• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe mesh

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend any type of mesh for the reason @regalis stated above. Some say arboreals are less likely to get caught or chew through the mesh, but I would say why take the chance. Acrylic tops are good because you can create your own ventilation.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics are fragile if not given sufficient ventilation and exo terras, althou suitable , don’t offer the best cross ventilation. However. I housed them in exo terras with no issues. I’d leave the mesh for them as you don’t want to restrict airflow any more. I did have a N Chromatus get her claw stuck in the mesh of an exo Terra but I changed all the lids to acrylic for terrestrials.

shaun

3 Year Member
Mmm, lots to ponder. I swopped out the original mesh top for plastic, but maybe didn't have enough holes.
Was thinking of wire mesh but of large (5mm " holes"#).
I'm not worried about food escaping, I wouldn't leave food unattended in there anyway.
Any thoughts?

KenD

Avics are fragile if not given sufficient ventilation and exo terras, althou suitable , don’t offer the best cross ventilation. However. I housed them in exo terras with no issues. I’d leave the mesh for them as you don’t want to restrict airflow any more. I did have a N Chromatus get her claw stuck in the mesh of an exo Terra but I changed all the lids to acrylic for terrestrials.
Exo Terras actually have quite good ventilation. Vents down at the front and at the top result in good air exchange. As air escapes at the top fresh air is drawn in at the front.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
I swap all mine on exo terra to acrylic as I heard one of my t's struggling on the mesh one night getting its feet caught.
Are you sure about that??? All I own are pokies in Exo Terra’s . When I hear them at night it’s usually the males ripping on the screen with their fangs to get out. There’s a slight noise every once in a while from a claw on the screen but they don’t get stuck. Have you ever heard them walk on carpet??? Sounds like Velcro. Should everyone change to hardwood floors so they don’t get stuck on the carpet?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
No. I gave my opinion based on my experience. You can do whatever pleases you. There is no right or wrong regarding these subjects only opinions. If you dont agree with mine dont post snide replies..... just write your own opinion! :)
I did also state from my experiences, 25 years of breeding Poecilotheria. It was my opinion. Only you are being snide. Did you actually see your spider stuck or did you just hear something? That’s all I was implying.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Exo Terras actually have quite good ventilation. Vents down at the front and at the top result in good air exchange. As air escapes at the top fresh air is drawn in at the front.

I’m well aware which is why I said they’re suitable and I use them without issues. But if you replace the mesh with acrylic it will reduce the flow and could be an issue.

regalis

I did also state from my experiences, 25 years of breeding Poecilotheria. It was my opinion. Only you are being snide. Did you actually see your spider stuck or did you just hear something? That’s all I was implying.
Dont worry about it. Somebody ask for advice and I gave an opinion based on an experience I had. I wont do it again.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"Move along....nothing to see here. Just clowning around!!!"
20190120_084639.jpg

shaun

3 Year Member
Can anyone comment on my question about using a large "cage" type wire with 5mm spaces. As I said earlier, I wouldn't leave feeders unattended, to escape.

Soulman

Are you sure about that??? All I own are pokies in Exo Terra’s . When I hear them at night it’s usually the males ripping on the screen with their fangs to get out. There’s a slight noise every once in a while from a claw on the screen but they don’t get stuck. Have you ever heard them walk on carpet??? Sounds like Velcro. Should everyone change to hardwood floors so they don’t get stuck on the carpet?
Yes I was told this,some people replace it with perspex.with holes.
Not trying to argue, I just want to know for a fact if a arboreal tarantula has got stuck. I’ve never seen one to date, only terrestrials.;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can anyone comment on my question about using a large "cage" type wire with 5mm spaces. As I said earlier, I wouldn't leave feeders unattended, to escape.
Absolutely not. That's way too big. A spider can literally stick its leg through it. Looking for problems for sure.

shaun

3 Year Member
Found some 3mm mesh online. That's the same size as the circular vent pieces that you see in so many enclosures. Do you think that would be safe.

Soulman

Found some 3mm mesh online. That's the same size as the circular vent pieces that you see in so many enclosures. Do you think that would be safe.
It's about that on the recipe one.I have seen it in a few enclosures.if be more happy to make a lot of pain holes in somthing.good clean and smooth.you No it's going to be safe.

Latest posts