• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe live feeder for small slings?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I use pinhead crickets, but they are a huge pain in the behind. Every time I open the tub I lose 10 or more. I know I can chill them in the fridge, but one time I forgot to take them out and the result was a ton of frozen pinhead crickets.
I keep my pinhead crickets in a tall plastic jar wide enough to fit the egg crate horizontally
in it, without a lid with opening wide enough to put my hand in and scoop them using 25 ml vial.This way I have no escaping
Regards Konstantin

prince charmless

Tribolium confusum larvae are just the right size for slings, just crush the head without damaging the body and they'll stay alive for a while and the slings will find them. I also use indian mealmoth larvae as i have a huge culture but those are pretty bad household pests. I dont eat cereal and seal everything so they arent an issue for me.
How does one confuse a flour beetle? Discuss string theory or plasma physics?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How does one confuse a flour beetle? Discuss string theory or plasma physics?
math gif.gif

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I use pinhead crickets, but they are a huge pain in the behind. Every time I open the tub I lose 10 or more. I know I can chill them in the fridge, but one time I forgot to take them out and the result was a ton of frozen pinhead crickets.

A refreshing summer treat.

Man, not pinheads, but I forgot how bouncy some crickets can be. I've been using silent crickets, really laid back. I almost think I could handle them. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a tub of banded crickets instead. Those things started firing off like bottle rockets when I opened them up.

I'm in the process of starting up some roach colonies to avoid many more jack-in-the-box surprises. Sling feeders will be redhead roaches, Oxyhaloa duesta. I'm pretty sure that doesn't help floridians though. I've heard of the restrictions but I don't know the list of permitted roaches. Discoids, and were there a couple of Pycnoscelus species on there too?

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I keep my pinhead crickets in a tall plastic jar wide enough to fit the egg crate horizontally
in it, without a lid with opening wide enough to put my hand in and scoop them using 25 ml vial.This way I have no escaping
Regards Konstantin

How tall is tall enough?

Latest posts