• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe mesh

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Found some 3mm mesh online. That's the same size as the circular vent pieces that you see in so many enclosures. Do you think that would be safe.
If you're looking online for mesh to order, why don't you just order some hard plastic (perspex/acrylic) cut to size instead, and make sure you drill enough vent holes? Seems easier as I think everybody was assuming that you were querying a lid that you already had. Just make sure that you buy a small locking type mechanism so your t can't escape by pushing it open.

Edit: just noticed you did post further down that you swapped the original lid. So I'm assuming this is for an avic.? I agree that if they do get their tarsal claws stuck, they are adept enough dealing with challenges in their vertical world, to free themselves.

You could always add more vent holes to your current plastic lid. You don't need to make the holes bigger, you just need to make a lot more holes. However, if you're worried the holes are way too small, just make them roughly half the width of the t's carapace then drill loads of them. Every couple of inches is how I'd envisage placing them.

Last edited:

shaun

3 Year Member
That sounds like the holes can be quite big.
I just want to make sure the ventilation is sufficient.
Have lost a couple of avics now.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Just put a ton of holes in that acrylic lid you have now.
My rant,
I’m still waiting for anyone to post a photo of a arboreal stuck on a screen lid.
There’s more photos of Nessie and Sasquatch on the net then a arboreal stuck. Sheep hobbiests, one turd says something and everyone follows.
Rant over. :D

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Just put a ton of holes in that acrylic lid you have now.
My rant,
I’m still waiting for anyone to post a photo of a arboreal stuck on a screen lid.
There’s more photos of Nessie and Sasquatch on the net then a arboreal stuck. Sheep hobbiests, one turd says something and everyone follows.
Rant over. :D

I doubt anyone has one :)

I just thought it'd be easier to just stick more holes in his current lid than splash cash on another. Not a acrylic better than mesh thing. :)

shaun

3 Year Member
I am a new keeper and saw a thread about taking mesh tops out of exo terra to avoid entrapment. The thread didn't say that it only related to terrestrial so I immediately swopped it for a plastic top but maybe didn't make enough holes.
Will endeavour to make an enclosure with enough ventilation for a pink toe.
Fingers crossed.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I am a new keeper and saw a thread about taking mesh tops out of exo terra to avoid entrapment. The thread didn't say that it only related to terrestrial so I immediately swopped it for a plastic top but maybe didn't make enough holes.
Will endeavour to make an enclosure with enough ventilation for a pink toe.
Fingers crossed.

It is confusing for new keepers. Coventional wisdom says swap to hard plastic. But long time arboreal keepers (as you see posting on this thread) say that they have never experienced an arboreal tarantula get it's claws stuck on a mesh lid. I know who Id rather listen too. These guys know what they are talking about.

As @Hemolymph says, you can't have too many holes when it comes to Avics. As far as hole width goes, if the hole is smaller than the T's carapace then they can't escape. If it's a full grown tarantula, use common sense. Don't make them so wide that they can stick their legs out of (as @Arachnoclown has mentioned). Hope some of that helps!

Latest posts