• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rosea or Porteri

LauraS

3 Year Member
This is my husband's tarantula. He purchased her as a G. rosea but has been recently thinking that it is a G. porteri instead. Which one is it? I vote rosea for the record but I'm no expert. ;)

IMG_20160120_134509.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a porteri like mine. The world spider catalog lists them as two separate species, but many believe they're just color forms, including me, and are awaiting a revision. Typically, brown, grey or silver are porteri, red are rosea. These are labeled by dealers, not taxonomists. All have pink on their carapace, although I had a mature male that went from very pink on his carapace post ultimate molt to bronze colored as he neared his death. He was a brown porteri. My girl is a grey porteri, with a very pink carapace. It's up in the air, but it's best to keep those color groups separate as far as breeding, just to be safe.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Porteri. LOVE the way those pinkish-purple carapaces contrast with the more muted gray/browns of the body! I, two, would love a final revision that definitively decides if the porteri/rosea are two different species or not. I've heard that there are physiological differences between the two, but nothing concrete.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll say this: A huge majority of G rosea/porteri in the hobby are wild caught, sold in LPS. When's the last time any of you guys saw the red color form for sale? The rosea. All I ever see is porteri, I've seen a hundred porteri in stores from Corpus Christi up to San Antonio, and have not once seen a rosea/RCF for sale. Have any of you?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unfortunately, they can't sell tarantulas in pet stores in my state (thanks Connecticut! :(), so I can't comment from personal experience. However, having been on the forums for a while and seen the pics most folks post of their "pet store rosies", the majority seem to be the porteri.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine's a pet shop Rosie, albeit UK and small shop that sources from breeders and she's definitely a Rosea (so was the other one they were selling at the time):
3ffGdjV.jpg

IMG_3306_zpsz0pycl1u.jpg
Lovely, i hope my "rosea" actually turns out to be a rosea and not a porteri. It came from KTBG but my fingers are still crossed. I'd love to have it that gorgeous red like yours :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd definitely add the red form to my collection but I do really like the grey/brown/silver with the pink carapace on the porteri, as Tom said. The colors contrast well, and adult females get rather stocky and impressive looking.

Last edited:

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
Unfortunately, they can't sell tarantulas in pet stores in my state (thanks Connecticut! :(), so I can't comment from personal experience. However, having been on the forums for a while and seen the pics most folks post of their "pet store rosies", the majority seem to be the porteri.

Remind me to never move to Connecticut! ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
On the subject of rosea v porteri, is there any difference between their slings?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll say this: A huge majority of G rosea/porteri in the hobby are wild caught, sold in LPS. When's the last time any of you guys saw the red color form for sale? The rosea. All I ever see is porteri, I've seen a hundred porteri in stores from Corpus Christi up to San Antonio, and have not once seen a rosea/RCF for sale. Have any of you?
I've seen them for sale at a pet store by me a few times, and on a few forums. They're not exactly super rare, but definitely much less common than the other form.