vagans. They’re both now tliltocatl. You probably already know and it’s just a habit but just incase you weren’t aware :)

SeveredLimb

Everything’s been said already but I did notice you put T albo but B vagans. They’re both now tliltocatl. You probably already know and it’s just a habit but just incase you weren’t aware :)

The vagans name change was rejected in Novemebr, apparently. But opinion in the hobby is divided. I've always had a soft spot for the B's so i like to think of it as a Brachy