• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sad news, my beautiful Sasquatch has died.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm devastated that Sasquatch, my gorgeous Iridopelma hirsutum has died. It moulted just before Christmas and I had suspected that all was not well but it emerged with all legs in tact and began clambering around so I thought all was well. About a week ago it wedged itself right at the bottom of its container between the cork bark, plant and the side of the container all hunched up but not curled. When I blew on it there was some movement so I have been trickling water down the side a few times. I wanted to get it into an ICU, mainly so I could get a good look but I didn't dare move the cork in case I squashed it and I couldn't work out any other way of getting Sasquatch out without hurting it. Today I decided it was now or never, I'd not seen any movement yesterday, so I very gently lifted first the plant and then the cork bark out and the T came with it. Sad to say Sasquatch was dead. On examining it it looks as though some of its butt hadn't moulted properly.

I'd had Sasquatch just 1 year but it was a great favourite, so fuzzy and placid. RIP my little fur ball.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh no, so sorry to hear that. It sounds similar to my P. Met's death, minus the incomplete molt part :( (that said, because it was small, maybe I missed that bit?).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh no, so sorry to hear that. It sounds similar to my P. Met's death, minus the incomplete molt part :( (that said, because it was small, maybe I missed that bit?).

One problem was that it often tended to sit all squished up so it was always difficult to see its butt otherwise I may have noticed it sooner.

corij

3 Year Member
I might keep my eyes open for a sling after the weather warms up again.
i had my first texas tan sling die on me looked like it broke its neck. id noticed in a nearby store was another ,it was 4 times the price--- but i had to get it,to get over the loss. iv heard that said when dogs die,get another right away.

ages ago my own dog died,i never replaced her [got a T instead] but i often think of the dog!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i had my first texas tan sling die on me looked like it broke its neck. id noticed in a nearby store was another ,it was 4 times the price--- but i had to get it,to get over the loss. iv heard that said when dogs die,get another right away.

ages ago my own dog died,i never replaced her [got a T instead] but i often think of the dog!

You can never replace a pet simply because they are all so different.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 . Sorry to hear about your loss :(
On the upside your H.Pulchripes is doing fine it's just had a micro locust for T ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@sym Thank you. I still can't really believe it's gone.
It's good to hear Zulu's doing well. I can't wait to get him, and the sp red. I'm hoping to have the rest of the cash next week, the only worry is the weather.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49. I could make a day of it as I had planned to visit the cat breeder at some point and it's not a million miles from you so I could drop them both off if your ok with that ? Far to cold to send via the post. Cat show on Saturday :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm devastated that Sasquatch, my gorgeous Iridopelma hirsutum has died. It moulted just before Christmas and I had suspected that all was not well but it emerged with all legs in tact and began clambering around so I thought all was well. About a week ago it wedged itself right at the bottom of its container between the cork bark, plant and the side of the container all hunched up but not curled. When I blew on it there was some movement so I have been trickling water down the side a few times. I wanted to get it into an ICU, mainly so I could get a good look but I didn't dare move the cork in case I squashed it and I couldn't work out any other way of getting Sasquatch out without hurting it. Today I decided it was now or never, I'd not seen any movement yesterday, so I very gently lifted first the plant and then the cork bark out and the T came with it. Sad to say Sasquatch was dead. On examining it it looks as though some of its butt hadn't moulted properly.

I'd had Sasquatch just 1 year but it was a great favourite, so fuzzy and placid. RIP my little fur ball.
So sad. Sorry :( Gone to live on the big web in the sky. My Sully and Bo will look after it for you.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

My dog died in 2011 (she would have been 15 yesterday in fact) still can't think about replacing her....even with more T's. RIP Kira. Daddy still misses you darling.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh no hun!! I am so damned sorry :( Just got out of hospital or I would have posted sooner. :(

Latest posts