• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scolopendra polymorpha "Rio Grand"

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Got a S.polymorpha "Rio Grand" yearling as a freebie from Mastigoproctus on AB, beautiful little critter, and a good eater too! :)

Here are some pics!

Scolopendra%25232.JPG

Scolopendra%25233.JPG

Scolopendra%25234.JPG

Scolopendra%25236.JPG

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
they make me shiver....I don't have a clue why, millipedes don't.....just these guys...

Well, there's no better way to face your fear of them than to buy one, lol! :p This species is the best beginner species, and they seem to be pretty docile. My mom is deathly afraid of them as well, had to beg her to let me keep this one lol. :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thing is @Hisserdude , we get them inside, and I get something and nudge them onto it, put them in the leave pile I keep behind the bushes for those things, they just give me shivery chills...It's not fear so much, I don't freak out over them and I'm always protective of them, they just kind of gross me out...and they are pretty neat looking little guys but......-shivers-

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thing is @Hisserdude , we get them inside, and I get something and nudge them onto it, put them in the leave pile I keep behind the bushes for those things, they just give me shivery chills...It's not fear so much, I don't freak out over them and I'm always protective of them, they just kind of gross me out...and they are pretty neat looking little guys but......-shivers-
To me, they look like armored, many legged tanks. Apparently all the subspinipes sp are pretty venomous, and wont hesitate to bite. I was going to keep my 5" specimen in a cheese ball container with deep sub with a cork hide and leaves, etc. Now I'm reading about them chewing out of plastic enclosures..im thinkin glass. Yeah glass good.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member

Yeah, that's how I feel about certain flies, in particular these guys: http://bugguide.net/node/view/134 I'm not outright scared of them, they just give me the willies. I saw one while I was living in FL, it freaked me out, the way it moved and looked... So yeah, I kinda understand how you feel lol! :)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
To me, they look like armored, many legged tanks. Apparently all the subspinipes sp are pretty venomous, and wont hesitate to bite. I was going to keep my 5" specimen in a cheese ball container with deep sub with a cork hide and leaves, etc. Now I'm reading about them chewing out of plastic enclosures..im thinkin glass. Yeah glass good.

You should be OK using a plastic container, lots of people do, (me included). They don't have really strong mandibles, so the plastic would have to be pretty flimsy for them to chew out of it. Just make sure the lid is extremely tight, the best container you can give them is one with a screw on lid.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, that's how I feel about certain flies, in particular these guys: http://bugguide.net/node/view/134 I'm not outright scared of them, they just give me the willies. I saw one while I was living in FL, it freaked me out, the way it moved and looked... So yeah, I kinda understand how you feel lol! :)
now see after 25+ years in Florida I'm ok with them, they are all over the panhandle,
at least the Grallipeza nebulosa are :rolleyes:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
now see after 25+ years in Florida I'm ok with them, they are all over the panhandle,
at least the Grallipeza nebulosa are :rolleyes:

Hah, well luckily I only ever saw one of them, though if I saw them more often I probably would have learned to like them. The one I saw looked like Taeniaptera trivittata, your G.nebulosa actually don't freak me out compared to the T.trivittata.

Latest posts